Gemini Jets December Release predictions

I never really cared about Southwest but you all confuse me here.

I don't see any Desert Gold (metallic!) on the GJ model, neither in 200 nor 400 scale.
All the other Southwest 727s appear to have worn the original Desert Gold, just not this airframe. Whether this is standard "mustard" or something more greenish I don't know. Some pics do suggest this while others don't.

If the latest MAX N871HK is considered "Desert Gold", what are the PE leased 727s called then? Are they a different "gold" - like pics suggest - but what exactly is 871HK resembling then? Mustard which certainly was a non-metallic color?
Total confusion...🤔

Desert Gold was the standard scheme name Southwest used - it doesn't relate only to the retro metallic schemes (https://www.norebbo.com/southwest-airlines-livery/). Mustard rockets is a nickname not what the scheme was called. However the shade of desert gold used over the years did change - see: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1433593 and https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203841 although some of the chat in these is bogus

It is a little confused how the colours changed (in WN's early years they used what they could find it seems) but the scheme was always known as Desert Gold even when the earlier 737s looked greener. The current retro versions are quite different to the paint scheme used for most of the Desert Gold period but see below for the later 727s..

In relation to this specific 727-200 N406BN, leased to WN by Braniff as part of the lawsuite settlement, it was painted by Braniff and they used what paint they had available. They didn't have the correct paint and so it came out quite a different colour to the standard desert gold used at the time. It was a lot more green. It certainly shouldn't be brown or match the 737s.

The 727s used in the 80s looked 100% different to this frame from the 70s and did look golden rather than the babyshit brownish colour WN used most of the time.

Last edited:
Based on the pictures I don't see a noticeable difference. It either has the correct color or it's very close.
It doesn't to me. One is light brown and one is greeny brown. Here is the GJ200 version and another shot of the real thing:

gj200.JPG
59a506bdca2755cd655d38633c853e0af90e6819.jpg

This is where having licenses means absolutely nothing if you don't do your research (or if the airline themselves doesn't know its own history). If you can line this 727 up against any other Southwest 737 and if it looks the same then the colour is incorrect.

It'll be interesting to see whether it matches the Gemini 737s. These are the standard colours used throughout the 80s and 90s for the majority of frames. No Gold involved but still called 'Desert Gold'. This 727 should not match these:

wngoldcolours.JPG

Last edited:
Mustard Rocket guys. Desert Gold is the sparkly color used on the retro liveries that honor the Mustard Rocket.
That is not correct. The original livery was called Desert Gold - although it never featured real gold aside from the PEX leased 727s.

That is not correct. The original livery was called Desert Gold - although it never featured real gold aside from the PEX leased 727s.

Interesting point of view you have there Good Sir.

As far as I can tell there is no official name for that livery, It was simply "the Southwest livery" until the Blue Canyon (or Canyon Blue, I never remember the proper order) showed up. Then, I recall the original livery started to predominantly be referred to as "Mustard Rocket" in avgeek circles. The "Desert Gold" nickname didn't gain prominence until the retro birds started to show up with a very distinctive gold that was different from the ochre/mustard/brown tones that characterized the variations of the original livery. You are right, the only true gold birds before the retro jets were the People Express 722s.

Why are you citing Airliners.net threads and some dude's website? 🤣 Those sources are as credible as you and I.

The closest thing I found to an official source was this statement: "... often called the “Desert Gold” or “Mustard Rocket” livery." It is also from a blog article, but at least it is endorsed by the airline.

It just doesn't sound correct to call the original pre-Canyon Bluebirds as Desert Gold. But I reckon that is a perception issue unique to me.

Interesting point of view you have there Good Sir.

As far as I can tell there is no official name for that livery, It was simply "the Southwest livery" until the Blue Canyon (or Canyon Blue, I never remember the proper order) showed up. Then, I recall the original livery started to predominantly be referred to as "Mustard Rocket" in avgeek circles. The "Desert Gold" nickname didn't gain prominence until the retro birds started to show up with a very distinctive gold that was different from the ochre/mustard/brown tones that characterized the variations of the original livery. You are right, the only true gold birds before the retro jets were the People Express 722s.

Why are you citing Airliners.net threads and some dude's website? 🤣 Those sources are as credible as you and I.

The closest thing I found to an official source was this statement: "... often called the “Desert Gold” or “Mustard Rocket” livery." It is also from a blog article, but at least it is endorsed by the airline.

It just doesn't sound correct to call the original pre-Canyon Bluebirds as Desert Gold. But I reckon that is a perception issue unique to me.
Literally every source says it is Desert Gold and it has always been stated as such in every material I have ever read. You are the only one saying it isn't. Face it Jorge you're wrong on this one! You and your unique perception issues!!

It doesn't to me. One is light brown and one is greeny brown. Here is the GJ200 version and another shot of the real thing:

View attachment 26138
View attachment 26139

This is where having licenses means absolutely nothing if you don't do your research (or if the airline themselves doesn't know its own history). If you can line this 727 up against any other Southwest 737 and if it looks the same then the colour is incorrect.

It'll be interesting to see whether it matches the Gemini 737s. These are the standard colours used throughout the 80s and 90s for the majority of frames. No Gold involved but still called 'Desert Gold'. This 727 should not match these:

View attachment 26136

Do you really think anyone at Southwest today will have much info about the pan-tone of that oddball in the fleet 40-something years ago? Unless SW's maintenance department ever had to match the color of a part for N406BN no one might have ever needed to know what the official color was.

As far as the benefits of licensing, I agree, there are tons of examples of how unlicensed can be better products sometimes. Also, the whole licensing issue can sometimes get in our way, as there are overjealous PR/marketing departments that will protect the brand at all costs, even if it means that collectors can't have models of their aircraft.

But there is something left out. Some collectors might find it comforting to know that the airline backs up the model they are getting. It is just shady when a model randomly emerges from China when you know the channels to produce the same model with proper consent from the airline exist.

I do think any collector comforted to know the airline backs up the model is fooling themselves somewhat. I have seen little evidence that licensing does anything except load costs onto the collector (TAP are especially bad here). Certainly the benefits of it are overplayed as is shown in this case. The airline's are just companies - no more likely to care about a model being accurate than a person on the street and no more likely to be effective even if they do than any other company.

Licensing for models that advertise their airline and give them benefit is just ticket-clipping nonsense in my opinion. If every model needed to be licensed you could kiss goodbye to about 80% of the entire output of the scale. Even if other brands attempted to get licensing Gemini would do their best to make sure they didn't, as history has shown.

View attachment 26138
View attachment 26139

View attachment 26136
The GJ one just need to be darker, a little more shiny and it would be perfect imo.

This livery is a special unique livery painted on one registration.

There was another (or other idk) SW 727 painted in the Desert Gold livery, which was gold with a white title but not green with a black, red and orange title.

The GJ one just need to be darker, a little more shiny and it would be perfect imo.

This livery is a special unique livery painted on one registration.

There was another (or other idk) SW 727 painted in the Desert Gold livery, which was gold with a white title but not green with a black, red and orange title.
Those would’ve been the PEOPLExpress-leased airframes.

Norebbo is a great resource for airline livery design histories. Chap's a pro designer himself. He knows his stuff, and also makes citations where necessary. I don't see any reason to doubt that resource,

Branding is an extensive exercise - and leads to a legally binding and executable document - and it includes everything - colour, shape, fonts, geometry, manner of usage, exceptions, language, etc etc etc. It's a document that every company protects fiercely. The fact that these GJ models aren't licensed is pretty much obvious (and not only from the Pantone/RAL shade). And if they are, then well, probably they don't have access to all the protected info

Last edited: