IND retro airport project

Concourse C jetways are now finished. I have some photos, and of course I had to place some aircraft at the gates:
Overall view looking north:
C1A.jpg
Looking east:
C1B.jpg
Gate C1 with a United 737-222, C3 with a United 727-222, C5 with a Continental DC-9-30, C6 with a Continental 727-224A, C7 with an American Trans Air L-1011, and gate C8 with Southwest 737-3H4 N629SW Silver One:C1C.jpgCloser view of gates C1, C3, C5 and C6:
C1D.jpg
Gate C8 with Southwest Silver One, C9 with Southwest 737-3H4, and C10 with an American Trans Air 727-200:
C1E.jpg
On to concourse D

Last edited:
Concourse C jetways are now finished. I have some photos, and of course I had to place some aircraft at the gates:
Overall view looking north:
View attachment 17167
Looking east:
View attachment 17168
Gate C1 with a United 737-222, C3 with a United 727-222, C5 with a Continental DC-9-30, C6 with a Continental 727-224A, C7 with an American Trans Air L-1011, and gate C8 with Southwest 737-3H4 N629SW Silver One:View attachment 17169Closer view of gates C1, C3, C5 and C6:
View attachment 17170
Gate C8 with Southwest Silver One, C9 with Southwest 737-3H4, and C10 with an American Trans Air 727-200:
View attachment 17171
On to concourse D
You have done a fantastic job on these terminals and jetways.

Thank you so much, Mikeymag. 10 more jetways to go, then the real fun starts....applying all of the window and door decals for the entire terminal, and of course, gate number decals for the jetways.

Concourse D jetways are now finished. Here's some photos:
Overall view looking south:
D1A.jpg
Looking north:
D1B.jpg
Some aircraft at the gates: USAir BAC 1-11 at gate D2, USAir 727-200 at gate D4, USAir DC-9-30 in white top at gate D6, USAir DC-9-30 in bare metal at gate D8, Pan Am L-1011-500 at gate D10 (yes, these flew into IND on a daily scheduled flight IND-DTW-JFK-LHR and return), Ozark DC-9-30 at gate D9, and a USAir 737-2B7 at gate D5.
D1C.jpg
A better view of gates D2, D4, D6 and D8:
D1D.jpg
Close up view of gates D10 and D9:
D1E.jpg
I will probably take a break and then get started on the decals for the jetways and terminal.

Last edited:
While my dad finishes up work on the building and jetways, I am undertaking the painstaking task of researching historic flight schedules and reconstructing a day by day log of scheduled aircraft movements, for one week within each schedule period. I'm aiming to put together at least one per year. This will give a detailed listing of what's at each gate at any arbitrary point during the day, in order to aid in accurately setting up for photos. It's all in Excel, and the gate occupancy tracking is automated using formulas. For each of the 34 gates, there is one column showing what should be at that gate following each movement, by airline and type.

Unfortunately, due to cost limitations as well as the need for portability, we were unable to include ground and building lighting effects for night operations. Is there a way to post process photos to simulate different times of day and weather conditions?

While my dad finishes up work on the building and jetways, I am undertaking the painstaking task of researching historic flight schedules and reconstructing a day by day log of scheduled aircraft movements, for one week within each schedule period. I'm aiming to put together at least one per year. This will give a detailed listing of what's at each gate at any arbitrary point during the day, in order to aid in accurately setting up for photos. It's all in Excel, and the gate occupancy tracking is automated using formulas. For each of the 34 gates, there is one column showing what should be at that gate following each movement, by airline and type.

Unfortunately, due to cost limitations as well as the need for portability, we were unable to include ground and building lighting effects for night operations. Is there a way to post process photos to simulate different times of day and weather conditions?
I think you could edit in rain drops if you manage to find high quality stock photos or water your planes each time you need special weather conditions. Though I never tried it myself. Also you're lucky you have a father who shares the same goals as you!

I think you could edit in rain drops if you manage to find high quality stock photos or water your planes each time you need special weather conditions. Though I never tried it myself. Also you're lucky you have a father who shares the same goals as you!
I think getting the planes wet could harm the finish (depending on the livery); I would recommend using stock photos.

It's actually his project but I'm helping where I can from a technological standpoint. I analyze data with Excel all day long for my career, so it's a natural fit here.

I think getting the planes wet could harm the finish (depending on the livery); I would recommend using stock photos.
Oh no, I was not ever thinking about using real water. Just wondering if there's a way to edit photos to simulate a cloudy sky or snow or fog, the like. Or to set up a night scene and edit in all the lighting on the building, ground, and aircraft...

Oh no, I was not ever thinking about using real water. Just wondering if there's a way to edit photos to simulate a cloudy sky or snow or fog, the like. Or to set up a night scene and edit in all the lighting on the building, ground, and aircraft...
Oh yeah… yeah that definitely works.

Yeah. Though its all for the photo right?
It's actually his project but I'm helping where I can from a technological standpoint. I analyze data with Excel all day long for my career, so it's a natural fit here.
Still though. I've never worked with my father like that! Except when I need model planes..

I have the first set of schedules (a week out of October '91) all finished up in Excel. Is there a way I can share it here to serve as a source of inspiration to those who are looking to do something similar (or also happen to be interested in building IND on their own)?

I have the first set of schedules (a week out of October '91) all finished up in Excel. Is there a way I can share it here to serve as a source of inspiration to those who are looking to do something similar (or also happen to be interested in building IND on their own)?
If it's in Microsoft365 you should be able to share the link otherwise I'm not sure

Another update. After taking a nice, long break...decal work has started. The first section, Concourse A section 1 is now complete (only 4 decals involved, but I've got to start somewhere.).. here's a couple of photos of the finished piece:
West side of section 1...the end to the right connects to the main terminal.
IND A1A 2.jpg
East side of section 1...the end to the right connects to section 2, which has gates 30 and 31..later A1 and A2.
IND A1A 1.jpg
I'll probably do sections 3 and 5 next, as they have these same corridor windows... plus some overhead doors on the lower level.

Concourse A section 3 is now complete. Here's some photos:

West side of section 3..section 2 with gates A1 And A2 joins to the right, section 4 with gates A3 and A4 joins to the left. I stood this piece on end so that the overhead door on the far left is visible.
IND A3A.jpg
West side of section 3, just a different view.
IND A3B.jpg
East side of section 3.
IND A3C.jpg
I'll probably start on section 5 tomorrow.

Just finished concourse A, section 5. Here's a couple of photos:
West side of section 5.. Gates 34 & 35 are to the left, and gates 32 & 33 are to the right.
IND A5A.jpg
East side of section 5.
IND A5B.jpg
Next up...concourse A section 2...boarding lounge and gates 30 & 31.

Just finished concourse A section 2...boarding lounge area for gates 30 and 31...renumbered to A1 and A2. Here's a couple of photos.
West side of the section, with gate A1 on the left end.
IND A2A.jpg
East end of the section with gate A2 at the left end.
IND A2B.jpg
I'll move on to concourse A section 4 next. The support columns will be done after all decals have been applied.