NG Models April 2024 Hints

I think the problem is that NG keeps releasing:
1) the same livery with a different registration
2) a very minor change of their previous release
3) a special livery

Plus most of their moulds are the best on the market, meaning people wait for them to make it, instead of paying the same price for an inferior mould. For me this is the case with TU-154s, L-1011s, 747SPs and 747 classics.
Exactly this! Had NG done this “Year of the Classic” campaign in the past, I would’ve waited for NG to do a retro model other manufacturers have already produced, but nowadays I’m more the type to get a retro model from the manufacturer that makes it first. There’s no telling when exactly NG will do the same plane anymore, as it could either be next month or three plus years and counting.

For a while I found myself complaining about the excessive Chinese releases, but the thought occurred to me that

-Gemini Jets rarely releases Asian models, mainly USA, some European
-JC Wings rarely releases any North American models, mainly Asian and European carriers
-Panda Models releases a mix but only 3-4 models at a time
-AV400 seems to release a good mix, but mostly wide bodies and only a small number of models per release

Point is that each manufacturer either seems to cater to one or two regions while neglecting another, or, they cater inclusively but only release a small batch of models at a time. Gemini and JC are practically counterparts as they share identical moulds.

NG Models has been releasing huge batches recently, upwards to 30-50 models at a time. They're doing the job of all the other brands as one single company. Indeed they release what appears to be an excessive number of Chinese models, but they are a Chinese manufucturer afterall, and the market in China is presumably in high demand. We don't complain about the shortcomings of Gemini neglecting Asia or JC neglecting North America. That NG still releases sought after models from both Europe and the USA should be something to be grateful for. Of course, they do have some of the best moulds so it's understandable we want them to release particular models we want. I don't think, however, that their number of Chinese releases is necessarily 'excessive.'

Thank you THANK YOU! Some people in here really need to see this! One other thing is, nobody is forcing anyone to buy from NG. If you don’t wanna wait then be like JJ, get whatever comes out first. Just because the model that you want super bad doesn’t mean they have to tailor to you. And certainly you don’t have to wait forever.

NG's problem is not that they rarely release certain airlines. It's that they they don't at all, period. And unlike GJ, they're not hamstrung by licensing. If you have high standards and happen to collect stuff NG ignores, you can either wait endlessly, or go for a markedly inferior alternative. You always lose in the end.

This wouldn't be an issue if there was an "alternative" in terms of quality, and that's why I think NG should use sub-brands like Inflight200 does. Inflight itself only releases Western stuff, so the sub-brands use their moulds to do things from other regions. This way NG can keep pumping out their beloved US/Chinese/Qatar models, and folks who collect other stuff aren't shafted.

Last edited:
Will probably pick up one of the JetBlues and that's it... Hope to see more interesting releases next month... 🤷‍♂️

I thought this was a great release set already. Maybe lacked the diversity we saw back 2, 3 years (or compared to JC wings, Phoenix) but certainly catered many ppl well.

HYJLWings went bust btw, one less option for us...

I thought this was a great release set already. Maybe lacked the diversity we saw back 2, 3 years (or compared to JC wings, Phoenix) but certainly catered many ppl well.

HYJLWings went bust btw, one less option for us...
On the flip side, YY popped up and seems to be widely available now.

I really wanted that Azores Glider - but paying that kind of premium was a bit too much.
They did / do have their own original A321 mould - which they seemed to have continued using - as is evident in their last set of Canadian releases.

They'd made a great set of almost all livery options for Lufthansa, China Southern, China Eastern, amongst others on their A321s

I came late to the party, but did nonetheless manage to grab one of each
Loved the packaging in that wooden box - at no extra cost - that really felt 'premium'.

Presumably these extra perks for the collector cost them a lot?

HYJLwings had been around for a long time - they weren't the same as a lot of the smaller brands of which there are now a lot (C Models, Blue Wings etc etc). They hadn't been packaging in the wooden boxes for a long time. They'd reverted to standard NG style packaging. Their models seemed to mainly sellout quickly on Taobao. I missed out on a couple of their A321s because they effectively sold out on preorder.

I get the feeling that like with Buchannan this is partly related to getting production slots at NG facilities.

It is worth pointing out that they made 131 models between 2016 and 2024. I own 40 of them myself.

I think the problem is that NG keeps releasing:
1) the same livery with a different registration
2) a very minor change of their previous release
3) a special livery
Points 1, 2 and 3 are the same for all manufacturers - you just notice it more because NG releases more models and some brands release the models made at the same time with a greater timelag (sometimes years in the case of GJ and JC).

After all Aeroclassics literally just re-released a Volaris A319 which had a different reg and minor livery change this month.
Plus most of their moulds are the best on the market, meaning people wait for them to make it, instead of paying the same price for an inferior mould. For me this is the case with TU-154s, L-1011s, 747SPs and 747 classics.

I agree this is an issue for some. I tend to agree with JJ Skippy on this. Unless the mould is a complete stinker (PH 747s) or suffers from awful QC (some recent AC 747s) buy what is available not what you hope for.

They hadn't been packaging in the wooden boxes for a long time. They'd reverted to standard NG style packaging.
Ah okay. So the 3 examples I have (LH, CZ, MU) would be from their earlier releases, yes correct.

Their models seemed to mainly sellout quickly on Taobao. I missed out on a couple of their A321s because they effectively sold out on preorder.
That's good to hear - which means that they were indeed popular and catered to collector demands.

