NG Model 1:400 December 2023 Release Hints

Wanted to mention this as well, the A320s in the last batch all have outrageously high window lines. Shouldn't have pass QC tbh
The high window line is unacceptable. It's such a shame especially since the mold is great otherwise! I have the Spirit A320neo that was released a few months ago and that window line is perfect. Not sure what happened with the last batch but I really hope it's fixed soon. It's very uncharacteristic of NG.

This year overall was honestly a step-down for NG. While there was some good, there were lots of repetitive, boring, and weird releases along with some uncharacteristic mistakes (e.g. the A319/A320 window line height, the blue being too dark on the Southwest Heart Max 8 and JetBlue new livery A321). NG has great molds, but release choices aren't one of their big strengths. I don't remember there being a set this year that had a broadly positive response. Hoping for a better 2024 with the 'Year of Classics' and the releases of numerous new molds.

Last edited:
Not sure what has triggered it but NG are laying the smackdown on AK over at DAC for some reason.
Seems like NG had enough of Andrew complaining on D.A.C. and Andrew can't really get mad about it since he does the same thing himself to NG. Kinda glad NG gave him a little reality check over his behavior and I'm quite interested to see how Andrew reacts to all of that.

Gotta appreciate that they backed their claims up with evidence. It is often the step a concerning lot forget to take.

On a side note, the quality difference really does show when another company's product is placed under NG's photo settings...

The high window line is unacceptable. It's such a shame especially since the mold is great otherwise! I have the Spirit A320neo that was released a few months ago and that window line is perfect. Not sure what happened with the last batch but I really hope it's fixed soon. It's very uncharacteristic of NG.
JC Wings has problems as well on the A321 to keep the window line in place. Same with Panda on their 737. NG is not the only one. But of course, should be fixed soon!

Attachments

• Eurowings.png
    Eurowings.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 95
I'm a big supporter of NG but 2023 has not been a great year for release choices and this December set of 38 models is the worst set of NG releases ever put out. There's so much repetition and although I get the concept of splitting production across multiple regs even a lot of the other choices are lacklustre. Here are my thoughts:

I'm a big supporter of NG but 2023 has not been a great year for release choices and this December set of 38 models is the worst set of NG releases ever put out. There's so much repetition and although I get the concept of splitting production across multiple regs even a lot of the other choices are lacklustre. Here are my thoughts:
Hey Richard so as always I went through this intently.
Few thoughts - and I love your work so no hard feelings and we can always argue over this in an imagined future scenario over beer or coffee or whatever choice of beverage yours may be! 😁 😁😁:
1) While I get the 'noise' being made regarding this release set, dismissing them altogether may be a bit too extreme - and I now get this feeling that this is subconsciously being conditioned or forced on by the whole 'NG apologist' thingy nonsense - and now you're (unknowingly or unwittingly) going out of your way to disprove that ruse 😁. So while most of these models deservedly need to go into gas guzzler / workhorse territory - many are also inappropriately languishing in the RStretton jail :D
2) Many of the 'High Flyers' should actually be supersonic - especially the A330s (you missed the Aviance A332F?) - some are completely new or 'first releases / early releases' to the scale like the Canadian Govt A330s, the Avianca A332F, Sichuan Panda 4 (and yes - they are all different actually - and that's charming and fun too, besides being a cute set - perhaps the most cheerful A350s out there) - others are being made on a best-in-class modern mould for the first time - and I'm talking of CZ (they'll outshine the inferior and detail-less AC versions by far and it is an aircraft/livery combo that is really realy sought after) & the CA A332s (let's keep the hoo-haa on the classic/ultimate/etc bit aside - there's no evidence from the price listings in this set that they are 'that' more expensive than the regular releases - 5pc or so - after looking at the listings on various stores - and we must be okay with that, considering that they're in fact the same prices as inferior offerings by AC & PH - and thus of far far better value). I agree with you of course on the Kuwait A332s - those are really unnecessary now in such close proximity to the previous releases - even though - to state otherwise - the first two releases were extremely popular.
3) The Saudia 1011 grey belly, and the Avianca Gracias / wingtip fences version definitely deserve to be in the HF / SS category - Gracias hasn't been made before - and while I'm unhappy that Avianca repainted the earlier stunning Pride scheme on the same aircraft to the regular livery - this still is the first time it's being made in 1:400. Also, saying 'do we need 7-8 Avianca A320s' is a bit of a hyperbole if we're being objective - as the regular scheme - there are only a couple made now - the rest are all the special commemorative schemes - plus the earlier regular NG one had the sharklet and this one has the wingtip fences. Likewise the Saudia 1011 grey belly is a great addition and companion to their polished belly (despite the minor errors imo - c'mon AC mucked up the Eastern titles this time on the A300) - and on the whole, while we should be rightfully unhappy that we're only getting one 1011 this month, we shoud let ourselves be objective enough to realise what a great model it'll be and much much needed for collectors at large - and perhaps the only one on a perfect 1011 mould - the previous one won't come close to it by a mile - and you know that, but I reiterate nonetheless.
4) Thus if a DL 738 with split scims can be ranked highly, so should an AV with wingtip fences - both never been made before on NG's fab moulds, and before on a detailed top-of-class mould. From the position of a critic / commentator, I urge you to continue to be more balanced and with less rhetoric - and I write this as a friend and as a fellow reviewer/writer/critic (of buildings of course, hehe)
5) There are some schemes that we personally may not be fond of - and the Pokemon and Nok schemes are amongst those (though I love the Eevee scheme purely from a graphic design perspective - with its mauve, browns and yellows energetically yet gracefully making their arc across a pale grey belly - and thus I will get it) - NG's 777 is better than the competition - and thus, it's okay to rank it highly, even though Av400 & PH have gotten to the market before them - sometimes it's also not a race to 'who's first' - but about 'when will it be made on this mould' - and inspite of the PH & Av400's availability - NG's are selling like hot cakes - because many collectors (like myself) have been waiting for it on an NG mould.
6) Other than these, I totally agree with everything else you state on the review video.
Cheers!
S

