Why NG Models Critics Are Wrong...And Right!

YesterAirlines

Despite being the best brand in 400 scale by most measures NG Models has been getting a lot of stick recently (including from me). Some of it is warranted and some of it is not. I thought I'd take a look at the criticisms I've been hearing and see whether they hold any water. There are definitely grounds for improvement and criticism but some of what I hear is nonsense too.

Despite being the best brand in 400 scale by most measures NG Models has been getting a lot of stick recently (including from me). Some of it is warranted and some of it is not. I thought I'd take a look at the criticisms I've been hearing and see whether they hold any water. There are definitely grounds for improvement and criticism but some of what I hear is nonsense too.

I can never take these emojis seriously 😭

Nah but in all seriousness, I can secondhand a ton of your points. My nitpick with all the criticism is how NG seems to be "picked on" in a sense by everyone. I see very similar things with other brands yet nobody will speak a word upon it. It seems whatever NG does there is always a negative point toward them. Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone will have their own favorite brand. For example JJ Skippy may favor GJ over NG, which is perfectly fine. There's freedom of speech and opinion for a reason. However if you are gonna have a nitpick upon a brand, back it up/make it worth the time, because some of these nitpicks are just nuts. That's my take.

Last edited:
These emojis (back in the day they were called "Smileys" or "Emoticons", as far as I remember!) also crack me up 😆😆😆

And yes, I also agree that some criticism towards NG is wrong and unnecessary. They still release quality stuff. I consider them to be the best in 1:400 regarding to overall quality of the models. Some people also seem to overhype NG a lot. They want NG to release everything. Well, there are also other brands releasing very decent models and some people don't seem to care about them too much. And people will be bitching because NG printed 18736 rivets on the model instead of 18737. Give me a break!

My biggest complaints about NG are two shown in the video: poor usage of moulds and lack of variety. However, by lack of variety, here's a disclaimer: I do agree that they have a great cover of geographic regions around the world. I just wish NG could go back to some obscure releases they once had in their beginning. They went on to release old hybrid liveries of the 1980s, a very Aeroclassic-ish territory, and some other oddballs (example: Tajik Air B757-200). Nowadays these are more rare, and they seem to be sticking with more mainstream airlines.

IMO they could also develop Buchannan more, and give them the responsibility to keep releasing those interesting birds.

Last edited:
Here’s my take on the situation (warning, wall of text below):

I think all manufacturers suffer from this problem, though to varying degrees; this isn’t just NG who suffers from over-criticizing by collectors. As Irish said there are people who don’t nitpick one brand for whatever reason, but will do it with all others; I’ve seen this happen with NG, too. One manufacturer can have a huge problem on their model (GJ most frequently), and everyone jumps onto it, but in the past I’ve seen NG make similar mistakes and yet nobody, if barely anyone, speaks of it. I remember when they did the Southwest Maryland One a couple years back which had elongated cockpit windows, and only a few from what I saw spoke of it when it first came out. It’s gotten better as of now, as there seems to be more fairness on the part of collectors.

As for NG specifically, I think as to why they get nitpicked so much is because they’ve set themselves this high standard back when they started in circa 2018, and I think they did great starting out, through the next few years or so. It’s just now they’re starting to slip in a few places, and people are noticing it. Despite my own preferences, I’m not very fond of the nitpicking either if you want my honest opinion; having to bring out graphics with lines and stuff seems excessive to me. Usually you aren’t gonna notice the issues you’re pointing out with these graphics from more than a foot away from the model. No manufacturer nor model is perfect. Achieving perfection at this scale is improbable, if not nearly impossible. Granted we’ve seen what NG can do with what’s at their disposal, but from my perspective, every now and again you almost have to expect an imperfection on a model. Obviously some manufacturers have them more often than others, like GJ for instance.

On another note, release choices, in my opinion, from NG aren’t as great as what they used to be. Nowadays, they’re heavily Chinese-influenced; this makes sense on the surface though as they are based in China. It’s just like Gemini Jets and them doing a bunch of US releases; it makes sense because they’re based in the United States. Not very often does either brand heavily delve into other markets, albeit with few exceptions. I will say that rating releases can be a bit subjective, as it can easily be influenced by one’s preferences and/or interests. @Irish I know you said my preferences with GJ, and that’s true. I feel like at some point it’d be appropriate for me to talk about that more in-depth elsewhere; talking about our collecting preferences by manufacturer, era, region, etc, would be a great topic somewhere on this forum. It may also help quell disputes about our own preferences.

