Zinc Rot, What is it?

It seems like my newest (well, a secondhand 2006 release from Waffle) acquisition might be a victim of zinc rot. It is the Delta Spirit 762 in the 75th Anniversary livery, and there is some noticeable damage in the port stabilizer. By far I have not had any cases of zinc rot in any of my own models, so I can't fully tell whether this is a sign of zinc rot or not... Any thoughts?
Aaah. To me that looks like rot, but considering I am the one that started the thread quite literally asking what it is, I am not an expert!

It is sad, and frankly, pretty disappointing. Maybe try contacting Waffle, I doubt it but you might be able to get a refund.

I purchased it as part of a collection sale so I'm not very optimistic in getting a refund unfortunately. Rest of the model is okay and it's still a rare gem so I'd probably hold onto it and fingers crossed it won't deteriorate too quickly.

I purchased it as part of a collection sale so I'm not very optimistic in getting a refund unfortunately. Rest of the model is okay and it's still a rare gem so I'd probably hold onto it and fingers crossed it won't deteriorate too quickly.

It's a very old model so I'd say the zinc rot has stabilized and won't get any worse.

That is very disappointing. Hopefully there's a way to get a horizontal stabilizer from a donor model and replace it.

It seems like my newest (well, a secondhand 2006 release from Waffle) acquisition might be a victim of zinc rot. It is the Delta Spirit 762 in the 75th Anniversary livery, and there is some noticeable damage in the port stabilizer. By far I have not had any cases of zinc rot in any of my own models, so I can't fully tell whether this is a sign of zinc rot or not... Any thoughts?
Dang... at least it's in a hard-to-see spot.

The only thing that irritates me is that bits have metal have already fallen out from one of the edges of the stabilizer upon arrival. Other than that, cracks themselves aren't really visible thankfully.

The only thing that irritates me is that bits have metal have already fallen out from one of the edges of the stabilizer upon arrival. Other than that, cracks themselves aren't really visible thankfully.
That's a relief. Hopefully the Zinc rot doesn't advance any further.

So far, so good on this. No further damage so far. I'll keep a eye on it.
That reminds me of 601; I did check it for fun over the weekend whilst I was home and found no further damage. It may very well be zinc rot, but it could likely have plateaued in terms of damaging the model any further.

That reminds me of 601; I did check it for fun over the weekend whilst I was home and found no further damage. It may very well be zinc rot, but it could likely have plateaued in terms of damaging the model any further.
I was wondering about that one. Maybe both of ours have stabilized a bit.