Last edited:
Hey Richard so as always I went through this intently.
Few thoughts - and I love your work so no hard feelings and we can always argue over this in an imagined future scenario over beer or coffee or whatever choice of beverage yours may be! 😁 😁😁:
1) While I get the 'noise' being made regarding this release set, dismissing them altogether may be a bit too extreme - and I now get this feeling that this is subconsciously being conditioned or forced on by the whole 'NG apologist' thingy nonsense - and now you're (unknowingly or unwittingly) going out of your way to disprove that ruse 😁. So while most of these models deservedly need to go into gas guzzler / workhorse territory - many are also inappropriately languishing in the RStretton jail :D
2) Many of the 'High Flyers' should actually be supersonic - especially the A330s (you missed the Aviance A332F?) - some are completely new or 'first releases / early releases' to the scale like the Canadian Govt A330s, the Avianca A332F, Sichuan Panda 4 (and yes - they are all different actually - and that's charming and fun too, besides being a cute set - perhaps the most cheerful A350s out there) - others are being made on a best-in-class modern mould for the first time - and I'm talking of CZ (they'll outshine the inferior and detail-less AC versions by far and it is an aircraft/livery combo that is really realy sought after) & the CA A332s (let's keep the hoo-haa on the classic/ultimate/etc bit aside - there's no evidence from the price listings in this set that they are 'that' more expensive than the regular releases - 5pc or so - after looking at the listings on various stores - and we must be okay with that, considering that they're in fact the same prices as inferior offerings by AC & PH - and thus of far far better value). I agree with you of course on the Kuwait A332s - those are really unnecessary now in such close proximity to the previous releases - even though - to state otherwise - the first two releases were extremely popular.
3) The Saudia 1011 grey belly, and the Avianca Gracias / wingtip fences version definitely deserve to be in the HF / SS category - Gracias hasn't been made before - and while I'm unhappy that Avianca repainted the earlier stunning Pride scheme on the same aircraft to the regular livery - this still is the first time it's being made in 1:400. Also, saying 'do we need 7-8 Avianca A320s' is a bit of a hyperbole if we're being objective - as the regular scheme - there are only a couple made now - the rest are all the special commemorative schemes - plus the earlier regular NG one had the sharklet and this one has the wingtip fences. Likewise the Saudia 1011 grey belly is a great addition and companion to their polished belly (despite the minor errors imo - c'mon AC mucked up the Eastern titles this time on the A300) - and on the whole, while we should be rightfully unhappy that we're only getting one 1011 this month, we shoud let ourselves be objective enough to realise what a great model it'll be and much much needed for collectors at large - and perhaps the only one on a perfect 1011 mould - the previous one won't come close to it by a mile - and you know that, but I reiterate nonetheless.
4) Thus if a DL 738 with split scims can be ranked highly, so should an AV with wingtip fences - both never been made before on NG's fab moulds, and before on a detailed top-of-class mould. From the position of a critic / commentator, I urge you to continue to be more balanced and with less rhetoric - and I write this as a friend and as a fellow reviewer/writer/critic (of buildings of course, hehe)
5) There are some schemes that we personally may not be fond of - and the Pokemon and Nok schemes are amongst those (though I love the Eevee scheme purely from a graphic design perspective - with its browns and yellows on a grey belly - and thus I will get it) - NG's 777 is better than the competition - and thus, it's okay to rank it highly, even though Av400 & PH have gotten to the market before them - sometimes it's also not a race to 'who's first' - but about 'when will it be made on this mould' - and inspite of the PH & Av400's availability - NG's are selling like hot cakes - because many collectors (like myself) have been waiting for it on an NG mould.
6) Other than these, I totally agree with everything else you state on the review video.
Cheers!
S
Wow that's a lot of thoughts. These release ranking videos are incredibly subjective. I don't expect people to agree with them in their entirety.

If I rank everything NG does as great it gets a bit silly. I'm happy to criticise them when they deserve it and 2023 hasn't been a great year. If it wasn't for the Chinese models I'd probably not be getting a lot of NG anymore. I've bought 37 NGs this year and 22 have been Chinese and the majority of those have been quite boring - same old airlines and aircraft mostly made before.

Of the remaining 15 I could easily not have got 7 of them if there were more interesting models about.

The Saudia and Aviancas are damned by not being surrounded by much more interesting L-1011s and A320s. However we don't need 8 Avianca A320s. It is hardly a massively collected airline and the number of people buying even 4 of the 8 together is going to be tiny.

For supersonics it really has to excite me or be something I think will excite the collectorate and RCAF A330s aren't either of those things :)

Ultimately I don't subscribe to the 'only buying NG because they are so much better' argument. NG can't be the only brand in 400 scale and it would be disastrouse if they were. I would, if there was a choice, most of the time choose NG but there hasn't been a choice. NG's output this year has been poor. Very poor.

The box art on the 2 releases I'm interested in.

Attachments

• 413801065_18135594967314024_1820341570091043336_n.jpg
    413801065_18135594967314024_1820341570091043336_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
  • 413853339_18135592963314024_5548052507061007909_n.jpg
    413853339_18135592963314024_5548052507061007909_n.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
It’ll be interesting how the Max 7 turns out. If its good, I will most likely buy that release.
I feel like the blue is still gonna be too dark considering that the shade of blue on the render is the same as it was for the Max 8. The livery looks accurate in the renders, so I'm not sure why the blue came out too dark on the Max 8.

1703579478941.png1703579416952.png
1703579367107.png

Heck, the blue on the 737-700 future release looks darker than the 737 Maxes. Eek

Welp. Maybe it's time to shoot them an email about this. I'd really hate to see the -700 coming out with the wrong color.
The last NG Southwest 737 Max had wrong colors: too dark blue and too light yellow… whereas the oldest NG SW 737-800s Hearth livery were right.