HYJL has been near-impossible to access for me - the 3 copies I have are from AvMgS - they stocked the brand only for a few years and not after 2018 or 19, I think. The models I bought were all released between 2016-19 thus. They stopped stocking HYJL citing that their subject matter was no longer 'relevant' - this when I reached out to them to check whether they'd be getting the Azores Glider.

MHH got just one batch from their recent lot - the set which had the Air Canada A330 & A321 - as did Threshold - and this coincided with HYJL setting up 'base' (or so it seemed) in Canada - participating in the local aviation fairs and adding a local contact address /office.

TaoBao is inaccessible to me - and a few times when I did access this (via VPN) - there were too many glitches and navigation was extremely labyrinthine. I gave up. I don't know if that has anything to do with Chinese sites being blocked here.

I get the feeling that like with Buchannan this is partly related to getting production slots at NG facilities.

It is worth pointing out that they made 131 models between 2016 and 2024. I own 40 of them myself.
That's a decent number for what can be seen as a 'boutique' brand - around 17 per year. I have indeed read (I do recall) a number of pieces you have written on HYJL and their release history - however never imagined so many had been released!!!

However, I'd wonder how NG would agree to releasing overlapping subject matter - like the Air China A350s or the Air Canada A330 for example. The Juneyao Blessed Land Program was also released by HYJL earlier if I remember one of your articles correctly - of course on their own mould I'd guess - that NG also borrowed prior to making their own - as you have written about.

Besides the point, but just noteworthy how NG's factory seems to be the epicentre of consistent high quality production now in 1:400 scale - they'd mentioned about expansion of their facilities - interesting to see that those are swamped as well. I'm curiouo where Panda manufactures theirs - with all the collaborations they make - and with their erratic output.

MHH got just one batch from their recent lot - the set which had the Air Canada A330 & A321 - as did Threshold - and this coincided with HYJL setting up 'base' (or so it seemed) in Canada - participating in the local aviation fairs and adding a local contact address /office.
The founder was a Chinese-Canadian student, which is why they released some Canadian stuff and appeared at some Canadian shows
TaoBao is inaccessible to me - and a few times when I did access this (via VPN) - there were too many glitches and navigation was extremely labyrinthine. I gave up. I don't know if that has anything to do with Chinese sites being blocked here.
I don't use Taobao itself but engtaobao as a proxy. I give them what I want to buy, they purchase it and then I accumulate it together as a parcel and they send it on. Taking a cut obviously.
That's a decent number for what can be seen as a 'boutique' brand - around 17 per year. I have indeed read (I do recall) a number of pieces you have written on HYJL and their release history - however never imagined so many had been released!!!

However, I'd wonder how NG would agree to releasing overlapping subject matter - like the Air China A350s or the Air Canada A330 for example. The Juneyao Blessed Land Program was also released by HYJL earlier if I remember one of your articles correctly - of course on their own mould I'd guess - that NG also borrowed prior to making their own - as you have written about.
Yeah there has been some duplication recently. NG didn't seem to mind.
Besides the point, but just noteworthy how NG's factory seems to be the epicentre of consistent high quality production now in 1:400 scale - they'd mentioned about expansion of their facilities - interesting to see that those are swamped as well. I'm curiouo where Panda manufactures theirs - with all the collaborations they make - and with their erratic output.
NG has more than one facility. As I understand it JC has at least 8!! It certainly isn't 1 factory : 1 brand but the details are impossible to define.

You say erratic output from Panda but they produced 71 different releases in 2023 (Gemini only made 110). A lot weren't for themselves directly but they make a lot more models than the typical US/EU centric collector often notices.

Initially I wasn't excited about these but after looking at them there are more I'd like than I can easily afford but I guess that's because I like Chinese airliners. I still think this is NGs best set of the year, especially if you like Chinese or American models, but there's still no classic material and too many Ultimate Collection pieces.

You say erratic output from Panda but they produced 71 different releases in 2023 (Gemini only made 110). A lot weren't for themselves directly but they make a lot more models than the typical US/EU centric collector often notices.
Erratic in terms of unpredictability.
It's true that cumulatively that's a lot of PM releases - however access isn't always guaranteed.
Many retailer exclusives don't make it to stores even if they stock 'regular' PM releases. Many retailers have refused to stock PM because of their inconsistent output.
It's unfortunate because for the retailer exclusives, the regular PM distribution network isn't used.
Plus, it's not always possible to purchase from that specific retailer as they may not serve all geographic regions
Thus I couldn't pick up the Miniature Models Thai 734 in the classic Landor scheme, for instance.

Erratic in terms of unpredictability.
It's true that cumulatively that's a lot of PM releases - however access isn't always guaranteed.
Many retailer exclusives don't make it to stores even if they stock 'regular' PM releases. Many retailers have refused to stock PM because of their inconsistent output.
It's unfortunate because for the retailer exclusives, the regular PM distribution network isn't used.
That's the point though. They are made and paid for by the retailers. There is almost zero margin in selling them on to other retailers. If you see that happening then it probably suggests the retailer is struggling to sell them.
Plus, it's not always possible to purchase from that specific retailer as they may not serve all geographic regions
True but to be honest I have always been able to get all the ones I have wanted. Most retailers will ship it just needs people to be willing to pay the postage.
Thus I couldn't pick up the Miniature Models Thai 734 in the classic Landor scheme, for instance.
I'm pretty sure that one was for sale in the US

Last edited: