Zinc Rot, What is it?

I'm just wondering, is that gray area the wing cradle? If so, that might explain it,since it's a seperate piece. Never mind....I just looked at the photos again, I see where the seam is.

Definitely is. Hard to watch any model crumble and nothing you can do about it.
That's what scares me about it. Because I am a relatively new collector, almost my whole collection would be affected if it turned out that the manufacturer's recent (~3 years) models had been affected. I know I shouldn't, but I think about it often and it is always lurking in the back of my mind.

From what I know only a small selection of models are affected by zinc rot (Aeroclassics, BigBird, and SMA from early 2000s, Phoenix Models from the mid-2000sm and a handful of early-2010s Gemini Jets). I don’t think these recent models would be affected by rotting as they would’ve figured out the cause and implemented fixes by now.

From what I know only a small selection of models are affected by zinc rot (Aeroclassics, BigBird, and SMA from early 2000s, Phoenix Models from the mid-2000sm and a handful of early-2010s Gemini Jets). I don’t think these recent models would be affected by rotting as they would’ve figured out the cause and implemented fixes by now.
Hopefully

My luck has run out. After 414 models, I have my first case of zinc rot. Gemini Jets N602AN released in 2012. It only seems to be affecting the wings so far, most noticeable on the upper surfaces:
601an rot l.jpg
602an rot r.jpg

Oh no... That is devastating... Hopefully, it will stabilise an not consume the model. Have you got a replacement available? I think NG has made a few.
Yes, I was able to pick up another Gemini, N601AN. I know that JJ Skippy has some issues with his, in the photos at the top of the thread. So far mine looks fine. I would think that since it's a 2008 release, it should be safe by now.

Yes, I was able to pick up another Gemini, N601AN. I know that JJ Skippy has some issues with his, in the photos at the top of the thread. So far mine looks fine. I would think that since it's a 2008 release, it should be safe by now.
That's a relief. Good to hear the rot won't leave a gap in your collection. :)

That's a relief. Good to hear the rot won't leave a gap in your collection. :)
Yep, it is a relief. Thankfully it's basically the same model, as it also has winglets. If N602AN continiues to deteriorate, I can probably just use it for spare parts....engines,landing gear, etc.

Last edited:
Just to add, if it helps - the level of severity depends on the level of contamination in the zinc alloy, and the % of this contamination contained within each of the cast batches. The higher the %, the worse the outcome, leading to complete failure of the material. This is further complicated by the various parts required for production being cast at different times, in tandem with the production cycle of the factory. So, some parts cast from contaminated metal were used with other parts cast at a different time from clean metal. Hence the random, mixed bag situation.

I've only had 1 model with this problem so far (touch wood), that being a 2002 Aeroclassics Air Tanzania B.707. The entire casting failed except for the engines (which were also diecast on this early mould). Those parts came from an earlier casting which was not affected, so were removed as spares.

Zinc pest has been known since 1923 and zamac alloys were developed in 1929 which use 99.99% pure zinc metal to avoid the problem. The only reason it would occur in this day and age is simply down to poor practices in the factories concerned - failure to maintain controlled conditions and the use of poor quality zinc. The Jinbo/Witty factory did just that - they knowingly used a batch of faulty metal in order not to waste it and lose money on the raw material. It came back to bite them in the end, as they lost a big client and subsequently liquidated not long after, but other factories continue to produce models with a history of using faulty metal in the past. We'll just have to hope they'll continue to do right by us going forward.

As I'm aware from monitoring all cases of zinc rot (from my own models and from others) it stabilizes after around 8 years and won't worsen at all.
I will check my AA 757 when i return to Sydney, fingers crossed.

It seems like my newest (well, a secondhand 2006 release from Waffle) acquisition might be a victim of zinc rot. It is the Delta Spirit 762 in the 75th Anniversary livery, and there is some noticeable damage in the port stabilizer. By far I have not had any cases of zinc rot in any of my own models, so I can't fully tell whether this is a sign of zinc rot or not... Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1668770340239.png
    1668770340239.png
    872.8 KB · Views: 16