Out of Control Pricing of Second Hand Models

Very good point, and if these prolific scalpers can be listed, I will definitely do my part to making sure that they're not buying multiples of our new releases!! Seriously!!

During our recent Black Friday sale, I cancelled 2 orders, both for multiples of the same hot items, namely Ozark DC-9s and TWA L-1011s, as I refuse to allow my generosity of a sale to collectors to be abused by some greedy AH who will flip it on Ebay for a healthy profit. In spite of those two, our sale was a huge success with many cashing in on great prices, most in the low to mid $20s, and I'm happy for those who were able to get what they wanted for a great deal!!
And that's why AC is the best brand in 1/400 (that and many other reasons)

my only suggestion to Aeroclassics is to make more hybrids I would love to see some nice new hybrid soon from Aeroclassics

Talking about overpriced models, here is one I found:

1670648214677.png

That is $305USD! Ridiculous! And for a model that was only released a few years ago on an inferior mould, there is no other word for it than greed...

Last edited:
Yes, I've done that before myself. The TWA L-1011 is a good example for me. I sold my Gemini version as soon as my NG arrived.
Yep. Same with me and my Qantas 747SPs. I had hunted them down and only found one a month or two before NG’s release, but without hesitation I sold both the Gemini’s and bought the NG’s.

Yes, it was an easy decision for me, the NG is just better, and the Gemini was a cradle mount with that extra seam at the tail. The only thing that I was hesitant about...the fact that it was released in 1999 and one of my very first models.

This is the worst I've seen so far...

1680524566062.png

If it wasn't for the price, I would have bought those Finnairs without a second thought.

I never buy any models with the intent to sell them.
Same, that's why I almost never pull the trigger unless it's an NG or AV400, representing a very specific group of airlines. Some of my "oh that's cool" knee-jerk purchases are admittedly starting to feel a little redundant...

I never buy any models with the intent to sell them.

Me neither, the only time that I admittedly bought models thinking that I could get money out of them was back when Aeroclassics Viasa DC-10s YV-134C and YV-137C were released. I bought three YV-137Cs. Turns out I could have definitely profited from them, but that's just not me, and I abandoned the idea once my head cooled off. I kept mine of course and gave away (yes, for free) the other two to very good friends. I wish I had kept a duplicate for myself though 😄

Same, that's why I almost never pull the trigger unless it's an NG or AV400, representing a very specific group of airlines. Some of my "oh that's cool" knee-jerk purchases are admittedly starting to feel a little redundant...

I try to stay very focused also, but it is difficult, with time criteria change, and thus models that were very relevant become redundant. But then again, the few times that sell models, I do price them to sell, not to profit.

---------

While we are on the topic, check this AC TAP 707 delivery c/s open up for bids with a starting price of $130 plus shipping from Europe (expensive to the U.S.).

I recently won the same model (in good condition) at another eBay auction for $75, which is already pricey... To be fair with the seller, by looking at his reviews and the prices of his other items, he seems to be a down-to-earth collector that is simply saying: "hey, this model is hard to come by, so if you want it I'll sell it for this much, otherwise I am happy to keep it," which is fair. But still, I think we have been carried away too much to be thinking that asking more than $100 for a 1/400 scale model is just normal.

Me neither, the only time that I admittedly bought models thinking that I could get money out of them was back when Aeroclassics Viasa DC-10s YV-134C and YV-137C were released. I bought three YV-137Cs. Turns out I could have definitely profited from them, but that's just not me, and I abandoned the idea once my head cooled off. I kept mine of course and gave away (yes, for free) the other two to very good friends. I wish I had kept a duplicate for myself though 😄

I try to stay very focused also, but it is difficult, with time criteria change, and thus models that were very relevant become redundant. But then again, the few times that sell models, I do price them to sell, not to profit.

---------

While we are on the topic, check this AC TAP 707 delivery c/s open up for bids with a starting price of $130 plus shipping from Europe (expensive to the U.S.).

I recently won the same model (in good condition) at another eBay auction for $75, which is already pricey... To be fair with the seller, by looking at his reviews and the prices of his other items, he seems to be a down-to-earth collector that is simply saying: "hey, this model is hard to come by, so if you want it I'll sell it for this much, otherwise I am happy to keep it," which is fair. But still, I think we have been carried away too much to be thinking that asking more than $100 for a 1/400 scale model is just normal.
I would pay for it only 13.0 shekels not even dollars 🤣