United 77Ws Aviation400 vs. NG

I think the skinnier fuselage of the AV400 is visible, especially when placed next to other 777s. The oversized antennas don't help the cause.

DSC_2953.jpeg

Still, AV's general mould quality and extra features do make them a solid 2nd choice. Certainly better than JC/GJ, PH and AC.

I don't own that many 777s, and only these two -300 for now, so can't really compare. I am happy with Phoenix's -200 though, they also have a clean wing-to-fuselage joint (cleaner than what I can see on AV's 77W) it is true that Phoenix is basic on the underside, but that's stuff you don't see anyway.

What molds does Aviation400 have that Aeroclassics also has?

I think the skinnier fuselage of the AV400 is visible, especially when placed next to other 777s. The oversized antennas don't help the cause.

View attachment 25394

I don't own that many 777s, and only these two -300 for now, so can't really compare. I am happy with Phoenix's -200 though, they also have a clean wing-to-fuselage joint (cleaner than what I can see on AV's 77W) it is true that Phoenix is basic on the underside, but that's stuff you don't see anyway.

What molds does Aviation400 have that Aeroclassics also has?
That was more a statement on general level of quality. AV doesn't suffer from outdated cradle moulds and consistent printing/QC errors. Plus oversized aerials are better than omitting them entirely, imo.

Sorry I have to chip in again because we are at 6%, not 3-4%. Why? Because the fuselage width is different from the length, for width, we need to look at the cross-section area.
This literally depends on how you are looking at it. 😄
So unless you really need to look at it exactly head or tail on, you'll only see the different diameter (IF you see it at all😉)
And here we're at 3.1%.

This all leads to an interesting point:
99% of reference pictures (in our heads, A.net or wherever) are NOT head on. Out of the remaining 1% pictures, >99% have an eye/sensor distance to object way short of infinite which leads to image (object) distortion.
So unless you know distance sensor<->object, physical focal length and lens correction data, you're lost when trying to see a few % give or take.
Just for the fun it: collect head on shots of both 772 and 773. Scale them in a way so that distance between wingtips exactlx matches. Even though by only a slight margin you'll find that in the mean average the 772 has the smaller fuselage diameter. Not because it is smaller, but because at given constant sensor<->wingtip vectors the 773 nose is closer to the sensor and so displays larger.

If you've got two comparison pictures taken at const. settings you should see the difference. So unless I screwed up😄, the distance should be measurable in the two head on shots I posted.
But even here, you can only measure the 3.1% due to the slightly elevated sensor position.
Edit: difference between these two is 3.79%, not 3.1% of course.☺️

It is not rubbish Richard, it is my opinion, based on my perceptions. When I say a brand is cheap I am not talking only about their product, but I also take into account their "substance." But I'll give it to you, my weird personal brand categorization should stay out of this, after one last rant 🙂.
Their substance? What does that mean? AV400 are as or more legitimate than any other brand, have produced models that come with free stands, and historically, free pushback tractors. Their box design is pretty nice in my opinion (rather similar to JC Wings actually) and the models have a load of features that add value (whether you like them or not). None of that sounds like a cheap brand - the sort that doesn't improve their moulds, has poor printing, bad QC and bland boxes. Those remarks account largely for at least two of the biggest brands in the scale!

That is why I consider your opinion in this case to be 'rubbish' because you are making some quite strong statements and haven't backed it up with much evidence of cheapness. Plus, you don't make these statements against other brands, which are clearly inferior. I get you were expecting more but the reaction seems out of proportion to the product received.

Aviation400 is not what I would call a premium brand and their recent United 77W is not what I would call a premium product.
I don't know what makes a premium brand or who claims to be one so this is something of a strawman but if you don't consider AV400 to be a premium brand then that means only NG Models is because in 400 scale at this point in time the ranking for product quality when taking everything into account looks like this:

1. NG Models
2. Aviation400 and Panda Models
3. JC Wings
4. Gemini Jets
5. Phoenix
6. Aeroclassics

All the cool gimmicks the model comes with look a bit misplaced in such a crude mold,
But the mould isn't crude and you haven't shown it to be so. It is slightly inferior to the NG 777 in a couple of places, at least as good as the JC Wings version and definitely superior to the Phoenix one. The same is true of the printing.

and the package does not help as it screams cheap mystery meat brand from China, as everything I have ever seen thus far from them does. Not an awful model by any means, but it couldn't be further from what I thought it would be based on "all the hype."
You know that AV400 are an offshoot of Inflight and are made in the Inflight factory? What screams cheap mystery meat brand about them?

My first 777-300s, and my first model made by the current version of Aviation400. I have never been particularly impressed with anything associated with the Aviation400 brand, and that remains true, unfortunately.

Granted, I have not seen their A380s and their new magnetic landing gears. I also would love to get my hands on one of the Lan Chile 747s they released in a previous life.

I agree with you on some points. However I prefer the titling main gear (even if the flaps are retracted). This option add realism for people, like me, who doesn’t want a static model without landing gear actuator system.

The AV400 777 cockpit window looks a bit "angry" and the gold is too yellow (its my opinion and its subjective). However, I love the titling gear and beacon lights. AV400 also wins for the details on the fuselage.

NG has improved their 777 but some details are missing, the cockpit window, which is too small, can be improved and the engine must be a little bigger or shorter. The colors are not too bad I think.

For me, the best 777 mould is the JCW/GJ one. JCW for asian and oceanian airlines. GJ for american and european airlines.

Last edited:
Their substance? What does that mean? AV400 are as or more legitimate than any other brand, have produced models that come with free stands, and historically, free pushback tractors. Their box design is pretty nice in my opinion (rather similar to JC Wings actually) and the models have a load of features that add value (whether you like them or not). None of that sounds like a cheap brand - the sort that doesn't improve their moulds, has poor printing, bad QC and bland boxes. Those remarks account largely for at least two of the biggest brands in the scale!

That is why I consider your opinion in this case to be 'rubbish' because you are making some quite strong statements and haven't backed it up with much evidence of cheapness. Plus, you don't make these statements against other brands, which are clearly inferior. I get you were expecting more but the reaction seems out of proportion to the product received.

I don't know what makes a premium brand or who claims to be one so this is something of a strawman but if you don't consider AV400 to be a premium brand then that means only NG Models is because in 400 scale at this point in time the ranking for product quality when taking everything into account looks like this:

1. NG Models
2. Aviation400 and Panda Models
3. JC Wings
4. Gemini Jets
5. Phoenix
6. Aeroclassics

But the mould isn't crude and you haven't shown it to be so. It is slightly inferior to the NG 777 in a couple of places, at least as good as the JC Wings version and definitely superior to the Phoenix one. The same is true of the printing.

You know that AV400 are an offshoot of Inflight and are made in the Inflight factory? What screams cheap mystery meat brand about them?

This thread was going down the wrong way. I sort of answered here.