Why NG Models Critics Are Wrong...And Right!

NG should keep a "I want DL/AA/UA/SW release now!" counter and after sometime tally it up and do some of the most Eastern releases (Russian Chinese and mainly other under represented areas in Asia) for the number of times some one cries about it. Thats if they can even keep up with the demand.

(On the very unlikely chance NG is reading this, please don't make that happen)

They haven't made a single active KE widebody, and no OZ at all. They've done 4 CX in total.
Took the words right outta my mouth. An American collector and a WN luver I may be, I do fly to East Asia regularly and I'd kill for a KE/OZ/KA A330 or a CX 77W.

I've actually suggested the latter to NG virtually the moment they announced their 777 mold. Yet after two years all we got was a fantasy model, shame.

Last edited:
'murican collectors unable to (still) come to terms with their prized 'American' company loosing its 'shine, releasing a lot of junk and being no longer the dominant player, with a 'rookie' disruptor now setting the tone for 1:400.
I see all this as an extension of this anxiety of loosing their cultural, economic, political domination, and an inability to accept other countries and regions as legitimate players and worthy equals.
For so many years all were okay with too many N- regs. (figuratively speaking). But now, those are getting replaced by the B regs. (figuratively speaking)
The irony that the 'American' company never really ever was fully American to begin with, is lost on them.
So we see this chatter and whataboutery and this belittling and constant brainwashing of the audience into believing their petty arguments.
Sorry but it's impossible to not acknowledge the role of the political body in all these conversations.
With all due respect, this topic doesn't need to involve geopolitics - it's more of personal biases at play. Collectors from every corner of the globe love to see their airlines being represented (better yet, full sets of releases consisting only of their airlines of choice), including us American collectors. I follow NG on WeChat, and I've seen Chinese collectors rejoice when the sets are mostly Chinese, and be disappointed when there's a lull in Chinese releases. I can guarantee It's the same behavior everywhere.

Diecast models are the LAST place we'd contemplate and vent our social issues in (although complaints about rising shipping costs is rather valid). We're in this hobby because of passion, and ultimately our passion might blind us from seeing the bigger picture, and that's where the conflict of interest comes in.

Last edited:
My chief complaint, coming From a retailer point of view is that everything is repetitive within a month or two. Last month AC came out with the AA retro liveries for the 321’s, now so does GJ, I didn’t order any with GJ. NG finally released the AC 320 last month, well GJ did the same one this month. So for us it’s an easy order, we aren’t ordering the same releases that just came out. I didn’t watch your video Richard, sorry, but for us we are neutral in the brands as they all sell. People like what they are gonna like. Overall NG’s quality is better in my opinion, for my personal collection I buy 70’s/80’s era models, as that’s what I grew up with flying. So not a ton of NG in my personal collection, I wish they would do more retro. But the majority of my collection is AC/ GJ and yes DW. Yes some have issues but it’s not earth shattering. Again as a retailer we don’t see that much preference from one brand to another in reality. Any given customer has any and or all brands when buying.

My chief complaint, coming From a retailer point of view is that everything is repetitive within a month or two. Last month AC came out with the AA retro liveries for the 321’s, now so does GJ, I didn’t order any with GJ.
This is often frustrating I agree, especially for retailers. However in this case weren't the Gemini's pre-announced as future releases a while ago, almost certainly before Aeroclassics began production (knowing how short the production times are for AC). The problem becomes the winner ends up the first who releases or announces something. This has historically led to some annoying practices like between Phoenix and JC and nowadays the whole future release thing.

I agree it'd be better though if brands focused on more diversity and that would avoid the issue more often but they just don't seem to see that as being in their interest financially.

I might add that I am as neutral as anyone when it comes to model buying, but business practices and experience lead to opinions being formed based on the evidence provided and that leads to less credit being sent in certain directions. In my collection 1,472 (52%) of the models are made by Aeroclassics and Gemini are in 2nd place still with 291 models (10%). NG are third with 248 and like you I wish they'd make more retro.

Last edited:
No offence but this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. All North American and all modern. No, more people don't want these than 90% of the usual releases. In fact I wouldn't want any of them at all, even if they hadn't all been made before multiple times. There are other countries out there other than the USA and over 100 years of aviation before 2010.

Plus I've just seen the Feb releases from Gemini and they are pretty dreadful and 90% N American. Yet the US fanboys will lap them up despite the mediocre moulds and quality being delivered then have the chuzpah to complain when out of 35 NG releases only 10 are American and they percieve the tiniest issue with one of them!

