NG Models July 2023 Hints

Yep, me too! ;) Yeah that would be nice, and also to eventually even see the release pictures, it should fabulous on this tooling. I was so excited when Saudia got announced, it's such an important classic carrier for the TriStar. They've chosen a later 1978 delivery, HZ-AHI, MSN 1160 - however I've just picked up on something: the artwork shows this with a 'Frisbee' Fairing which is actually incorrect going by reference photos, in this link here on Flickr we see an early photo of HZ-AHI taken in 1982:

Saudia L-1011 HZ-AHI

and then here, much later on in 1993:
View attachment 19819

This machine is indeed a -200 but it does not have the 'Frisbee' Fairing on the #2 intake, and was never modified with one, so NG had better take note here!
I'm hoping that NG has taken note of that, I also didn't realize that the artwork had a frisbee fairing. One of the things I'm also a bit worried about is the green cheatline color, as it seems to vary a bit with different lighting. I held off the Aeroclassics Saudia L-1011 release back in 2020 so I hope NG makes the wait worth it.

I'm hoping that NG has taken note of that, I also didn't realize that the artwork had a frisbee fairing. One of the things I'm also a bit worried about is the green cheatline color, as it seems to vary a bit with different lighting. I held off the Aeroclassics Saudia L-1011 release back in 2020 so I hope NG makes the wait worth it.
I have forwarded the info posted above directly to NG, hopefully they’ll look at it, if it isn’t too late already.

The worrying thing is the line # already allocated for this model, which is in the 32xxx range: 32 correlates directly to the -200 series tooling, with the fairing; 31xxx is the -1 series tooling and 35xxx is the -500. So for production on the -1 tooling, which would be correct in this instance, the line # would need to shift to a #31xxx production slot. Being a -200 minus the fairing has really caught them out.

Yes - that green is tricky and photos would not help much at all as usual, due to all the variations in light conditions etc. It appears to be a deep emerald green, but you wouldn’t want it too light or too dark, somewhere in between, not an easy one to match exactly without a Pantone reference.

I have the previous Aviation400 version from 2008 (HZ-AHA, the first 1975 delivery), I don’t think the green was 100% correct on that one either, with a bit too much blue in the colour tone.

Hopefully they’ll get it closer this time around! 🙏

Last edited:
I have forwarded the info posted above directly to NG, hopefully they’ll look at it, if it isn’t too late already.

The worrying thing is the line # already allocated for this model, which is in the 32xxx range: 32 correlates directly to the -200 series tooling, with the fairing; 31xxx is the -1 series tooling and 35xxx is the -500. So for production on the -1 tooling, which would be correct in this instance, the line # would need to shift to a #31xxx production slot. Being a -200 minus the fairing has really caught them out.

Yes - that green is tricky and photos would not help much at all as usual, due to all the variations in light conditions etc. It appears to be a deep emerald green, but you wouldn’t want it too light or too dark, somewhere in between, not an easy one to match exactly without a Pantone reference.

I have the previous Aviation400 version from 2008 (HZ-AHA, the first 1975 delivery), I don’t think the green was 100% correct on that one either, with a bit too much blue in the colour tone.

Hopefully they’ll get it closer this time around! 🙏
Well the artwork on the website right now has it right, with no frisbee fairing thankfully so it seems they've realized that as well.
1689299451737.png
Apart from that, I guess their best bet for the colors would be to look at the various retro aircraft that Saudia has started to paint in this green livery, as those should be accurate. I have faith in NG to be able to get it done.

Well the artwork on the website right now has it right, with no frisbee fairing thankfully so it seems they've realized that as well.
View attachment 19826
Apart from that, I guess their best bet for the colors would be to look at the various retro aircraft that Saudia has started to paint in this green livery, as those should be accurate. I have faith in NG to be able to get it done.
Excellent, I noticed this morning the DM I sent them on Instagram had been viewed so I’m glad they’ve taken notice 🙏 The line # remains in the -200 series but fingers crossed the series -1 tooling will now be used in this instance, which would be a break in the pattern 🤞

Referring to the retro aircraft for the colour reference is a good shout 👍

As expected, many unoriginal models and liveries we've seen already in recent releases. Only the "fantasy" L1011 for me.

The artworks are out on the NG website
Just had a look, the VR- L-1011 is indeed the other CX TriStar, #31027 VR-HHY in circa 1985 c/s, minus ‘Super TriStar’ titles but with the Union Jack still on the tail, with Swire Flag emblem ahead of ‘Cathay Pacific’ titles. So, this is a livery combination not yet done in 1:400.

EDIT: Four problems with the artwork at present:

1) The engine configuration needs to be updated to the modified short exhausts for this livery/era; it is shown with the original early types

2) The black radome dot needs to go

3) They need to remove the US flag from the rear fuselage;

4) ...and the #2 pylon/fairing should be bare metal, not white

207603FD-AF10-4D82-9132-FB834BCD3303.pngD7CD1CA8-09DF-4957-8F0E-8C4FF502B38D.jpegAABEF270-FD8D-4353-8E6A-FEB376071868.jpeg1C07D950-4FBD-48D2-985F-73673701FEBB.jpeg
25FE0F8E-E55F-40A4-AE6F-C305E0AE2147.jpeg
207603FD-AF10-4D82-9132-FB834BCD3303.png
25FE0F8E-E55F-40A4-AE6F-C305E0AE2147.jpeg

Attachments

• 207603FD-AF10-4D82-9132-FB834BCD3303.png
    513.7 KB · Views: 8
  • D7CD1CA8-09DF-4957-8F0E-8C4FF502B38D.jpeg
    D7CD1CA8-09DF-4957-8F0E-8C4FF502B38D.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 207603FD-AF10-4D82-9132-FB834BCD3303.png
    514 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
As expected, many unoriginal models and liveries we've seen already in recent releases. Only the "fantasy" L1011 for me.
I don't like the set much myself but at least 10-12 of these models haven't been made by anyone anywhere before as far as I can tell - it just they were announced as future releases already. I don't like the whole 'future release' thing and I am in agreement this is another disappointing set of models, without a shadow of a doubt, but 10 unique models is as many as any other brand releases a month so can we really complain that much?

They aren't the models I want but they aren't necessarily unoriginal either. Then again there are plenty of re-releases here too, which is a shame, but I think we've been spoiled somewhat too. At least almost all the future releases are now done. Hopefully they won't repeat that nonsense.

I guess what I'm saying is perspective matters although I 100% understand your frustration with this set.

Just had a look, the VR- L-1011 is indeed the other CX TriStar, #31027 VR-HHY in circa 1985 c/s, minus ‘Super TriStar’ titles but with the Union Jack still on the tail, with Swire Flag emblem ahead of ‘Cathay Pacific’ titles. So, this is a livery combination not yet done in 1:400.

Three problems with the artwork at present:

1) The engine configuration needs to be updated to the modified short exhausts for this livery/era; it is shown with the original early types

2) The black radome dot needs to go;

3) …and they need to remove the US flag from the rear fuselage!

View attachment 19839View attachment 19842View attachment 19843View attachment 19844

View attachment 19845
...and the white color from the #2 pylon/fairing.

I don't like the set much myself but at least 10-12 of these models haven't been made by anyone anywhere before as far as I can tell - it just they were announced as future releases already. I don't like the whole 'future release' thing and I am in agreement this is another disappointing set of models, without a shadow of a doubt, but 10 unique models is as many as any other brand releases a month so can we really complain that much?

They aren't the models I want but they aren't necessarily unoriginal either. Then again there are plenty of re-releases here too, which is a shame, but I think we've been spoiled somewhat too. At least almost all the future releases are now done. Hopefully they won't repeat that nonsense.

I guess what I'm saying is perspective matters although I 100% understand your frustration with this set.
To be honest I don't check DIMA to see what combi of aircraft+livery has been done before, but for me it feels like we have seen all of this before already in the past months (probably just the liveries). As far as I know, NG isn't stuck like JC is with GJ, so I expect a lot more variety.

To be honest I don't check DIMA to see what combi of aircraft+livery has been done before, but for me it feels like we have seen all of this before already in the past months (probably just the liveries). As far as I know, NG isn't stuck like JC is with GJ, so I expect a lot more variety.
Sadly I guess sales talk. I haven't been through it all yet either but most of the 737s, the Tajik 787, all 3 Tristars and a couple of the A320/21s are new. I would like to see a lot more variety myself and I get the feeling you and I are on the same page with what we'd want.

NG seem to be chasing sales and volume rather than acting as the hobby brand we'd prefer.

Three problems with the artwork at present:

2) The black radome dot needs to go;

3) …and they need to remove the US flag from the rear fuselage!

View attachment 19839View attachment 19842View attachment 19843View attachment 19844

View attachment 19845
Ouch. I guess the Alaska MTL wasn't the only one that faced detailing issues.

The door has been fixed according to the drawing that was uploaded on their socials. There are some more minor issues still awaiting attention though.

Unless I'm missing something, the Air India L-1011-500 V2-LEJ (35018) is identical to the 1st V2-LEJ released in 2020 (35008). The other registration, V2-LEK (35019) was also released in 2022. Too many were made evidently!