Thoughts on paying for pre-orders as they are shipped instead of when you order

When would you rather be charged for a pre-order?

• As soon as I place a pre-order for an item

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • When the model is ready to be shipped to me

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
ARD here in the UK split the shipment with pre-orders following later on, charged at the time they’re supplied

Interesting, thank you everyone for your input. Another thing is what do the retailers that offer this service do if you order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items? Do they only charge you for in-stock or what is the process in that instance? It's very common for our customers to order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items to save on shipping costs.
My main dealer I deal with, will hold the whole order until all items arrive then bill and ship. That had worked great for the longest time, but I don't have to tell you some manufactures announce a model that takes over a year to show up now. I'm still waiting on a model I order in February 2021.

So my dealer will still wait a few months before shipping, but if the "pre-orders" still haven't arrived, he will then ship out the "in-stock" items and only bill for the "in-stock" items that are shipped.

My main dealer I deal with, will hold the whole order until all items arrive then bill and ship. That had worked great for the longest time, but I don't have to tell you some manufactures announce a model that takes over a year to show up now. I'm still waiting on a model I order in February 2021.

So my dealer will still wait a few months before shipping, but if the "pre-orders" still haven't arrived, he will then ship out the "in-stock" items and only bill for the "in-stock" items that are shipped.
Welcome to the community! What model have you been waiting on since February 2021?

Paying for pre-ordered models is not good for the customer who hasn't even seen the model or even a photo of it. I only order and pay for models once they are in stock and I can actually see what I'm getting. Even better, visit the store where possible and handle the model you're buying to check out the quality and accuracy of it.

Interesting, thank you everyone for your input. Another thing is what do the retailers that offer this service do if you order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items? Do they only charge you for in-stock or what is the process in that instance? It's very common for our customers to order a mix of pre-orders and in-stock items to save on shipping costs.
One of the retailers that I regularly order from that does this simply holds the in-stock models until the pre-orders have shown up and then charges for everything once they are ready to ship the whole order out.

I've always looked at preorders as a scam, a way for others to operate using someone else's money.
My company will never ever go down that road, and I for one, will never preorder anything sight unseen!!

Just my humble opinion!!
I do prefer that myself. Models are available for sale only when they're released. The only drawback is that they sell so fast, you have to stay on your toes so you don't miss out. Pre-ordering helps to "reserve" it, so to speak. In that scenario, it would be preferable to pay when it's actually shipped.

I've always looked at preorders as a scam, a way for others to operate using someone else's money.
My company will never ever go down that road, and I for one, will never preorder anything sight unseen!!

Just my humble opinion!!
I agree. I don't exactly think they are a scam, but I am always cautious around them. I am glad that Aeroclassics will not head down that path, thank you. :)

Preorders can be helpful when you for sure want the model but can be a letdown if there are issues with the models. It's so challenging to predict what will happen. I literally, ordered Lone Star One, and the next day another version came out.

Preorders can be helpful when you for sure want the model but can be a letdown if there are issues with the models. It's so challenging to predict what will happen. I literally, ordered Lone Star One, and the next day another version came out.
That's happened to me before also. Pre-ordered the JC Wings Alaska Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, and then NG came out with it about a month or so later. I have the NG, and the JC STILL hasn't been out yet. Luckily I was able to cancel the JC pre-order.

That's happened to me before also. Pre-ordered the JC Wings Alaska Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, and then NG came out with it about a month or so later. I have the NG, and the JC STILL hasn't been out yet. Luckily I was able to cancel the JC pre-order.
I personally think all of the JC pre-orders are a red flag. I am still waiting on my retro Qatar 777 from early this year (February?), and the retailer won't let me cancel my order. Very annoyed about that. I now will never pre-order anything until they turn up in retailers so I can go and buy a physical copy myself.

Its out? I still haven't gotten mine yet.

I personally think all of the JC pre-orders are a red flag. I am still waiting on my retro Qatar 777 from early this year (February?), and the retailer won't let me cancel my order. Very annoyed about that. I now will never pre-order anything until they turn up in retailers so I can go and buy a physical copy myself.
It seems like the lag time for certain JC Wings releases is anywhere from several months to more than a year. Lesson learned, I won't pre-order any JC Wings from now on.