Model 3,000

YesterAirlines

2024 has been quite fruitful for new additions (mostly cheap secondhand ones) and my collection has just passed the 3,000 aircraft mark. I started collecting 400 scale around 2010 so that's about 214 models a year, which sounds a little crazy. In my defence I rarely spend a lot on individual models and only 42 of my collection cost me more than $60 (and 23 of those are custom models). Anyway the random addition that marks model 3,000 is this Challenge Air Cargo 707 from the old AV400, which set me back £22. I've recently slightly expanded into US 1990s cargo carriers.

I know my collection is large but I've seen several quite a lot larger than mine. I'm a little bit of a snob as I don't count the sort of 'collection' that guy who displays at Shannon airport has since his appears to be a mess of scales and airlines - more like a horde than a real collection. Anyway I'd be interested to understand how large other forum members fleets are so drop a reply below.

3000.jpg

I only have 235 😂 mixture of scales though 1/400, 1/200, 1/72 & 1/48. About 25 military models, around 10 other airlines and about 200 British Airways. Not sure how many BA models I can get in total. Interesting question to research I think

I only have 235 😂 mixture of scales though 1/400, 1/200, 1/72 & 1/48. About 25 military models, around 10 other airlines and about 200 British Airways. Not sure how many BA models I can get in total. Interesting question to research I think
There are over 400 BA models in 400 scale just looking at the mainline carrier, albeit lots of duplicates in that obviously.

2024 has been quite fruitful for new additions (mostly cheap secondhand ones) and my collection has just passed the 3,000 aircraft mark. I started collecting 400 scale around 2010 so that's about 214 models a year, which sounds a little crazy. In my defence I rarely spend a lot on individual models and only 42 of my collection cost me more than $60 (and 23 of those are custom models). Anyway the random addition that marks model 3,000 is this Challenge Air Cargo 707 from the old AV400, which set me back £22. I've recently slightly expanded into US 1990s cargo carriers.

I know my collection is large but I've seen several quite a lot larger than mine. I'm a little bit of a snob as I don't count the sort of 'collection' that guy who displays at Shannon airport has since his appears to be a mess of scales and airlines - more like a horde than a real collection. Anyway I'd be interested to understand how large other forum members fleets are so drop a reply below.

View attachment 28585

I have this model also. Quite nice, but just like on their 722, they seem to have failed to properly clone the nose, it looks off, a tad blunt. Challenge had a huge presence in South America, which is why UPS had more presence in the region than FedEx. Not so much anymore, it is a challenging region of the world to support scheduled cargo ops from large companies.

You’ve probably answered this before Richard, but what is your collection ‘criteria’ to get to that many models?

You’ve probably answered this before Richard, but what is your collection ‘criteria’ to get to that many models?
It is broad but I avoid a huge amount of models with a date cut-off that is largely intact.

Basically I collect almost anything that is pre-2000 space permitting. I like to have a representative sample of airlines.

Then after 2000 I collect only Chinese airliners except for Indonesia, Iran and Russia where I'm willing to collect later (although only up to the Ukraine war for Russians). Oh and those AV400 A380s have been too tempting as well,

Congrats Richard, who thought 20 years ago that you will own more 1:400 scale models than 1:600 one day 😀
I've still got the 1,700 odd Schabaks but all in storage sadly.