NGModels 2024: "Let Classic be Classic" model suggestion campaign

Want to use the 747 properly - here an idea:
- Rerelease: every first 747 ever delivered to an airline i.e. the ones of the logos that were pictured on Line1
- Release operators/paints that were never done
- rerelease / overpriced ones to open the hobby for all
Re-release popular ones that were poorly executed by other makers

I’m not the biggest classic collector, but a Delta MD-80 with the widget colors would be very much appreciated.
With a choice of 2-3 tail numbers randomly chosen from the middle of the fleet. Also, the Ron Allen and Colors in Motion schemes with a choice of tail numbers. There were often 2 on the ground at IND at the same time (one each from ATL and CVG) and it would be nice to be able to replicate that.

So just now NG announced their first sets of the classics on their official WeChat channel.
apparently since it's the domestic account, all the advices taken will be heavily CN-oriented.
here is the full article.
1699461396750.png

What they mentioned in the post Zijin and Zichen, were actually a pair of Air China's 330-200 with liveries named "Capital Pavilion" and "Forbidden Pavilion" debuted in 2008 to promote their newly updated Business and First class cabin.
Previously these two were released by PH in 1/400 scale.

Here are the photos of the jets.
Air China B-6076 Zichen(Capital Pavilion)
1699462104612.png
Air China B-6075 Zijin (Forbidden Pavilion)
1699462163434.png

I think there might be a misunderstanding cuz "classics" in Chinese doesn't entail exactly the same thing as its translated version in English.

In the context of aviation, any retired aircraft that is missed, or has a long-lasting impact, or once was hot is all fair game. I think this is different from the western interpretation (e.g. 747-100, etc)

Given their first choice I would very much expect to see the following pair as well
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 9.23.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 9.23.37 AM.png

I think there might be a misunderstanding cuz "classics" in Chinese doesn't entail exactly the same thing as its translated version in English.

In the context of aviation, any retired aircraft that is missed, or has a long-lasting impact, or once was hot is all fair game. I think this is different from the western interpretation (e.g. 747-100, etc)

Given their first choice I would very much expect to see the following pair as well
View attachment 23900View attachment 23901
Exactly what I'm expecting as well! These two are one of my personal favorite 777 liveries!

What they mentioned in the post Zijin and Zichen, were actually a pair of Air China's 330-200 with liveries named "Capital Pavilion" and "Forbidden Pavilion" debuted in 2008 to promote their newly updated Business and First class cabin.
Previously these two were released by PH in 1/400 scale.
I'm happy they'll making these two - been on my wishlist for really long!
Question:
Will these 2 only be sold in the CN market? 😥

I'd love to see have these two 777s!

Last edited:

Thank you. This explains a lot. It's actually not just a Chinese thing. The term "classic" is indeed used for exactly this in the western hemisphere as well. We just don't use it for aircraft that way.

Those two A330s are not "classic" in a general (scale modelers) perception, not "classic" from a technical point of view as both are post-Mod48979 versions of the A330-200. So what remains really is that very different perception

These two "classics" translate into "just another modern special livery" in my book.
So can we expect a flood of special liveries of the past 10-15 years or will we also get some classic classics in 2024. There's hope at least with their upcoming 747-200 and to some extend their MD-80s.

I’m hoping in general we get a plethora of new moulds to compliment the “Year Of Classics”. Anything ranging from the 60s to 80s aircraft I think would push them even further to being one of or if not the best manufacturer out there. Some DC-8s, DC-10/MD-11, 727, 747-100, 737-200, 300, so many endless options. Given what they do with their moulds right now, and the existing moulds they could surpass those very quickly.

I’m hoping in general we get a plethora of new moulds to compliment the “Year Of Classics”. Anything ranging from the 60s to 80s aircraft I think would push them even further to being one of or if not the best manufacturer out there. Some DC-8s, DC-10/MD-11, 727, 747-100, 737-200, 300, so many endless options. Given what they do with their moulds right now, and the existing moulds they could surpass those very quickly.
Lets hope its that way!