GJ May releases

Tbh, from the artwork, I don’t think the new LH B744 current scheme is made on the new mould. It showed a big seam, which is not very encouraging. Another potential sign is that this LH does not offer flaps down option as well, which is somewhat traditional on the new mould used by GJ/JC. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see which mould is used to produce this somewhat highly-sought after subject.

Tbh, from the artwork, I don’t think the new LH B744 current scheme is made on the new mould. It showed a big seam, which is not very encouraging. Another potential sign is that this LH does not offer flaps down option as well, which is somewhat traditional on the new mould used by GJ/JC. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see which mould is used to produce this somewhat highly-sought after subject.
Have GJ ever used the new mould? They recently released a UPS 744 with no rolling gears (I hope that was not the new mould) whereas their older 744 has rolling gears.

Have GJ ever used the new mould? They recently released a UPS 744 with no rolling gears (I hope that was not the new mould) whereas their older 744 has rolling gears.
Yes, they have. All of their recent 744s were on it, and they all had rolling gears. You must have just gotten one with bad QC, making the gears stiff.

Ugh.....my head hurts after reading the ramblings by old mate 77W.
Nothing from GJ to interest me this month unfortunate, was hoping we'd get an Alliance E190 but alas, no luck.
I wouldn’t mind a standard QQ F70 either. But of course, GJ will be GJ and only release models for a certain few demographics.

Yes, they have. All of their recent 744s were on it, and they all had rolling gears. You must have just gotten one with bad QC, making the gears stiff.
Ok thank you for the information. Also, the gears has very poor details on this one (it looks like herpa gears in 1:500) and they can’t tilt (I prefer when there is this feature).

Ok thank you for the information. Also, the gears has very poor details on this one (it looks like herpa gears in 1:500) and they can’t tilt (I prefer when there is this feature).
Sorry, I stand corrected. You are right. The latest UPS 747 by GJ was on the old mould and does have the original style gears. I suspect this one has been lying around at their warehouse for years before finally being released, since IIRC those gears were phased out a decade ago . That is most likely an exception, and (fingers crossed) most upcoming 744 releases from Gemini will be on the new mould.

One quick way to tell is to check if its a seamed or slot-in wings mould. If it's the former, it's on the old mould, and if it's the latter, it's on the new one.

New:

1716190585950.png

Old:

1716190607956.png

So why did they use the "new" mould for N580UP, which is a 747-400F and has always been a freighter version (operated buy Cargolux from 1995 to 2009, when it was delivered to UPS), and then use an older mould for N581UP?
Because N580UP was an interactive series model and they have a new mould for the interactive series but not for a standard release.