They are announcing new 757-300 mould. They could use these moulds by releasing the models I suggested which are requested by a lot of people. And I don’t think you prefer collecting russian tupolev or fantasy planes more than getting a 757-300 which is made with a new and better mould than GJ…

I love European and Asian airlines as much as I love NA airlines (as an European). Particularly long haul EU and Asian airlines planes. However, I think JCW, GJ, Phoenix or AV400 have better moulds to make these aircraft than NG (IT’S MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION AND YOU CAN DISAGREE). I prefer NG 737, A320s and 757 but I prefer other brands 777 or 747.

They are announcing new 757-300 mould. They could use these moulds by releasing the models I suggested which are requested by a lot of people. And I don’t think you prefer collecting russian tupolev or fantasy planes more than getting a 757-300 which is made with a new and better mould than GJ…

I love European and Asian airlines as much as I love NA airlines (as an European). Particularly long haul EU and Asian airlines planes. However, I think JCW, GJ, Phoenix or AV400 have better moulds to make these aircraft than NG (IT’S MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION AND YOU CAN DISAGREE). I prefer NG 737, A320s and 757 but I prefer other brands 777 or 747.
I think they will make the Delta 757-300s so I don't think you need to worry. Aside from possibly ATA and maybe CO I actually can't think of a single 757-300 I'd buy. Personally I'd much prefer Tupolevs myself or even Russian 757s.

My most apparent criticism of NG at this time is their seemingly forgotten promise of classics!

I appreciate the MD and 741/2 moulds are still in the works, but their excellent Tu-154 mould would do wonders for Syrian Air, Cubana, Balkan, and Malev (just to name a few). Not to mention an L1011-500 in 'British' and 'British airways' negus variants to pair up with the lovely -200.

We're barely closing out Q1, so I remain optimistic for the remaining pipeline. I am less concerned with the geography of models released, and more so with the era.

I agree with a lot of the points you said in the video. Most of the criticism pointed towards NG are very unnecessary, and the amount of expectations set are quite extreme. And I agree with JJ's comment below. NG started off really strong with great models. So, naturally, people do have high expectations when it comes to them announcing new releases. Which is both a good and bad thing.
they’ve set themselves this high standard back when they started in circa 2018, and I think they did great starting out, through the next few years or so.

The "NG are making too many models" complaint I find funny and ridiculous. I may have found one or two of those comments in this forum where they imply about it. Especially when it comes to fantasy models in a release. Seriously??? I, and many other people, find it great that NG is releasing quite a variety of airlines ("variety" I use a bit loosely).

But on the other hand, there is a lack of diversity in their more recent releases. And also not properly using some of their moulds. Personally, I would rather have the same airline and aircraft type, but with a different registration, instead of having multiple ones with the same reg. It gives a bit more of a "realistic diversity". It may not be everyone's thing, but I digress. I would love to see a bit more airline variety instead of mostly Chinese and US ones (I was a happy boy when NG released a bunch of JP and some SEA airlines, but hey, I'm just one person in a sea of voices).

Now, looking at the situation, I think we should all take a step back. We should be grateful that there is a company that is able to churn out tons of models in a niche market, interacts, and listens to the community. Yes, NG deserves some criticism when it comes to announcing re-releases or duplicates, and not utilizing some of their moulds. But, there is a point where there is unwanted nitpicking at every little thing they do, and some people are too entitled and have such unrealistic expectations. In my opinion, I would rather wait for a company to make a quality model and listens to feedback, than a company that rushes a poor model out simply because they wanted to "get to the market first" and berates the community.

Would I get Delta and United 757-300 to replace my GJs? Yes.
Am I dying for NG to release them right away? Absolutely not.

As someone who US airlines is in his collection criteria, we are spoiled for choice.

I agree with a lot of the points you said in the video. Most of the criticism pointed towards NG are very unnecessary, and the amount of expectations set are quite extreme. And I agree with JJ's comment below. NG started off really strong with great models. So, naturally, people do have high expectations when it comes to them announcing new releases. Which is both a good and bad thing.

The "NG are making too many models" complaint I find funny and ridiculous. I may have found one or two of those comments in this forum where they imply about it. Especially when it comes to fantasy models in a release. Seriously??? I, and many other people, find it great that NG is releasing quite a variety of airlines ("variety" I use a bit loosely).

But on the other hand, there is a lack of diversity in their more recent releases. And also not properly using some of their moulds. Personally, I would rather have the same airline and aircraft type, but with a different registration, instead of having multiple ones with the same reg. It gives a bit more of a "realistic diversity". It may not be everyone's thing, but I digress. I would love to see a bit more airline variety instead of mostly Chinese and US ones (I was a happy boy when NG released a bunch of JP and some SEA airlines, but hey, I'm just one person in a sea of voices).

