NG Models Official Wechat Post

Interesting theory. But you could also see this as a marketing test shot for the mould. If there are enough who consider this "good enough" there wont be any major retooling for future releases maybe.
Or - and this would be my hope - really have this parallel in the portfolio and start over from scratch with a 747Classic mould. One that is worthy to carry their nane.
forgot to mention, i just learned from a local retailer that these will be arriving in around 2 weeks time (CN domestic market) ... hence that's why im saying they are pre-made ... also, NG has post on their IG that the "standard" one will be coming around Sep.
as much as i would like to see this a parallel portfolio, it's hard to justify from business point that NG is starting over from scratch a new 747CL mould.
anyway, I've pre-ordered one to see how it holds up. also keep an eye on the following NG Lite releases.

Interesting. I'm interested in seeing if NG remakes this model on its revised 747 Classic mould and brands it as a proper NG model instead of the NG Lite.

I welcome this NG sub-brand in all honesty. If the tradeoff is cheaper models in exchange for no aerials, I feel that's a tradeoff most would be willing to accept, given the rising costs of this hobby. However I wish NG had given more detail as to what NG Lite is. I have quite a few questions such as:
  • What exactly will be releasing under the NG Lite brand?
  • How much cheaper will other models in the range be?
  • If aerials are omitted(in all honesty this isn't the end of the world), will satcom domes be omitted off of relevant subjects as well?
Honestly this is all quite interesting to see and I am curious to see how this turns out.

Considering I’m one to not care about minute details and everything being close to perfection, this brand would work for me. I’ll be buying this once it arrives at US retailers considering this will likely go for ~$40, instead of close to $60. That’s a huge savings right there in a hobby where prices are going up everywhere.

On the flip side, this does make me concerned about what NG’s primary focus is. Is it really on fixing what’s wrong internally within the company or about trying to innovate in other areas to try and hide those internal problems?

it's hard to justify from business point that NG is starting over from scratch a new 747CL mould.
Absolutely of course.
But that's what this mould would need to display nicely between their other stuff. It's not just wingtips and nose. Those engines and pylons are also far from known NG standards. Hope dies last.

What I really don't get from a production/costing point of view: how could a product retail for much less if you only omit antennas? They sure don't contribute 30% or so to total production costs. If they'd change their distribution/retailing channels for this, then ok.

Pretty sure they already had a batch of these 747s with livery before recieving the criticism, so now they need to sell it somehow.

What I really don't get from a production/costing point of view: how could a product retail for much less if you only omit antennas? They sure don't contribute 30% or so to total production costs. If they'd change their distribution/retailing channels for this, then ok.
I believe NG had estimated a large amount of these would be sold, similar to how N863GT sold. Thus I believe that NG mass produced this. Mass production combined with a simplified production process must have made it feasible for NG to sell at such a price.

Last edited:
simple answer: the original price is way too profitable. :unsure: (my speculation) plus their willingness to give up the margin to gain more market share in the Lite price segment.
few facts: 1. NG preorder is usually 20% off the retail price through major retailers (but you have to buy enough NG product from them in the past only then you can enjoy such discount)
2. while others dont have the same level of mould accuracy nor details as NG might have, from production the difference is not that big (they still have roughly the same process to make the diecast model), still, other competitors such as JC and AV is currently offering at the NG Lite price range, meaning the cost can be kept low (especially their factories are all in Guangdong province)
3. YY wings as a new comer makes a new 747-8 this year and priced it at around 30USD with decent quality, showing that they can be cheap and good.
so I believe it's not the cost but rather a business choice for the current NG price (new mould tooling, QC, packaging, CRP program, profit for retailers etc)

simple answer: the original price is way too profitable. :unsure: (my speculation) plus their willingness to give up the margin to gain more market share in the Lite price segment.
few facts: 1. NG preorder is usually 20% off the retail price through major retailers (but you have to buy enough NG product from them in the past only then you can enjoy such discount)
2. while others dont have the same level of mould accuracy nor details as NG might have, from production the difference is not that big (they still have roughly the same process to make the diecast model), still, other competitors such as JC and AV is currently offering at the NG Lite price range, meaning the cost can be kept low (especially their factories are all in Guangdong province)
3. YY wings as a new comer makes a new 747-8 this year and priced it at around 30USD with decent quality, showing that they can be cheap and good.
so I believe it's not the cost but rather a business choice for the current NG price (new mould tooling, QC, packaging, CRP program, profit for retailers etc)

Sure, but YY aren't distributed through classic chanels as far as I'm aware. That's where the huge price drop should come from.
When I produce at 10€/unit (total costs production), the product leaves the house at 25€ (overhead/margin) the following distribution at 50€ and then sits on retailers stock priced at 100-120€ for the end customer.
Isn't YY just omitting the distribution/retail inbetween - much like "Temu" etc. do - to keep prices down? I'd guess (and really just that) that omitted antennas gets me down to mybe 9.6€/unit and then the no added gimmicks to maybe 18-20€ to leave the house. 50€ for the end customer might be doable then.
But these NG's seem to go through normal channels.

Interesting theory. But you could also see this as a marketing test shot for the mould. If there are enough who consider this "good enough" there wont be any major retooling for future releases maybe.
Or - and this would be my hope - really have this parallel in the portfolio and start over from scratch with a 747Classic mould. One that is worthy to carry their nane.
They did say on Instagram that a new and improved mould will be arriving in and around September... Fingers crossed!

Pretty sure they already had a batch of these 747s with livery before recieving the criticism, so now they need to sell it somehow.

If I had to guess I'd agree with you here Mark. NG have been getting worse at sending me samples at a stage where issues can be caught. The 747 wing was a major cockup and I suspect these models will all have an incorrect wing on them too.

Is it really on fixing what’s wrong internally within the company or about trying to innovate in other areas to try and hide those internal problems?

This sort of comment makes me smile a little JJ. You make it sound like there are major issues with NG and everyone else is doing fine and has no problems. While undoubtedly NG have made a few mistakes, and decisions I wouldn't have, if you consider they have 'internal problems' then god only knows what you think of the demonstrable and quantifiably 'much larger problems' being experienced by all the other brands.

I believe NG had estimated a large amount of these would be sold, similar to how N163GT sold. Thus I believe that NG mass produced this. Mass production combined with a simplified production process must have made it feasible for NG to sell at such a price.

Antennas cost about 6 cents per aerial for JC afaik. I think this is just a case of NG trying to make money off of models that are subpar and they have accepted they are taking the hit here rather than having to bin them.

I don't like it but it is a more honest approach than that taken by competitors who when they get a model with a major problem get a 100% refund from their production partner and then continue to sell the models anyway at full retail as if nothing has happened and make a 100% profit off of awful models.

Are they going to re-release the N7470 after the mould adjustments (expected for September)??? Or this will be an exclusive NG Lite release, using the inferior mould version?

1718094505087.png

hmmm. notice the word "some products", hinting more products than N7470? even Pan Am, Braniff, AA etc. ? :unsure:
and since now they are fixing the mould, so it means future NG LITE 747 will be better but still with no aerials and rotating gears, then it can be really competitive.

View attachment 30329

hmmm. notice the word "some products", hinting more products than N7470? even Pan Am, Braniff, AA etc. ? :unsure:
and since now they are fixing the mould, so it means future NG LITE 747 will be better but still with no aerials and rotating gears, then it can be really competitive.

This 747 has rolling gear. They are saying future moulds that may be part of this may not.

I would expect that any products they had made prior to me pointing out the wing issue are likely to get NG Lite releases but it does also seem like a genuine attempt to produce an entry level line as well.