Overall, I highly agree that there’s a lot of wanted and unwanted criticism directed at NG.

Last edited:
I agree with lots in the video. Most is subjective, so there is no real good or bad. The only thing that NG definitely does worse than others is releasing different versions of the same aircraft in consecutive months. Maybe 1 in 10 people collect that airline and are happy, but 9 out of 10 are dissapointed two (or more) months in a row. And surely lots of people that collect this airline don't have the budget to buy all of them. How many people still want more Qantas 747SP's when there are liveries like Luxair, factory livery, NASA, Alliance etc.

Not sure what you all think, but if a brand has one release full of KLM models, but absolutely nothing for the rest of the year, it would be much more boring than having them spread out. Chances of missing out on one is also much higher for the average collector.

Last edited:
By the way, one of the funniest and most disappointing releases IMO happened when NG announced a Corsair B747SP, which is a great release... the next month, they released an LX reg B747SP... most people thought it would be a Luxair (which would be fantastic), but turned out to be the very same Corsair 747SP, now wearing a Luxemboug reg instead. The real machine wore this LX reg for just a quick time before being properly registered in France.

I mean, come on! :cautious:

By the way, one of the funniest and most disappointing releases IMO happened when NG announced a Corsair B747SP, which is a great release... the next month, they released an LX reg B747SP... most people thought it would be a Luxair (which would be fantastic), but turned out to be the very same Corsair 747SP, now wearing a Luxemboug reg instead. The real machine wore this LX reg for just a quick time before being properly registered in France.

I mean, come on! :cautious:
That’s what I dislike about NG releases. Sure having that bit of variety can be fun but only a niche group out of what is already a niche hobby is going to be fascinated by having all the different registration variations. I’m also not fond of them doing two or three of the same plane in the same release, each one having either a different registration or a different-colored engine, nose radome, winglet, etc. I don’t mind them doing one regular and one special though, that’s fair play for me.

I agree with lots in the video. Most is subjective, so there is no real good or bad. The only thing that NG definitely does worse than others is releasing different versions of the same aircraft in consecutive months. Maybe 1 in 10 people collect that airline and are happy, but 9 out of 10 are dissapointed two (or more) months in a row. And surely lots of people that collect this airline don't have the budget to buy all of them. How many people still want more Qantas 747SP's when there are liveries like Luxair, factory livery, NASA, Alliance etc.
I agree it is annoying but what irks me most is when people complain about it then also complain NG are making too many models and then not making the models they want all at once :)

Even with the duplicates NG is making 2 to 3 times as many models as Gemini or Phoenix are so I don't really get why people get so hung up on the duplicates (which as I say all the other brands do too just with more spacing, which itself introduces problems).

I don't mind them releasing multiple Qantas SPs, but when they don't make any other SPs, or hint at regs which turn out to be a stupid hybrid as mentioned above, then it does annoy me.

By the way I think Buchannan is toast.

On another note, release choices, in my opinion, from NG aren’t as great as what they used to be. Nowadays, they’re heavily Chinese-influenced; this makes sense on the surface though as they are based in China. It’s just like Gemini Jets and them doing a bunch of US releases; it makes sense because they’re based in the United States. Not very often does either brand heavily delve into other markets, albeit with few exceptions.

But NG makes a lot of US releases and aren't heavily China influenced. In 2023 NG made 354 releases. 49 were from the USA representing 14%. 64 were from China so 18%.

Gemini on the other hand produced only 111 models. 59 were from the USA so 53%!!!

There is no comparison when it comes to geographic diversity whatsoever and this is the sort of statement I find annoying as it mainly comes from Americans who just aren't paying attention. The US is very well covered, especially when you consider that the US aviation scene is basically static compared to emerging markets.

Part of the reason I did this video was that stupid vid by Citrus he posted. He's a nice lad but his video basically had two points in it a) NG make too many repeats which he doesn't understand and b) his viewing figures suggested people cared more about Gemini (not surprising since most of his audience is American, and Gemini has a high profile in the US). At the same time he admits NG make better models than Gemini but he's still buying models he knows are rubbish anyway. The whole vid reeked of the sort of nonsense US-bias that not only is lazy but factually incorrect too.

Part of the reason I did this video was that stupid vid by Citrus he posted. He's a nice lad but his video basically had two points in it a) NG make too many repeats which he doesn't understand and b) his viewing figures suggested people cared more about Gemini (not surprising since most of his audience is American, and Gemini has a high profile in the US). At the same time he admits NG make better models than Gemini but he's still buying models he knows are rubbish anyway. The whole vid reeked of the sort of nonsense US-bias that not only is lazy but factually incorrect too.
I watched a few videos and things do indeed not add up. There is nothing wrong with expressing opinions or not covering NG because it doesn't get enough views, but you shouldn't complain about NG releasing 2 different registrations while buying multiple of the exact same Delta CRJ-900.

