Aeroclassics February 2024 release

quanng

The latest AC release is here! As expected this set includes a pair of highly-sought scheme 741s: Pan Am and BOAC. A quints of AA Heritage A321 is also available on the set.

1707523943513.png
And a big Happy Lunar New Year to those who celebrates! It’s 7AM at my place for the first day of the Year of the Dragon.

The Pan Am is tempting, if it comes without the flaws of the previous releases ofcourse.

Finally, a Pan Am 747 with the large bold font and thin cheatline, the prototypical look of the '70's. This has never been done before on the BB400 tooling, so that's been a very long time coming. Also nice to see a correct 'BOAC' 747 with consistent typeface, in contrast to the BB400 attempt years back. Up until now only Gemini had that right on their even earlier 1999-2000 era release.

Last edited:
The A321s are neat but I'm going to wait for GJ. They've already announced them as future releases. Hopefully not all at once.

About the PAN AM 741 - you may want to look at my pictures below:
20240207_220145.JPG20240207_220206.JPG
I would say they're every bit as awful as the previous JAL/United Saul Bass/Alitalia/THAI/El Al 747s:mad::mad:

About the PAN AM 741 - you may want to look at my pictures below:
View attachment 27365View attachment 27366
I would say they're every bit as awful as the previous JAL/United Saul Bass/Alitalia/THAI/El Al 747s:mad::mad:

This is a well-intended comment, but I don't think you are doing a good job at discrediting the model 😄. It has the low cockpit windows and segmented leading edges we already know about. I'm sure the underwing corroguard also passes over the flap track fairings. Aside from those known issues, it looks quite decent overall.

Edit: nose cone looks also screwy, doesn't it?

1707541764760.png

Still thinking about getting it.

Last edited:
I think so, they retooled the wheels and much better. We compared them against NG’s 320’s and AC’s are much better
Just in terms of printwork Aeroclassics is seriously inferior let alone the mould detailing and lack of aerials. The AC undercarriage is poor still - the wheels have no hubs. How has it been retooled?

It is a decent mould but there's no way it is better than the NGs unless you're on about the windowline.

BBX41676.jpg
The 747s do look better than previous months and they had a lot of help with the BOAC from Adrian.

The Yu A300 will be the last Aeroclassics mould usage by them. The owner has been fuming about the awful quality of the models they've made for him and how many he's had to send back. Keep an eye out for Yu's own product coming soon.

Finally, a Pan Am 747 with the large bold font and thin cheatline, the prototypical look of the '70's. This has never been done before in 1:400, so that's been a very long time coming. Also nice to see a correct 'BOAC' 747 with consistent typeface, in contrast to the BB400 attempt years back. Up until now only Gemini had that right on their even earlier 1999-2000 era release.
That's not quite true as Gemini did make the standard 1976 colours once way way back:

PA_80.JPG

Can anyone actually find a photo of N741PA with this cheatline configuration? Even the photo they are using to sell the model (and presumably the one used for reference too) has the angled cut-off cheatline at the front not one that meets the radome. The radome also looks way too small. That is also the only photo I have found with a grey radome not the standard white and it is a little unclear whether when it had a grey radome it had the black tip.

As you can see by 1982 Clipper Kit Carson had been renamed Clipper Sparkling Wave so this aircraft only wore this name between 1977 and 1982.

PANAM741_AC_N741PA.jpg

As for radomes in general, it only takes some hail or a bird and they get changed.
In case of this airframe's nose, I wouldn't want to bet on if it existed this way or not.

As for radomes in general, it only takes some hail or a bird and they get changed.
In case of this airframe's nose, I wouldn't want to bet on if it existed this way or not.
It's the angled cheatline I'm on about. This Pan Am scheme had the angled cheatline tip. It shouldn't go straight onto the radome like that as if it was a straight through cheatline (like the original Pan Am 747). If there is no corroborating photos then that is a step too inaccurate for me but I could be wrong about this?

Checking Airliners.net there are multiple shots of 747s in this scheme with the grey nosecone. None have the cheatline meeting the radome and none have the black tip either:

N740PA, N739PA, N656PA, N732PA.

The black tip only appears on the standard white radome. Why oh why can't Aeroclassics factory staff use more than a single photo when they do their design?

Last edited: