Out of Africa - A Haul of Aeroclassics and Big Birds at Great Prices

YesterAirlines

I buy a lot of models, too many really, but one of the ways I'm able to do that is by not paying over the odds. Pricing on the secondhand market has gotten way out of control in recent years. Just last week I was in contact with a guy who was selling an impressive haul of Aeroclassics A300s and his blanket price was $144 each, which is at least twice as much as the most expensive A300 is worth I'd say - let alone most of them, which are worth substantially less. In my entire collection of 2,873 models I've only paid over $75 three times.

Anyway it is possible to find bargains still, especially if you're buying multiple models together and The Aviation Shop in South Africa is a great example.

In the past month I've made two separate orders from Karel whose pricing is very competitive and more than makes up for the high cost of postage. Each of the two orders I made came with £100 postage costs but even if including these in with the model costs, by splitting them equally across the models, the first box of models came to £43 each ($52-53) and the second £48 each ($59-60). That doesn't sound enormously cheap but is no more than the cost to buy them new and these were mainly seriously rare and excellent Aeroclassics and Big Bird releases from 2003-2014.

So what did I get? Oddly I've only opened the 2nd order to date and here is half of it:

KLM DC-10-30 PH-DTA

DSC02844.JPG

UTA DC-8-63 F-BOLL (This one last sold for $75 at Waffle Collection Sale and we know his prices are usually cheaper than eBay or others)

DSC02870.JPG

Air Mauritius A319 3B-NBF - this is an odd one in that it never seemingly got an official release, but it dates from 2014

DSC02905.JPG

Karel is a hidden gem, though he's gaining popularity (🤫). You do have to make a large purchase to make up for postage. A good friend of mine who collects 1:500 once found many models at The Aviation Shop and placed a big order. He found some dirt-cheap postage by boat, which I remember was a pain to coordinate. I tagged along and got some rare 1:400 models for very reasonable prices, most notably my DW American Airlines MD-80.

Who is the mysterious Karel? Congrats on that KLM DC-10-30! I am looking for (a non gemini jets) one for quite some time but so far no luck. Really hard to find sadly.

Imma take a guess and day that there was a Sabena 743 in that order and a Olympic Airways A300 SX-BEL and a BA 747 by IF400

Who is the mysterious Karel? Congrats on that KLM DC-10-30! I am looking for (a non gemini jets) one for quite some time but so far no luck. Really hard to find sadly.
Karel Zaayman, he and the store are active on Facebook. Lots of great models for good prices. Shipping from South Africa is the only downside. It took 5 months to arrive when I bought from him in 2020 (it was shipped by boat). Now it should be much faster but also a lot more expensive.

Karel Zaayman, he and the store are active on Facebook. Lots of great models for good prices. Shipping from South Africa is the only downside. It took 5 months to arrive when I bought from him in 2020 (it was shipped by boat). Now it should be much faster but also a lot more expensive.
Yeah DHL at £100 but only took 5 days to arrive

Sadly his shipping prices are too expensive for me here in Brazil.
I was taking a look on his website and some models caught my eye. I've added a single 1:400 model to the basket and the shipping was costing U$78.00 :cry: :cry: :cry:

That UTA is (Gen Z lingo) *sick.
And of course those 2 DC-10s take the prize!
I see he's got an Air Afrique A300 too.
Looking forward to the 'goods' in Box 1 😁

i received my parcel from this store today.great prices and a great seller.Postage is expensive but like Richard rightly says if you order many models it makes it worth it as model prices are superb compared to the crazy prices we usually seeIMG_1317.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1308.jpeg
    IMG_1308.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg