Phoenix October Release

A relief month for me. Only the Brussels Air A333 caught my eye but it isn't high on the priority list. The Iraqi 788 is cool but not with that PHX Dreamliner wingflex.
Plus there's a JC one in the pipeline so there's not much of a reason to get the Phoenix one anyways

… say what you want about the awful 747 mold but if that is the SWR livery they release then finally somebody did it - take my money Phoenix!!! Besides this absolute highlight - overall great set in my view once more best set of any manufacturer for the month.

I couldn't agree more. One of my holy grails, never done before in 1/400.

And yes, the mould isn't the best but no-one else seems to care for classic 747s:

JC probably has access to the fine BB400 mould but doesn't release any classic 747s at all.
Aeroclassics is rumoured to have bought 747 blanks but we haven't seen any new release for quite some time.
NG Models has still a lot of work to do on their classic 747 mould.

So if no-one else wants my money, Phoenix it is.

I couldn't agree more. One of my holy grails, never done before in 1/400.

And yes, the mould isn't the best but no-one else seems to care for classic 747s:

JC probably has access to the fine BB400 mould but doesn't release any classic 747s at all.
Aeroclassics is rumoured to have bought 747 blanks but we haven't seen any new release for quite some time.
NG Models has still a lot of work to do on their classic 747 mould.

So if no-one else wants my money, Phoenix it is.
JC does have the BB400 747 tooling, they hardly use it but now has yet another Singapore Airlines B.747-200 in ‘70’s delivery c/s up for preorder (9V-SQO)…shame that’s all they can come up with.

AC will be waiting for a ‘strategic’ moment to drop their next round of 747s most likely. They’ll be hanging on for NG 😂

I’ll be watching this space myself…

Talk about BB400 747 tooling - I heard rumours that the tooling currently is not under the control of JC - hence they're not that accessible as many of us might have thought. (Which might somehow explain why the Dragonair Cargo 742F and GJ VC-25A is stuck with the GJ mould - but then again, god knows how far in advance does JC made them)

Though I still have to say, GJ and JC's (Especially GJ) negligence on the classic 747 market is criminal LOL - especially since they're the only factory that has the ability to produce any 747 varient(At least by now) - and the fact that some of the best 747 renditions in 400 scale are accessible by them LOL.

I'd rather wait for a good model on a good mould than get an average model on an ok mould instantly. Waiting is usually worth it in this hobby

This is my approach now. When I get a GJ, JC, PH there is always some small defects here or there, which is very annoying given the existence of Panda/NG/HYJL (especially the upgrading thing, kinda forced but costly). So unless it's some very very rare model that are too random for the new players to make, such as Qantas Nalanji Dreaming, I just wait it out until Panda/NG/HYJL makes them, which can reach the "terminal" status in my fleet.