Box Storage

YesterAirlines

Box storage is a never-ending issue for the 400 scale collector but for the first time ever all my 400 scale boxes are now in one place, the loft, with a bit of room for some extras! This is what 2,745 400 scale boxes looks like stored!

I've tried various different plastic storage boxes over time as you can see. Annoyingly most have curves so don't allow 100% space utilisation. The open topped plastic cubes are probably the best. Made by Taurus - annoyingly can't seem to get them outside NZ so have switched to the black fliptop ones from Wilkos

BOXES_02.JPG
BOXES_03.JPG

Last edited:
I have shared pics of my arrangement in the past. I mostly use cardboard boxes. The downside of course is that they are not waterproof and I'm not sure about their durability, though some of them have served me well for over a decade. I tried an attic in the garage, which is separated from the house. But without AC the Texas summer will melt the cradles, so I took them out of there after a few months. The attic in the house has a more moderate temperature, but it is not suited for storage (AC unit and water heaters are in there), plus I try to stay away from that place as modern houses in the U.S. are made out of wood and cardboard, so it is really easy to fall through the ceiling if you step in the wrong place, trust me, I know ;) :oops:

As far as keeping track of which model is where each big box has a number (not seen in the meme), and then I have an Excel database that tells me where each model box is stored.

BoxMeme.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 8.49.54 AM.png

Last edited:
I have shared pics of my arrangement in the past. I mostly use cardboard boxes. The downside of course is that they are not waterproof and I'm not sure about their durability, though some of them have served me well for over a decade. I tried an attic in the garage, which is separated from the house. But without AC the Texas summer will melt the cradles, so I took them out of there after a few months. The attic in the house has a more moderate temperature, but it is not suited for storage (AC unit and water heaters are in there), plus I try to stay away from that place as modern houses in the U.S. are made out of wood and cardboard, so it is really easy to fall through the ceiling if you step in the wrong place, trust me, I know ;) :oops:

As far as keeping track of which model is where each big box has a number (not seen in the meme), and then I have an Excel database that tells me where each model box is stored.

View attachment 17437

View attachment 17439
I'm glad I don't have to contend with the extremes of temperature you do. The Aeroclassics boxes are great because they are at least smaller then all the rest but also annoying because until recently you couldn't tell what model came in them!

I'm glad I don't have to contend with the extremes of temperature you do. The Aeroclassics boxes are great because they are at least smaller then all the rest but also annoying because until recently you couldn't tell what model came in them!
Indeed, that is another issue, I use sticky notes on Aeroclassics boxes. A bit of an ineffective system, as they usually fall from the boxes.

Personally, I use some old shelves to store boxes. Only problem is I'm almost out of space. Maybe I'll need to utilize some old cardboard boxes in the future for better storage.

Nicely organized. I probably won't have to worry too much about space considering NG's releases these days... and my self-imposed 1:200 ban lol.

Very neat. My current system consists of large cardboard boxes, labelled by number, and the whereabouts of each model box are noted on a spreadsheet, similar to YV.

Alas, recently we do!! Got up to 30 degrees here in UK a couple of weeks ago, then freezing cold in the winter. All my boxes are stored in a mixture of plastic tubs like yours and some in cardboard boxes. The biggest problem is matching the boxes to the models when the time comes!

Today where I live the high was 37. It felt a bit warmer than that with the humidity. We try to keep the house around 24 on average. I do keep some donors in the garage, which is not air-conditioned and can get up to 35, never had an issue. My issue was with an attic in the garage that gets very hot (40+), I was storing empty model boxes there and the plastic cradles started to get soft and deformed.

I need to find some of those huge plastic boxes. I stack my boxes on the floor and my dog sleeps next to them. So now some of them have dust and fur on

I've been using large plastic footlockers that I number. They tend to hold a lot and easily stack.

Attachments

• IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4465.JPG
    IMG_4465.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 10
I've been storing my boxes in the long under the bed plastic storage totes. 9 of them hold all 432 of my boxes with room for a few more. I'll need to pick up one more of those soon.