NG Model 1:400 December 2023 Release Hints

They overtook all the errors of the announement artwork. The off center printed tail logo stand alone kills it for me.
Is the undercarriage a flat gray or metallic? It should be metallic, it looks flat in the photos. Normally I'd swap my Gemini model for an NG version but not in this case..

d-abyt-lufthansa-boeing-747-830_PlanespottersNet_1489712_a199a3694a_o.jpg
NG has made a fabulous model. Comparison with this reinforces it.

Far far superior than the 'licensed' GJ one, and of course way ahead of the YY one
GJ has got quite a few things incorrect on their livery design - the font is off in that one as well - and the placement of the disc within the rudder.for one -surprising considering Lufthansa was involved in its design and production?
And the GJ/JC mould is way inferior too - just see the nose for instance.

I'm glad I pre-ordered this. Sold out in a jiffy at my preferred retailer, and they'd got more than twice their usual MOQ.

Needless NG bashing is customary from certain quarters - kudos need to be given where deserved I'd say?

Last edited:
View attachment 27132
NG has made a fabulous model. Comparison with this reinforces it.

Far far superior than the 'licensed' GJ one, and of course way ahead of the YY one
GJ has got quite a few things incorrect on their livery design - the font for one - and even the placement of the disc within. the rudder.-surprising considering Lufthansa was involved in its design and production?
And the GJ/JC mould is way inferior too - just see the nose for instance.

I'm glad I pre-ordered this. Sold out in a jiffy at my preferred retailer, and they'd got more than twice their usual MOQ.

Needless NG bashing is customary from certain quarters - kudos need to be given where deserved I'd say?
I should mention I agree 100% and i don’t mean to bash NG, my comment meant as a whole to the recent issues. I know NG is a fantastic brand it’s just sad to see some issues slip through cause I know they are better than this. I should mention the 748 looks AMAZING and deserves more credit than the amount of people nitpicking it.

I know NG is a fantastic brand it’s just sad to see some issues slip through cause I know they are better than this. I should mention the 748 looks AMAZING and deserves more credit than the amount of people nitpicking it.
Yes - it's not 100pc perfect - rarely will a model do that.
Unfortunately, overblown nitpicking will end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Is the undercarriage a flat gray or metallic? It should be metallic, it looks flat in the photos. Normally I'd swap my Gemini model for an NG version but not in this case..

Undercarriage is seldom metallic. Most landing gear struts and hubs that I have seen are flat white stained with a mixture of grease, brake dust, and Skydrol. I do agree that we tend to associate a metallic color with those parts as they are often depicted as metallic (not only in models).

Yeah NG's is leagues ahead of the others, a revised cockpit window would make it perfect.

For some reason, I tend to like the artwork on the YY one better. Yeah, it's got that unrefined slot for the wings. Since the days of Dragon Wings nobody has been able to consistently get the 747 cockpit windows right.

Really hoped someone would finally make 747s with good cockpit windows, but sadly no. The YY looks surprisingly good from this angle, but NG still the best and GJ on the bottom by quite a margin.

Gemini Jets has currently the best 747 mould. I recently received their 1:400 AtlasAir/Apex last 747-8F and it is perfect! All my GJ 747s are very realistic (even the older moulds).

Yeah this shuts down any argument that NGs is bad, looks the most realistic too me. Can’t lie though the YY one is quite nice for its price, and GJ just looks like a joke (per usual)
Yeah NG's is leagues ahead of the others, a revised cockpit window would make it perfect.
For the record, I just thought putting them all together would make the comparison easier. Everyone is free to choose which one they prefer.

For the record, I just thought putting them all together would make the comparison easier. Everyone is free to choose which one they prefer.
Everyone is free to choose but not everyone is right - ha ha ha! The photo comparison makes things very clear.
Gemini Jets has currently the best 747 mould. I recently received their 1:400 AtlasAir/Apex last 747-8F and it is perfect! All my GJ 747s are very realistic (even the older moulds).
If you are going to make that claim then at least pretend to have some evidence to back it up. Older Gemini 747-200/400s, while perfectly fine, have never been the best on the market overall - a case can now be made for the JC 744 mould they are using. Their 747-8I is quite obviously some distance behind the NG (and probably the YY as well). The GJ/JC 747-8F has hump issues that do damage its quality. They are ok moulds, and I own both, but to suggest they are the best in 2024 is surprising!

What all is off on the D-ABYT? Just curious.

There's two major things irking my eyes, both I had already "nitpicked" during artwork stage.
Most annoying (to my eyes at least): the tail logo being printed far off center, should mean, the LH disc should be painted to the center of those tails. NG printed it way lower and slightly forward. As pictures say more than words, below are the relevant lines (vector overlay) comparing both NG and the real thing. NG in green, the real thing in red. I'm curious on the general shape though and will check in detail once I have the model in hands, but the general issue is obvious.
LHtail747 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Another issue is the titles - as usual with NG. I struggle to understand why getting titles/fonts is so incredibly hard for them. Though I have to say they turn out way better than expected.
Lastly, I'm still totally curious about the light grey / silver mica color. I'm unable to identify what the model has and need to wait until I hold my copy in hands.
The real thing has silver mica where the original D-ABYT (747-230B) had bare metal and has light grey were the -230B had light grey as well.