Now, looking at the situation, I think we should all take a step back. We should be grateful that there is a company that is able to churn out tons of models in a niche market, interacts, and listens to the community. Yes, NG deserves some criticism when it comes to announcing re-releases or duplicates, and not utilizing some of their moulds. But, there is a point where there is unwanted nitpicking at every little thing they do, and some people are too entitled and have such unrealistic expectations. In my opinion, I would rather wait for a company to make a quality model and listens to feedback, than a company that rushes a poor model out simply because they wanted to "get to the market first" and berates the community.
Honesty I love where they do multiple regs, now if it was spaced out it would be perfectly fine but still, I love how they made 2 different reg DAL 752s, especially in a model airport stand point it’s a nice touch of realism.

Just curious Richard, what is the highest score you've ever given a model in one of your reviews?

A few points about your video:
I think the main reason people get pissed about NG's re-releases more so than when Gemini or JC wings does the same thing is the disappointment that NG are just becoming 'another manufacturer' and not standing out from the crowd, releasing people's suggestions and requests, and becoming just another sausage factory pumping out 737, 787, A330 etc with repetitive airlines and liveries. I mean, take a look through the Dima database of what JC wings used to make, does the nature of releases remind you of any particular company compared to JC modern day releases? (Apart from the 3 or 4 surprises which are sometimes very nice), look at the aircraft variety too!

Every manufacturer seems to have their main 'income stream' models, (GJ and EK A380's, various US models. PHX and SQ A380's, various A340's, Chinese models. JC wings - random cargo airlines and now NG seem to have found there 'sweet spot').

A positive of this, is the fact that NG have forced manufacturers like phoenix to think outside the box a bit and focus more on obscure airlines/aircraft like the influx of Soviet airliners, random middle eastern carriers and A340 models we have been saying lately due to NG snatching a large amount of their market, improvements in JC's release sets can be seen too, of course clearing out their warehouse, and hopefully the sets will continue to improve.

Than there is the modern US market, which is so large there seems to be room for Gemini and NG, and even Aeroclassics and Phoenix (whom have spotted a hole of retro US models being made lately and have popped their head in). IMO, the reason why the US market is the largest and the county which the same models a released again and again is due to the large amounts of YouTube creators with model airports, building hubs leading to them acquiring a fleet of 5 or 10+ AA 738's, CRJ's, UA 737's, this leads to a massive demand.
Can't seem to say the same about collectors anywhere else in the world, I haven't seen too many Chinese collectors collections or if they're as into model airports as the people in the USA.

I think the main reason people get pissed about NG's re-releases more so than when Gemini or JC wings does the same thing is the disappointment that NG are just becoming 'another manufacturer' and not standing out from the crowd, releasing people's suggestions and requests, and becoming just another sausage factory pumping out 737, 787, A330 etc with repetitive airlines and liveries.
I remember when they were way more open to collector requests. I know a friend who suggested a model to them almost four years ago and he was told it would be made later that year, but that never happened. Heck I even suggested them a different model at about the same time but they never did it; GJ ended up making it so I bought that instead. I’ve since stopped providing release suggestions directly to NG.

Then again, they did listen to the collector who (jokingly) wanted a pink Southwest plane…

Just curious Richard, what is the highest score you've ever given a model in one of your reviews?
The highest score a model can get is 30 and out of 327 reviews 6 models have received this score - 5 NGs and 1 AV400. There have been 30 models hitting 29 but only one has been a GJ, however 6 have been JC Wings. This isn't anything to do with my scoring. NG just make better models!!

A few points about your video:
I think the main reason people get pissed about NG's re-releases more so than when Gemini or JC wings does the same thing is the disappointment that NG are just becoming 'another manufacturer' and not standing out from the crowd, releasing people's suggestions and requests, and becoming just another sausage factory pumping out 737, 787, A330 etc with repetitive airlines and liveries. I mean, take a look through the Dima database of what JC wings used to make, does the nature of releases remind you of any particular company compared to JC modern day releases? (Apart from the 3 or 4 surprises which are sometimes very nice), look at the aircraft variety too!
I agree and I have given NG plenty of criticism where it is due. However, the focus and double standard on NG does comes off as rather ungrateful and self absorbed, especially when a lot of it is nonsense. Imagine this scale without NG - it'd be dreadful. There is always the fear that collector stupidity could kill the golden goose.

