GeminiJets vs. Dragon Wings: United Continental 767-424ER

Jazajia

Untitled.jpg

Here is my take on the new GeminiJets United 767-424ER and how it compares to Dragon Wings' Continental example from 23 years ago. My findings are in line with those of Richard, but there are a couple of extra things I mention, plus, my models are wearing a different livery than Richard's, so there is that also. Not really a mold review per see, but more of a model assessment, all combined, livery, mold, QC, etc...

Nice review. I'm also in the same quandary re the CO version. I'm also thinking I'll just keep the Dragon version I own. It is a shame that Gemini put so little effort into this new one. I don't really understand why they cut so many corners (with the engines especially).

Both indeed have their pros and cons but I guess Dragon wings for me. The short nose gear of the new Gemini version looks quite weird to me.

Nice review. I'm also in the same quandary re the CO version. I'm also thinking I'll just keep the Dragon version I own. It is a shame that Gemini put so little effort into this new one. I don't really understand why they cut so many corners (with the engines especially).

Thanks. I think they know the models will sell regardless, so they do the minimum. Producing a better product will cost more time and money, but will it yield more profits to justify the extra effort? I'm not justifying their sloppiness, but I'd imagine that's what they look at.

Both indeed have their pros and cons but I guess Dragon wings for me. The short nose gear of the new Gemini version looks quite weird to me.

The Dragon example looks very sharp and solid. It is its lack of detail that makes it look toyish under the macro lens. The thing is Gemini's fuselage is actually quite good, so you throw some makeup on it, ignore the engine and gear details and it looks fresher, to me at least.

It is not easy to compare models from two different generations, as Richard pointed out in his review also. It is like comparing apples to oranges to some extent. If the Dragon model had current level of detail and landing gear it will blow GJ's away, no doubt. Likewise, if the GJ one had the correct NLG height, proper engines (the engines are a total mess, really), and better-tailored artwork, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

BTW for anyone interested, a Herpa example popped up on the Waffle sale two days ago for $40. At a glance, it looks okay. The only issues I can spot are the reg printed too high, covering part of the golden line, and oddly shaped nose gear doors, similar to DW. The nose gear height looks correct. The engines look beautiful, though I can't see if the inboard strake is there. Besides the reg issue, the artwork looks very good. It doesn't have the nose cone or antennas, of course, but it does have some very discrete and elegant door handles.