NG Models July 2023 Hints

Unless I'm missing something, the Air India L-1011-500 V2-LEJ (35018) is identical to the 1st V2-LEJ released in 2020 (35008). The other registration, V2-LEK (35019) was also released in 2022. Too many were made evidently!
Indeed, this, aeromexico 737, Cubana cargo and the Bonza are completely unnecessary. What a boring set. Still no 74L's whatsoever.
Plenty of other Aussie 737's that could've been done instead (Virgin Blue 737-800/700 no winglets). I fall asleep reading about NG's releases now.

This is an incredibly disappointing release set, especially due to all these re-releases. Many any of them were just made fairly recently (some even last month! like the Starlux A350). I wouldn't mind re-releases all that much if they last made them at least a few years ago (like the United Saul Bass 757, Singapore A350, Hawaiian A330-200, etc.). These past few sets have been lackluster, especially compared to some of the fantastic sets we had last year. There's so many great potential releases they could make that would sell like hot cakes, but instead we keep getting recent re-releases, special liveries, incredibly slight livery variations, and a lot of the same airlines - in addition to certain molds being poorly utilized (such as the A319, A320, 747SP, and 757). I really hope we get some more excitement with the August releases. They're desperately needed.

They also shouldn't have posted the future releases since they definitely made this set more predictable. I'd much rather be surprised. At least we're through the vast majority of them now. I also wonder where the 747-800s are. Hopefully they're revising the mold, but that's not guaranteed.

NG has definitely been off this year.

The Ar India L-1011 isn't something you'd think would sell as fast as it does, why is it so popular? Good mould plus subject matter?
I think that’s it really, however NG has obviously overestimated the demand for these. The previous releases are still available to pick up. Ironic that now so many are floating around as only a few years back you could hardly find the previous Herpa version anywhere!

The distinctive ‘Palace in the Sky’ livery on the Dash 500 airframe does look attractive. I even picked up V2-LEJ the first time around, though it’s out of criteria, and the white wings and stabilizers adds to the visual impact and clean look.

Shame that this month’s -500 couldn’t have been an original subject though - such as a nice BWIA example in delivery c/s.

Just had a look, the VR- L-1011 is indeed the other CX TriStar, #31027 VR-HHY in circa 1985 c/s, minus ‘Super TriStar’ titles but with the Union Jack still on the tail, with Swire Flag emblem ahead of ‘Cathay Pacific’ titles. So, this is a livery combination not yet done in 1:400.

EDIT: Four problems with the artwork at present:

1) The engine configuration needs to be updated to the modified short exhausts for this livery/era; it is shown with the original early types

2) The black radome dot needs to go

3) They need to remove the US flag from the rear fuselage;

4) ...and the #2 pylon/fairing should be bare metal, not white

…looks like they fixed it already!

Attachments

• IMG_3960.jpeg
    IMG_3960.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 25
This is an incredibly disappointing release set, especially due to all these re-releases. Many any of them were just made fairly recently (some even last month! like the Starlux A350). I wouldn't mind re-releases all that much if they last made them at least a few years ago (like the United Saul Bass 757, Singapore A350, Hawaiian A330-200, etc.). These past few sets have been lackluster, especially compared to some of the fantastic sets we had last year. There's so many great potential releases they could make that would sell like hot cakes, but instead we keep getting recent re-releases, special liveries, incredibly slight livery variations, and a lot of the same airlines - in addition to certain molds being poorly utilized (such as the A319, A320, 747SP, and 757). I really hope we get some more excitement with the August releases. They're desperately needed.

They also shouldn't have posted the future releases since they definitely made this set more predictable. I'd much rather be surprised. At least we're through the vast majority of them now. I also wonder where the 747-800s are. Hopefully they're revising the mold, but that's not guaranteed.

NG has definitely been off this year.
NG is quite an enigma, they release a slew of Garuda 777s and Qatar 777/787s in a row, yet can't be bothered to re-release the SQ 787 from 3 years ago. It's not like the former are selling well at all.

Regarding the 748, I'd like to hope it's because they're addressing all the mould's deficiencies. Maybe re-shaping the forehead, in addition to fixing the other 3 issues, is taking time. Who knows at this point.

NG is quite an enigma, they release a slew of Garuda 777s and Qatar 777/787s in a row, yet can't be bothered to re-release the SQ 787 from 3 years ago. It's not like the former are selling well at all.

Regarding the 748, I'd like to hope it's because they're addressing all the mould's deficiencies. Maybe re-shaping the forehead, in addition to fixing the other 3 issues, is taking time. Who knows at this point.
Yup...like how they decide to rerelease the Thai 787 that was literally just released, when they could have rereleased the Thai a330 instead, which is virtually impossible to find anywhere, even on eBay.