I see what you're saying about NG vs JC but I'd argue JC never reached the level of quality that NG routinely does.
Every manufacturer seems to have their main 'income stream' models, (GJ and EK A380's, various US models. PHX and SQ A380's, various A340's, Chinese models. JC wings - random cargo airlines and now NG seem to have found there 'sweet spot').
I'm not sure about this point. NG still release a very varied geographic range and I wouldn't say they focus on one market more than others. This is the point JJ Skippy made erroneously the other day. Look at the numbers and they really reveal collector bias not NG production bias - at least in terms of geographic region.
A positive of this, is the fact that NG have forced manufacturers like phoenix to think outside the box a bit and focus more on obscure airlines/aircraft like the influx of Soviet airliners, random middle eastern carriers and A340 models we have been saying lately due to NG snatching a large amount of their market, improvements in JC's release sets can be seen too, of course clearing out their warehouse, and hopefully the sets will continue to improve.
NG have 100% changed the way both JC Wings and Phoenix operate, which is another example of why they have been good for the hobby.
Than there is the modern US market, which is so large there seems to be room for Gemini and NG, and even Aeroclassics and Phoenix (whom have spotted a hole of retro US models being made lately and have popped their head in). IMO, the reason why the US market is the largest and the county which the same models a released again and again is due to the large amounts of YouTube creators with model airports, building hubs leading to them acquiring a fleet of 5 or 10+ AA 738's, CRJ's, UA 737's, this leads to a massive demand.
Most of these kids on Youtube buy a puny number of models and their followers the same. I don't think they have much of an impact on model production. Model brands are very poor at working out what is made in general, have poor insight into avhistory or sales outside China and older collectors buying vastly more models per person than 15-25 year olds buying 20 models a year are far more likely to impact the market. I have recently had quite a bit of insight into how at least one of the majors works (not NG) so I know what I'm on about.

Gemini couldn't care a less about Youtubers or what they say. They would rather they all went away.
Can't seem to say the same about collectors anywhere else in the world, I haven't seen too many Chinese collectors collections or if they're as into model airports as the people in the USA.
The US gets a look in but there are as many people with model airports in Europe and China and elsewhere as in the USA. The health of markets like Indonesia illustrates the power of other markets.

The US-bias evident on platforms like Youtube is not a real indicator of anything in my opinion, aside often from the poor taste of those collectors - ha ha ha

I remember when they were way more open to collector requests. I know a friend who suggested a model to them almost four years ago and he was told it would be made later that year, but that never happened. Heck I even suggested them a different model at about the same time but they never did it; GJ ended up making it so I bought that instead. I’ve since stopped providing release suggestions directly to NG.

Then again, they did listen to the collector who (jokingly) wanted a pink Southwest plane…
They are getting thousands of requests a year - probably more. At the start they needed to listen more and were very attentive to people who knew what they were talking about. Collectors who think that now in 2024 their request should be listened to over everyone else's are silly. NG don't like to say no, which is good marketing but I really question why people think their voice should be heard over others and why NG should drop their plans just for them. NG do listen sometimes, certainly more than any other brand, but this expectation that they should do what they're told by individuals they don't know is exactly the sort of nonsense I'm calling out.

The pink one was pretty neat and funny but why listen to…him out of all of us…

Also idk if it was jokingly, I see him bragging about it here and there…

No idea; it was all a joke in the beginning that NG took pretty seriously afterwards. They’ll do what they want to do 😂

Fantasy planes I wouldn’t mind seeing though would be from airlines who ordered planes but never took them (ex. TWA A318). Would be nice to get those once in a blue moon or so.

Also idk if it was jokingly, I see him bragging about it here and there…
More power to him I guess, but it was grating for those of us whose suggestions (for real stuff) are repeatedly ignored.

No idea; it was all a joke in the beginning that NG took pretty seriously afterwards. They’ll do what they want to do 😂

Fantasy planes I wouldn’t mind seeing though would be from airlines who ordered planes but never took them (ex. TWA A318). Would be nice to get those once in a blue moon or so.
I 100% agree with you here. Aircraft ordered but never received would be great like the TWA A318, NW A340, CO A330, Aero Lloyd, BCal and SQ MD-11s - the list goes on. These have real historical value I feel.

There are quite a few fantasy Concordes around but annoyingly a lot in schemes that are too modern when they could have made the airline scheme for the airline at the time they ordered them.

Never realised NWA ordered the A340? That would've been a sight to behold if it ever came to fruition, the only A340 ordered in the USA to fly RPT.