Boeing 314 Clipper - Corgi 100 Years of Flight Series

YesterAirlines

The lack of flying boats in 400 scale (aside from the Herpa Catalinas) has been an annoyance for a long time considering their importance in developing long-haul air travel. I was recently alerted by my friend @Adrian to the existence of a trio of Boeing 314 Clippers made by Corgi and almost to 400 scale. They can be found on eBay for peanuts and while a little toylike are surprisingly decent. Here's NC18605 'Dixie Clipper' the aircraft that began the first 314 service, the 6 day San Francisco - Hong Kong route, on February 23, 1939.

Annoyingly the moel although with its original box lacks the stand. The temptation is to make a water layout for it to sit on.

DSC03721.JPG

1280px-Boeing_314_Yankee_Clipper_1939.jpg

DSC03724.JPG

DSC03725.JPG

There are some interesting models of these vintage aircraft around. I got a 1/250 TWA Boeing 307 Stratoliner on it's way, made by Delprado Japan. The only B307 model listed on DIMA, but surely there has to be at least another one? (not including the silverplated Atlas models)

Coincidentally I was thinking recently that it would be cool to have a flying boat in 1:400 scale!