Comparing 2023 Big Bird Mould 747s: Aeroclassics & Big Bird Mk3

YesterAirlines

I know this has been discussed quite a bit on the AC threads but I hadn't really talked about it at the site so I thought I'd pull together a review spurred on by the recent acquisition of the NZ 747.

Few moulds in 400 scale have had the longevity or appeal of the BigBird 747 and although it appears a replacement mould will hopefully be on the horizon soon that hasn't stopped quite a few releases on this old casting in the past 4 years, both from BigBird Mk3 and Aeroclassics. I've got quite a few of each brands and there's no denying the difference between the two. Here I take a look at what has been made and compare a 2023 BigBird to a 2023 Aeroclassics:

BBvsAC747s.jpg

I was getting back into the hobby when both JC and AC were in full swing with the re-birth of the BigBird 747 mold in 2020. Back then I don't recall the leading edge/pylon, or underwing flap track cover issues on the Aeroclassics ones receiving any public attention at all, even though the issues were there. For some reason, that Aeroclassics batch did not suffer from the low cockpit window issue. It would be "fun" to compare one of those Aeroclassic's from 2020 with the current ones. I personally believe the molds have a slight variation, with the current ones having a bigger (and more accurate I may add) forehead, but unfortunately, the windshileds seem to still be printed where they have always been, which now makes them look too low. Misplaced cockpit windows are an unforgiving mistake, so I wonder if that is the reason behind all recent scrutiny that has in turn brought the spotlight to the sloppy wing artwork issues.

I have nibbled on this topic, mainly on this article: https://www.yankeevictor400.com/post/the-best-and-worst-747-100-200s-in-1-400-scale

Below is a BigBird Mk3 from circa 2020. Low and oversized cockpit windows, but the narrow (incorrect) forehead hides it and turns it into a wondderful model.

1712085964884.png

Below is an older original BigBird. Almost the same issues expossed above apply:

1712086149055.png

I believe Witty at some point realized that BigBird and Aeroclassics had gotten the windshield placement wrong all along and tried to fix it, but the mold simply did not have the propper shape to accomodate it, as we can see on this Witty/Apollo below:

The model below is from before the 2020 period, which might be the reason JC and AC went back to the traditional cockpit placement expossed on the photos above.

1712086348850.png

Curiously, some of the non-Aeroclassics examples from circa 2020 seem to have started to show the current larger forehead, as the KLM example below shows:

Seems like BigBird Mk3/JC compensated with a larger windshiled, as it is still clearly too low, but it does not frown like current Aeroclassics.

1712086534855.png

What do I think about the whole thing?

BigBird 747s have never been accurate, but most collectors don't care about it as long as they look good, which has been achieved by tweaking the windshield.

Current Aeroclassics offerings could get away with the "free-style*" leading edge, pylons and underwing corogard if it wasn't because the frowning cockpit windows set off the alarms.

The original BigBirds still command what I personally think are unreasonable prices on the second hand market (and are not perfect, not even close). So I totally understand if someones decides that the price of the shortsommings of the current offerings fit inside the gap between MSRP and the second hand market.

* The "free-style" term was borrowed from Phantom.

Last edited:
Very cool insights from both of you.
The Air New Zealand model is really beautiful!
One thing I sometimes find a bit annoying on these BigBird 747s is the too long nose gear. Some models have a nose up attitude due to that.
On the other hand, some older BB 747s had too short gears! :LOL: 🧐

In the end, they all look better than these current AC 747s with poor printing issues. The cockpit windows on the United 747 are awful. Well, they also look quite bad on the American and Lufthansa models shown by Jorge.

I'd welcome if finally someone would post a photo comparison original BB/AC 747s vs. recent years AC 747 output. We've had the Alitalias or now the Lufthansa -230BM. The re-releases are such a sad sight to look at - cost cutting at production level to the max.

I'd welcome if finally someone would post a photo comparison original BB/AC 747s vs. recent years AC 747 output. We've had the Alitalias or now the Lufthansa -230BM. The re-releases are such a sad sight to look at - cost cutting at production level to the max.

I wish I had an original BB/AC Alitalia or Lufthansa.

I posted comparison shots of the early Aeroclassics 747-200BM Varig and their more recent release some while ago:

What I like better about the more recent model is:

+ polished belly
+ lighter shade of blue
+ flag and logos resized

What I like about the original release is:

+ correct paint scheme under the nose section
+ pylons correctly painted
+ SCD print

I posted comparison shots of the early Aeroclassics 747-200BM Varig and their more recent release some while ago:

What I like better about the more recent model is:

+ polished belly
+ lighter shade of blue
+ flag and logos resized

What I like about the original release is:

+ correct paint scheme under the nose section
+ pylons correctly painted
+ SCD print

To be fair, Aeroclassics has always made livery mistakes, it is not something new. That batch of 747s from circa 2020 did not suffer from whatever is going on in the cockpit area (bigger forehead? low windows? both?). When PP-VNB was released I recall people complained about the cargo door missing, but everyone seemed oblivious to the leading edge, pylons and underwing corogard issues that are being mentioned too often nowadays.

I agree the windshield issue is relatively new and did not affect Aeroclassics' first batch of re-releases.

A recent acquisition of mine is this BigBird Evergreen Supertanker 747-100 from last year. It doesn't seem to have sold well so is quite easy to find at discount but has some lovely detail on it, with extra aerials and especially the fire retardant pipes on the underside. The tail fit is a bit odd though and makes the tail titles not level.

EVERGREEN_B741ST_01.JPG
EVERGREEN_B741ST_19.JPG
EVERGREEN_B741ST_07.JPG

A recent acquisition of mine is this BigBird Evergreen Supertanker 747-100 from last year. It doesn't seem to have sold well so is quite easy to find at discount but has some lovely detail on it, with extra aerials and especially the fire retardant pipes on the underside. The tail fit is a bit odd though and makes the tail titles not level.

View attachment 28755
View attachment 28756
View attachment 28757

I really like those strakes/lines on the top of the wings, near the leading edges. I believe only the B747-100 had them???

Yesterday I got my BB400 Korean 747-200B. What a lovely release, with all the strengths of a 2024 paint and print job. If JC located the refined AV400 mould and pumped out classic (re-)releases, they would make a fortune.
You've ought to show us some photos please!

View attachment 28755
View attachment 28756
View attachment 28757
I got its sistership N470EV (947) made by Aeroclassics. I needed the specific reg as it was previously N749WA, which among other things flew freight for Viasa for some years. It was the only 747 to ever wear full Viasa colors.

I went for the erroneous "Supert Anker" version. There was a re-run with corrected titles, but last I checked it was hard to find.

The Aeroclassics one has the fire nozzles printed in too. Does the BigBird Mk.3 actually have some moded-in details there?

1712431695782.png

1712431727151.png

If JC located the refined AV400 mould and pumped out classic (re-)releases, they would make a fortune.

The word on the street is that GJ coerces JC into not doing that. I have to think GJ's reasoning is that by keeping the mantra of "one and done if you miss out you miss out" generates more sales overall across the board due to FOMO.

Then it is also said that classics don't sell that well, which I am not fully convinced of.

When PP-VNB was released I recall people complained about the cargo door missing, but everyone seemed oblivious to the leading edge, pylons and underwing corogard issues

Not really, no, at least not at the "other" forum. The first issue addressed was the tiny little "747-200R" instead of ..B printed on the model🧐.
And then it moved on to the leading edge, pylons, corogard... (some damned nitpicker brought it up :unsure: 😅)

What I'm missing in this discussion is the difference between a misprinted letter, door or cockpit window - stuff like this happens at pre-prod./production level with all manufacturers and the ratio mostly depends on the powers of QC at each brand/factory.
And then there's unpainted pylons, brushed on "free-style" LE detailing and sloppy brushed on corogard spread over numerous batches over several years. In contrast to the aforementioned occasional artwork/production goof up, this is a change of process - I guess in favour of sped up throughput and so reduced costs at production level. Back in the strong days of his brand, the man would have called this a money grab, btw. I'm just not sure whether this drastic reduction of product quality (in contrast to the output from 15-20 years ago) was ordered or if it's "sink or swim".
Anyways, these 747 still sell well no matter how low their quality has fallen, so everything done right. I just hope NG and others don't follow this "good enough from 3ft away" path.

I really like those strakes/lines on the top of the wings, near the leading edges. I believe only the B747-100 had them???

I too love those details. AFAIK these lines are nothing but dirt/excess sealant along the panel fasteners. Factory fresh they were almost invisible. Again AFAIK the -200s had a different structure or at least different method of fastening/sealing in this area. I think it's rather save to say that if you clearly see these stripes it's a -100.

The word on the street is that GJ coerces JC into not doing that. I have to think GJ's reasoning is that by keeping the mantra of "one and done if you miss out you miss out" generates more sales overall across the board due to FOMO.

Then it is also said that classics don't sell that well, which I am not fully convinced of.

GJ has re-released plenty of models in the past few years, so that can't be it. Why did JC even start this agreement with GJ? It prevents them from making so many sought after models and I'm sure their production facilities are easily capable of running independently.

View attachment 28755
View attachment 28756
View attachment 28757

Perfectly shows what's possible with this mould. Very nice detailing there.

Not really, no, at least not at the "other" forum. The first issue addressed was the tiny little "747-200R" instead of ..B printed on the model🧐.
And then it moved on to the leading edge, pylons, corogard... (some damned nitpicker brought it up :unsure: 😅)

My bad, I missed that discussion. I'm trying to remember and actually when I got back into 1:400 collecting I started buying models first and slowly eased back into social media and the forums a bit later, and there was a good reason for it 😅; I was not ready to tolerate other's passionate opinions, I think I'm getting better, but is never easy. I can also tell some of our fellow collectors are still in diapers when it comes to accepting other collectors' points of view. I still believe the issue is more mainstream now and even people on the sidelines can easily come across that information, back then it seemed to be limited to the DA.C regulars, but I could be wrong again.

Anyway, I'm not going to lie, I was blissfully unaware of those issues with the recent AC 747 wings until I read about it here. To me the underwing corogard, is really easy to ignore. The freestyle pylons and leading edges also require some dedicated inquisitiveness to notice, especially when there is already irregularity in wing markings across manufacturers. The thing that I noticed without anyone pointing it out to me was the low cockpit windows of the lastest batch. So it comes down to what each collector wants from this hobby, nostalgia, detail appreciation, a little bit of both depending on the model, etc. Maybe different types of collectors don't mix well?

GJ has re-released plenty of models in the past few years, so that can't be it.

You mean the monthly Emirates releases, and such. Those don't really count. The only recent GJ re-release that surprised me was the Delta 757 in the Widget c/s.

But if not, then what could it be?

Why did JC even start this agreement with GJ? It prevents them from making so many sought after models and I'm sure their production facilities are easily capable of running independently.

That I don't know. A clash of titans maybe? GJ brings good business to JC with all the corporate contracts (probably the only segment of the industry that brings real sizable profits), etc. Also, if they were to divorce you can bet GJ will make it really hard for JC to sell their products in the North American market. GJ has JC by the balls.

As I understand it JC Wings has recently renegotiated their deal with GJ and now has more latitude to make releases it previously couldn't. It'll no doubt be a while to see much evidence of that though. I know JC makes a lot of money from the agreement and GJ definitely controls access to the US market through ADI. I don't see them splitting up but if they did JC presumably owns all the modern moulds so it would be difficult for GJ.