2023 Review: my Model of the Year awards

mike_charlie_lima

Inspired by @quanng the other day, i took a look of the models i've collected this year and gave them my personal awards in 7 categories as follow:
Model of the Year, Old Release of the Year, Innovation of the Year, Best value of the Year, Bust of the Year, Best Release from Each Manufacturer, and Future Expectations Award. Each award has 3 aircraft models.
Let's start.

First up is the Best Release from Each Manufacturer, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411400072.png
Aviation 400: Airbus A380-841 China Southern B-6136
Reason for winning: While China Southern's A380 retired, Aviation 400 brought in a A380 to life. It not only makes up for missing the chance to collect the PH version of China Southern's A380 but also provides better molds and innovative magnetic landing gear compared to the PH's previous releases.
Phoenix Models: Boeing 47-243B CAAC B-2440
Reason for winning: Despite PH's poor rendition of the 747, their choice of subjects has been commendable, especially with this CAAC 742, giving many people a chance to collect before NG released its own 742.
NG Models: Boeing 747-87UF Atlas Air N863GT
Reason for winning: The best 747 mold at the moment, the last 747 off the line, a rare green livery - you can't find a more topical and attention-grabbing model in 2023.
JC Wings: Boeing 377SGT “Super Guppy” Aero Spacelines F-BTGV
Reason for winning: JC's dedication to niche subjects and model diversity is admirable. The joint release with AviationTag of the Super Rainbow Fish with a real aircraft skin set is the best proof of this.
Other brands: Geminijets Boeing VC25-A USAF “AIR FORCE ONE” 82-8000
Reason for winning: Air Force One is back, and does the world's most powerful 747 need any more reasons?

Next is the Best Value of the Year, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411477471.png
Third place: Bluewings Antonov AN-225 CCCP-82060 Mriya with Buran Orbiter
Reason for winning: Just over 56USD at the retail, down to an actual paid price of 36USD during mid-year sale, close to a 60% discount, comparable to Herpa's work.
Second place: Aviation400 Airbus A330MRTT RSAF 761
Reason for winning: Around 30USD paid price, but what you get is A330MRTT with details comparable to 200 scale.
First place: JC Summer Sale
Reason for winning: JC's unprecedented buy-one-get-one-free promotion during the summer sale, coupled with the generosity of local dealers, is unparalleled. 200 scale at the price of 400 scale, just grab it nothing else.

Next is the Innovation of the Year, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411523534.png
Third place: Bluewings Antonov AN-124 Interactive
Reason for winning: While everyone is remembering and hyping the An-225, there is little attention on the An-124. BW not only released the An-124 based on the An-225 but also added the interactive version, worthy of praise.
Second place: JC Wings Airbus A300B4-608ST “Beluga” Interactive
Reason for winning: JC's interactive series are nothing new, but the release of the Beluga fills in the last piece of the puzzle for the Airbus special transport aircraft series.
First place: Aviation400 A380 with magnetic landing gear
Reason for winning: The first removable magnetic landing gear for the 400 scale. Refined and precise. It elevates the playability of the 400 to new heights.

Next is the Bust of the Year, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411560915.png
Third place: JC Wings Boeing 747-SP21 NASA N145UA “SOFIA”
Reason for winning: Although JC's 747SP is already mediocre, the printing details of the rare SOFIA x UA joint livery are even worse.
Second place: Bluewings Antonov AN-124 Antonov UR-82027 Interactive
Reason for winning: At distance it looks good overall, but a closer look at the details brings disappointment.
First place: NG Models COMAC C919 China Eastern B-919A
Reason for winning: The first delivery of the 919, also my first narrow-body aircraft. It's just too small; there's a reason for not collecting narrow-body aircraft.

Next is the Future Expectations Award, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411626115.png
Third place: Aviation400 Boeing 777 -381ER ANA JA784A “Eevee Jet NH”
Reason for winning: The latest Pokémon-themed wide-body aircraft. Who doesn't love Eevee?
Second place: JC Wings Boeing 747-467FSCD Cathay Pacific B-HUP “Silver Bullet” Interactive
Reason for winning: Although delayed by half a year, the classic livery of a classic airline on the 744F with an interactive nose door is worth the wait.
First place: NG Models Boeing 747-830 Lufthansa D-ABYT “Retro Livery”
Reason for winning: The best 747-8 mold, one of the most popular airlines, and the most retro 747-8 livery. Looking forward to it.

Finally, the Old Release of the Year, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411666770.png
Third place: Phoenix Models Ilyushin 96-300 Rossiya Airlines RA-96017
Reason for winning: Missed the PU version for various reasons but received the same livery Il-963 at a reasonable price, still worthwhile.
Second place: Phoenix Models Boeing 777-312 Singapore Airlines 9V-SYL
Reason for winning: Rare aircraft type with a rare livery, finally received.
First place: Phoenix Models Boeing 777-212ER Singapore Airlines 9V-SRI
Reason for winning: Singapore Airlines 772 with the second-generation Star Alliance livery, probably the best-looking Star Alliance livery.

Lastly, the Model of the Year, and the list of winners is as follows:
1703411739288.png
Third place: JC Wings Boeing 377SGT “Super Guppy” Aero Spacelines F-BTGV
Reason for winning: Turboprop, NASA, the birth of Airbus, with aviation tag. It combines topicality, classicism, rarity, and uniqueness.
Second place: Aviation400 Airbus A380-841 China Southern B-6136
Reason for winning: As the A380 gradually retires, Aviation400 enters the market with a completely new approach and retains all its advantages.
First place: NG Models Boeing 747-87UF Atlas Air N863GT
Reason for winning: The last 747 has rolled off the line, but a new round of 747 has begun.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and reading. Welcome to share your best purchase of this year or your personal awards.
Wish you all a happy holiday season and get your ideal models in 2024!

Thank you so much for sharing your choice for MoTY! What makes me surprised the most is the BlueWings An-124 as it falls to 2 head-to-head categories: Innovation and Bust of the Year. Btw I also have that MU C919, did you get the version with or without the stand?

I'm torn between NG's 747-8F and their Cathay TriStar VR-HHK. The first one is great for the mould while the Cathay - even though it could have been done with polished wings too - just looks amazing, even under some maginification.
VRHHK1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
It feels just so real! Excellent capture, Sir!

Thank you so much for sharing your choice for MoTY! What makes me surprised the most is the BlueWings An-124 as it falls to 2 head-to-head categories: Innovation and Bust of the Year. Btw I also have that MU C919, did you get the version with or without the stand?
I get the one with stand, which i didnt mention but the pin on top of the stand is so tight in the belly of the C919 that it comes out from the stand itself when pulling (which adds to the disappointment). otherwise it's a nice stand, now im just worried if it will be tight on other "classic" NG models as well since they do also come with stand...

I get the one with stand, which i didnt mention but the pin on top of the stand is so tight in the belly of the C919 that it comes out from the stand itself when pulling (which adds to the disappointment). otherwise it's a nice stand, now im just worried if it will be tight on other "classic" NG models as well since they do also come with stand...
The same problem occurred to me as well, which is irritating considering that the stand is made exclusively to the type. Oh well at least it is still useable by fitting on another product of NG - a Tupolev 204!