The engines are still long aren’t they?
They missed the #2! This happened last time as well but the actual model ended up being ok. In fact, they’ve just quickly used the artwork template from the previous VR-HHK and revised the livery details on that - it has the mis-matched short/long exhausts and this made it to the box art unchanged:

9EE0C48E-A5C0-43DC-84B3-FD85419D6EF0.jpeg

Last edited:
They missed the #2! This happened last time as well but the actual model ended up being ok. In fact, they’ve just quickly used the artwork template from the previous VR-HHK and revised the livery details on that - it has the mis-matched short/long exhausts and this made it to the box art unchanged:

View attachment 19918
…looks like they fixed it already!
The Cathay L1011 without the SuperTristar titles looks boring to me, it’s a pity NG has decided to go with this version. I was waiting for this release precisely to get the model with the short engine exhaust and now I think I’ll pass. I hope they make a third version in the future 😶

The Cathay L1011 without the SuperTristar titles looks boring to me, it’s a pity NG has decided to go with this version. I was waiting for this release precisely to get the model with the short engine exhaust and now I think I’ll pass. I hope they make a third version in the future 😶
I agree there - I love the ‘SuperTriStar’ titles as well and it somehow looks naked without them! The version you’re talking about is still very much on my wishlist 🙏 The saving grace with this one is that it still has the Union Jack on the tail, a combination not yet done on a decent mould so I will add this one because of that.

There are 2 possible options for the ‘SuperTriStar’ CX livery in the early-mid 1980s.

The early gold arrow Swire emblem ahead of the CX titles, circa 1980-1983:
BE222F31-D16B-4F9C-9556-8F6FC15D8AA9.jpeg
The later Swire flag emblem ahead of the CX titles, circa 1983-1985:
0A1EE21D-59EF-40A0-9CE0-48449F7F1DAF.jpeg
Both would be great to see made by NG.

Last edited:
I agree there - I love the ‘SuperTriStar’ titles as well and it somehow looks naked without them! The version you’re talking about is still very much on my wishlist 🙏 The saving grace with this one is that it still has the Union Jack on the tail, a combination not yet done on a decent mould so I will add this one because of that.

There are 2 possible options for the ‘SuperTriStar’ CX livery in the early-mid 1980s.

The early gold arrow Swire emblem ahead of the CX titles, circa 1980-1983:
View attachment 19921
The later Swire flag emblem ahead of the CX titles, circa 1983-1985:
View attachment 19922
The top one has never been done, the bottom one has but not 100% accurately and on a poor tooling. Both would be great to see made by NG.
I agree. The ‘SuperTriStar’ titles are iconic and it looks naked without them. I got my copy of NG’s first CX Tristar today and it’s already one of my favourites. I’ll probably get the latest release too. However, if either of the above variants were made they would be instant-buys.

I agree. The ‘SuperTriStar’ titles are iconic and it looks naked without them. I got my copy of NG’s first CX Tristar today and it’s already one of my favourites. I’ll probably get the latest release too. However, if either of the above variants were made they would be instant-buys.
It's a gorgeous model - enjoy it 🙌

I also just went through the DiMA database to double check and it appears that both the variants I posted above have in fact been made, the Swire flag + SuperTriStar + Union Jack version by Dragon Wings & Gemini (ages ago), and more recently by Aeroclassics.

The gold arrow version is rarer and I was very surprised to discover Blue Box had actually made one, but with the ex-Eastern N314EA registration.

Needless to say, both would benefit from releases on the NG tooling 🙏

So frustrating. I've been waiting for a normal livery 789 of Etihad, and yet they'd rather release this.

I get some specials a great to collect, but some of the specials they've been releasing recently are just pointless imo.
They certainly prioritize releasing specials over normal liveries. Specials are nice and all but the standards are MUCH better at representing an airlines' overall fleet. Just take Southwest for example:
  • NG has released the Desert Gold, Canyon Blue, and Imua One Southwest 737 Max 8s, but not a single one in the regular Heart livery (which represents 188 out of their 191 Max 8s).
  • NG has released countless State livery Southwest 737-700s (plus three(!) Canyon Blues), but not a single one in the regular Heart livery. By my count, there's 371 of those flying.....it's getting to the point where I wonder if there's some type of rights or licensing issue specifically with that aircraft (737-700) and livery combination.
Additionally, there's been four heritage livery Avianca A320s released, but none in their normal livery.