NG please:

-Delta Air Lines 757-300 no winglets
-Delta Air Lines 757-300
-Delta Air Lines 757-200 no winglets
-United Airlines 757-300 Continental merger
-Southwest Airlines 737 MAX 8 Hearth regular livery (with right colors)
-Air Canada 737 MAX 8
-American Airlines A321-200

I think more people want these models more than 90% of usual new releases sets models.

NG please:

-Delta Air Lines 757-300
-Air Canada 737 MAX 8

I think more people want these models more than 90% of usual new releases sets models.

https://modelairlinerforum.com/threads/ng-models-1-400-model-wishlist.75/

There's a thread for this... Let's keep the discussion here related to the OP's video.

'murican collectors unable to (still) come to terms with their prized 'American' company loosing its 'shine, releasing a lot of junk and being no longer the dominant player, with a 'rookie' disruptor now setting the tone for 1:400.
I see all this as an extension of this anxiety of loosing their cultural, economic, political domination, and an inability to accept other countries and regions as legitimate players and worthy equals.
For so many years all were okay with too many N- regs. (figuratively speaking). But now, those are getting replaced by the B regs. (figuratively speaking)
The irony that the 'American' company never really ever was fully American to begin with, is lost on them.
So we see this chatter and whataboutery and this belittling and constant brainwashing of the audience into believing their petty arguments.
Sorry but it's impossible to not acknowledge the role of the political body in all these conversations.

NG please:

-Delta Air Lines 757-300
-Air Canada 737 MAX 8

No offence but this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. All North American and all modern. No, more people don't want these than 90% of the usual releases. In fact I wouldn't want any of them at all, even if they hadn't all been made before multiple times. There are other countries out there other than the USA and over 100 years of aviation before 2010.

Plus I've just seen the Feb releases from Gemini and they are pretty dreadful and 90% N American. Yet the US fanboys will lap them up despite the mediocre moulds and quality being delivered then have the chuzpah to complain when out of 35 NG releases only 10 are American and they percieve the tiniest issue with one of them!

Last edited:
One manufacturer can have a huge problem on their model (GJ most frequently), and everyone jumps onto it, but in the past I’ve seen NG make similar mistakes and yet nobody, if barely anyone, speaks of it. I remember when they did the Southwest Maryland One a couple years back which had elongated cockpit windows, and only a few from what I saw spoke of it when it first came out. It’s gotten better as of now, as there seems to be more fairness on the part of collectors.

Incidentally are you comparing this:

ng-models-77006-boeing-737-700-southwest-airlines-maryland-one-livery-with-canyon-blue-tail-n2...jpg
to this:

387234242_18395073958030755_5894831952734012685_n.jpg

Because they aren't comparable.

NG has never ever put out a model with QC issues like the above or the Avelo 73H, Aer Lingus ATR, National 727, Loganair Saab etc etc etc

Personally think NG releases are great, with a lot of variety each month. Certainly, no complaints from me. Yes it would be good to get some more major airlines like CX, SQ, but maybe they don't want to deal with the licensing issue's that are well known, especially with CX...?
Plus I've just seen the Feb releases from Gemini and they are pretty dreadful and 90% N American. Yet the US fanboys will lap them up despite the mediocre moulds and quality being delivered then have the chuzpah to complain when out of 35 NG releases only 10 are American and they percieve the tiniest issue with one of them!

Agree. The irony is those same people moan about the constant Chinese / Qatar releases by NG :ROFLMAO:

Side note, I got banned from DAC for making a comment about GJ crappy models. Guess stating your opinions aren't allowed over there anymore...

'murican collectors unable to (still) come to terms with their prized 'American' company loosing its 'shine, releasing a lot of junk and being no longer the dominant player, with a 'rookie' disruptor now setting the tone for 1:400.
I see all this as an extension of this anxiety of loosing their cultural, economic, political domination, and an inability to accept other countries and regions as legitimate players and worthy equals.
For so many years all were okay with too many N- regs. (figuratively speaking). But now, those are getting replaced by the B regs. (figuratively speaking)
The irony that the 'American' company never really ever was fully American to begin with, is lost on them.
So we see this chatter and whataboutery and this belittling and constant brainwashing of the audience into believing their petty arguments.
Sorry but it's impossible to not acknowledge the role of the political body in all these conversations.
Couldn't agree more! The patriotic American collectors yapping on about how "we don't get enough DL/AA/US/SW" drive me mad. Out of every demographic in this hobby, the NA collectors are the most spoilt.

