Zinc Rot, What is it?

OscarBravo992

Hi All. I have heard the term 'Zinc Rot' being discussed before, mostly on other forums or FB pages. It has alarmed me, however, I am still not quite sure what it is or what causes it. If anyone has a quick guide or other information about zinc rot it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I’ve looked through it and it is as fascinating as it is worrying (to some degree). Thankfully none of the models I tend to collect are known to be rotters.

Very informative, and thank you so much Richard for your work on this topic. I've been very lucky so far, I have 2 models that have been
reported with "the rot". So far, neither one of mine are showing any signs of it.

I got a few models not possible to display. A few show sing of zinc but just a small part (tail, main gears etc). Got a Northwest B720 and two GJ B737 China Southern that have cracked into pieces.

Steinar

Thank you all a lot. That has cleared up exactly what it is. I do not have any examples of the known rotters but will keep an eye out. Once again, thanks a ton.

I was checking my Gemini Jets 1:400 American Boeing 757-200 N601AA GJAAL327 (Aug 2008) and noticed some paint cracking. I know the second release had some issues where some models succumbed to zinc rot but I'm not sure if this one's going to go or if this is a paint defect.

@YesterAirlines hopefully you can help out, would be appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC01102.JPG
    DSC01102.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC01103.JPG
    DSC01103.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC01104.JPG
    DSC01104.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
I was checking my Gemini Jets 1:400 American Boeing 757-200 N601AA GJAAL327 (Aug 2008) and noticed some paint cracking. I know the second release had some issues where some models succumbed to zinc rot but I'm not sure if this one's going to go or if this is a paint defect.

That looks like zinc rot

F

That’s a really shame for a beautiful model. Like @danwashere said, I also think it looks like zinc rot… :(

I'm certainly no expert, but that looks like zinc rot to me. I have this same model, guess I better check mine.

Seems unfortunate a lot are assessing this as zinc rot. I looked at older photos stored on my computer and found the cracks to be of similar condition, so as far as I can tell it hasn’t worsened since I picked it up in 2018 (photos I found were taken in 2020). Otherwise, the rest of the model appears to be fine which is the good news. However I’m prepared for anything else to start rotting away.

Seems unfortunate a lot are assessing this as zinc rot. I looked at older photos stored on my computer and found the cracks to be of similar condition, so as far as I can tell it hasn’t worsened since I picked it up in 2018 (photos I found were taken in 2020). Otherwise, the rest of the model appears to be fine which is the good news. However I’m prepared for anything else to start rotting away I would think if it hasn't gotten worse in 2 years, it might be OK. I'm certainly no expert though.
I would think that if it hasn't gotten any worse in over 2 years, it might be OK. I'm certainly no expert though, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Seems unfortunate a lot are assessing this as zinc rot. I looked at older photos stored on my computer and found the cracks to be of similar condition, so as far as I can tell it hasn’t worsened since I picked it up in 2018 (photos I found were taken in 2020). Otherwise, the rest of the model appears to be fine which is the good news. However I’m prepared for anything else to start rotting away.
I am no expert, but if nothing has changed over a few years, hopefully it has stabilised. Once again, I am not an expert.

To me this doesn't look like zinc rot, if it were zinc rot I would expect this to be visible on the whole model and not be limited to the grey painted areas.
My guess would be that it's a production issue related to the grey paint itself with, for example, the layer being thin enough that it can't take the forces that are applied when the model is moved even if it sits in its plastic cradle in its box.

To me this doesn't look like zinc rot, if it were zinc rot I would expect this to be visible on the whole model and not be limited to the grey painted areas.
My guess would be that it's a production issue related to the grey paint itself with, for example, the layer being thin enough that it can't take the forces that are applied when the model is moved even if it sits in its plastic cradle in its box.
I know there have been instances where a portion of a model would rot (for example, the engines or landing gear) while the rest of the model is unaffected. However I see where you're coming from.

I agree, the fuselage is one solid piece of metal so why would there be zinc rot in only the gray areas. Oddly enough, the cracks do look like zinc rot. What I have seen is cracks in paint in several models but that is not zinc rot, in fact I don't know what it's called.