Thoughts on paying for pre-orders as they are shipped instead of when you order

When would you rather be charged for a pre-order?

• As soon as I place a pre-order for an item

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • When the model is ready to be shipped to me

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

Midwest

Staff member
Hello guys, we're considering moving to a system where we're able to not collect payment for models purchased as pre-orders when the order is initially placed and instead charge the customer once we are ready to ship the model to the customer. Currently, we follow the standard policy of charging the full amount when the pre-order is placed as most other stores do.

Curious about what collectors feel about this policy? I know a few stores have this policy but am curious about what people think about it.

Mostly concerned about people being annoyed that they are charged at an unknown time and they may not have enough money in their account and get charged an NSF fee or something like that. When you pay in full when you order you don't need to worry about us charging weeks/months later.

I feel like charging for when the pre-ordered model arrives is more appropriate as opposed to charging the customer immediately following the order being placed. I feel that it gives the customer a bit more flexibility in case the pre-order is delayed and they want to put their money towards something else, or if they’re unsure of enough funds for when it arrives.

I think that if you move to a system like this, it would be best to notify customers with at least a 24 to 48 hour notice for when preorders for a specific release are set to arrive.

With releases getting delayed left and right nowadays, this would be very helpful for customers. As long as a notification is appropriately sent like JJ said, this new system would make a whole lot more sense! It's not pleasant to pay for an Aviation400 or JC on the spot that could take more than a year to actually arrive.

I can add something to my site for preorders
(charge them at ___ date )

May add that and charge them when my orders are due

Speaking of which my Gemini Order is due soon I gotta submit that

I feel like charging for when the pre-ordered model arrives is more appropriate as opposed to charging the customer immediately following the order being placed. I feel that it gives the customer a bit more flexibility in case the pre-order is delayed and they want to put their money towards something else, or if they’re unsure of enough funds for when it arrives.

I think that if you move to a system like this, it would be best to notify customers with at least a 24 to 48 hour notice for when preorders for a specific release are set to arrive.
I didn’t think about the 24 to 48 hour idea, that’s quite smart actually.

With releases getting delayed left and right nowadays, this would be very helpful for customers. As long as a notification is appropriately sent like JJ said, this new system would make a whole lot more sense! It's not pleasant to pay for an Aviation400 or JC on the spot that could take more than a year to actually arrive.
Agreed, it’s frustrating to have customers wait that long for a preorder.

I’ve paid when my pre order has been delivered to the store the last few times, has worked really well for me.

The UK retailer, Aviation Retail Direct, only charge on a pre-order once the model is in stock and ready to ship, which I think is the correct practice. I’ve had a few problems with being let down on pre-orders in the past, which can happen at times, but having money tied up in something you don’t even receive after X amount of time waiting is really annoying, so will not repeat this again.

For example, I pre ordered the JC wings Alaska 737-800 Star Wars back in July when it was announced. The retailer charges immediatlely when I ordered. Then, in October, NG announces the same model. I'd MUCH rather have the NG, so unless the retailer allows me to cancel my JC order, I'll end up with both of them.

I'm on the fence with this one. While I like the payment to be immediately posted, knowing the funds are available, I don't like running into the issue @Purpleplane just mentioned. Same thing happened to me, but thankfully the retailer let me switch the two orders without hassle. I guess the idea of getting an email saying something like "Good news, you preorder has arrived to the store. We will be processing your payment for it in the next 24-48 hours" etc.

For example, I pre ordered the JC wings Alaska 737-800 Star Wars back in July when it was announced. The retailer charges immediatlely when I ordered. Then, in October, NG announces the same model. I'd MUCH rather have the NG, so unless the retailer allows me to cancel my JC order, I'll end up with both of them.
Hmm, that is a good point. Practice could still be done even if someone pays full but it's definitely a lot easier if we don't charge until it ships.

I'm on the fence with this one. While I like the payment to be immediately posted, knowing the funds are available, I don't like running into the issue @Purpleplane just mentioned. Same thing happened to me, but thankfully the retailer let me switch the two orders without hassle. I guess the idea of getting an email saying something like "Good news, you preorder has arrived to the store. We will be processing your payment for it in the next 24-48 hours" etc.
The best compromise may be to offer both methods of payment during checkout. 1. Where you pay full price when placing the order. 2. Where you pay when the model is about to ship with a 24-48 hour notice.

This is the reason I have little faith in pre-orders... I have had far too many experiences with JC, especially when I was newer to the hobby, where I pre-ordered the model and it either did not turn up or took almost a year to finally arrive. If this system was implemented, I would be far more inclined to pre-order models, as the risk would be almost eliminated for me.

Last edited:
Do what ARD does, have an option to pay up front or 'Contact me when my order is ready'. At that point you are invited to pay, not automatically charged. I don't allow storage of my card details either and elect to receive a PayPal invoice which I pay within a defined time slot. Other payment methods apply too.

This is the reason I have little faith in pre-orders... I have had far too many experiences with JC, especially when I was newer to the hobby, where I pre-ordered the model and it either did not turn up or took almost a year to finally arrive. If this system was implemented, I would be far more inclined to pre-order models, as the risk would be almost eliminated for me.
Yes, I'm with you there. JC is ridiculous with the time from announcement to actual models arriving at retailers. I'm still waiting for the Alaska 737-800 that was announced in JULY. I know this really is a short wait time compared to some of the others I've seen.

Interesting, thank you everyone for your input. Another thing is what do the retailers that offer this service do if you order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items? Do they only charge you for in-stock or what is the process in that instance? It's very common for our customers to order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items to save on shipping costs.

I would say so... I don't have any experience with the system and the customer only paying for the in-stock items at that makes the most logical sense.

Interesting, thank you everyone for your input. Another thing is what do the retailers that offer this service do if you order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items? Do they only charge you for in-stock or what is the process in that instance? It's very common for our customers to order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items to save on shipping costs.
Well, what do you typically do as a retailer?