Proving our points... Same old models that have been made many, many, many times before. A quick DiMA search shows these:

GJ Delta 753 w/o Winglets
GJ Delta 753 w/ Winglets
GJ Delta 752 w/o Winglets
NG Delta 752 w/o Winglets
GJ United 753
NG SWA 78M
GJ/AC SWA 78Ms (9 of them!)
GJ/AC/PH Air Canada 78Ms (4 of them!)
NG AA A321
GJ AA A321 (1)
GJ AA A321 (2)
AC AA A321 (1)
AC AA A321 (2)
AC AA A321 (3)

I'm sure you can find at least one of each available for sale ;)

Side note, I got banned from DAC for making a comment about GJ crappy models. Guess stating your opinions aren't allowed over there anymore...
Jeez, I didn't realise it had gotten that bad. I haven't bothered lurking over there of late. Unfortunately it's a dying site.

Overall I'm pretty content with NG. Yes there are things here and there that it'd be nice for them to improve, but overall, they are leagues ahead of the competition.

Surely in this modern world, you'd think we could all just come together in such a hobby and be happy with what we get! :)

Couldn't agree more! The patriotic American collectors yapping on about how "we don't get enough DL/AA/US/SW" drive me mad. Out of every demographic in this hobby, the NA collectors are the most spoilt.

Proving our points... Same old models that have been made many, many, many times before. A quick DiMA search shows these:

GJ Delta 753 w/o Winglets
GJ Delta 753 w/ Winglets
GJ Delta 752 w/o Winglets
NG Delta 752 w/o Winglets
GJ United 753
NG SWA 78M
GJ/AC SWA 78Ms (9 of them!)
GJ/AC/PH Air Canada 78Ms (4 of them!)
NG AA A321
GJ AA A321 (1)
GJ AA A321 (2)
AC AA A321 (1)
AC AA A321 (2)
AC AA A321 (3)

I'm sure you can find at least one of each available for sale ;)

Jeez, I didn't realise it had gotten that bad. I haven't bothered lurking over there of late. Unfortunately it's a dying site.

Overall I'm pretty content with NG. Yes there are things here and there that it'd be nice for them to improve, but overall, they are leagues ahead of the competition.

Surely in this modern world, you'd think we could all just come together in such a hobby and be happy with what we get! :)
I agree with your comment about being happy with what we get!

I think why they do complain is because NG has the best product and they’re not utilizing it to make those US planes. I, for one, wouldn’t mind NG to do those, even though I have a majority of them made by other companies. It would be nice for those who missed out on those initial releases and the ones that haven’t been made yet. On the other hand, I’m with those who say we should be happy with what we get already; GJ does great representing the US market for obvious reasons.

NG please:

-Delta Air Lines 757-300
-Air Canada 737 MAX 8

Mate, in the grand scheme of things, most collectors don't give a toss about those. Everyone's criteria is different, and the aviation world doesn't revolve around Murica. Tons of folks want European narrowbodies, stuff from Oceania and Latin America, East Asian majors etc. All of which NG has been piss poor at delivering.

US collectors get variety and quality; every major brand pumps out truckloads of US stuff monthly, and the best (NG) is no exception. Others aren't so lucky....

Let's talk about non-Chinese Asian majors. Folks who collect those get variety, but not quality. Yes many brands like JC/PH/AV make these, but they're simply not as good as NG, who ignores said airlines. For people like me with high standards, there's quite literally nothing to get.

Here are some numbers. It's been 4 years since NG's last SQ release, of which there's a grand total of 5. They haven't made a single active KE widebody, and no OZ at all. They've done 4 CX in total. Conversely, NG has 29 AA, 40 UA, 29 DL, and is cranking out more by the month. You think the demand isn't there? CX/SQ etc. models routinely fly off the shelves, and NG's KE 78X (which hasn't even entered the fleet yet) sold out before hitting retailers. The demand is very much there.

Bottom line is, US collectors have absolutely no grounds to complain. You get the most models, as well as the best ones. And NG's preposterous strategy of catering to only the US and China has to change. They should tone down US/China releases to 3~4 a month (still a lot!), and stop shafting massively popular airlines from other regions. There's many collectors to please, and even more money to be made.

Last edited: