NG's Quality Control Issues

So I was pre-recording Massive Unboxing 6, and unfortunately one model from @Midwest came broken which was so unfortunate. This here is my NG Models United Airlines 737-900ER in the Continental Globe colors as part of their June 2022 release set. So unfortunately for NG's QC to go down hill as of recent, especially if they release a huge set of models from a release set (examples: June and August 2022). Luckily I was able to contact them after I unboxed this model, and I needed up dropping it off at a nearest post office. I'm looking forward on getting my replacement soon if everything goes well. But all I can say to NG is for them to do a smaller release set and make sure that the quality control is check properly.

IMG_0954.jpg

Apparently, they've had this problem for some time now. When I got my first NG models in 2020, 3 of the A321's came with detached wings. Luckily no paint chips or scratches, and it was an easy repair. Most of the rest of my NG's arrived without any problems until My Delta L-1011 N725DA back in August. It arrived with 2 tires and an axle laying in the cradle. Again, an easy repair, but it does get a bit frustrating. I'm begining to think that NG stands for "No glue"

Last edited:
NG admitted to a glue fault on another forum concerning many batches from this year. It's hard to distinguish lapses in quality control from models simply breaking in transit, unfortunately. Hope your replacement comes okay!

Their September batch supposedly had the improved glue. I haven't heard much about that batch yet to begin with so I wonder if it was any better.

Apparently, they've had this problem for some time now. When I got my first NG models in 2020, 3 of the A321's came with detached wings. Luckily no paint chips or scratches, and it was an easy repair. Most of the rest of my NG's arrived without any problems until My Delta L-1011 N725DA back in August. It arrived with 2 tires and an axle laying in the cradle. Again, an easy repair, but it does get a bit frustrating. I'm begining to think that NG stands for "No glue"

Back then NG immediately decided to withdraw the A321 to deal with these issues. Now I feel like they have too much to deal with especially in the midst of strict Covid protocols over there.

I really think you are all making a mountain out of a molehill. There is no obvious correlation between relasing more models and lower QC - you are making that connection but with no proof whatsoever. It has been a common suggestion but as far as I can tell the only reason for that is because Ak and his backers constantly bang on about it over at DAC. I wonder why they do that???

Unless someone can produce some useful evidence I don't believe it. In fact I asked 3 major retailers (Waffle, Bedfordshire and Prairie) whether they'd noticed an increase in these issues and they all said they hadn't. They certainly all said that they were no worse than any other brand. I then asked people on Facebook the same question and the general outcome was that most people hadn't had much in the way of issues.

Models have been coming with loose parts forever and it isn't going to stop. NG are no worse than anyone else. They did admit to having some glue issues but one model in this post is no proof of anything. It simply isn't statistically of any value.

I also would say we really do need 20 releases a month. You may buy 1 or 2 models a month but you are all also smashing out huge wishlists all the time and I buy a lot more models. I want as many releases from NG as I can get especially if it means replacing releases from other inferior brands like Phoenix.

I get multiple NG models every month and of the around 30 models from them I have acquired this calendar year 1 has haid loose parts.

People make that assumption with their logic, not with proof. You can only prove it if you work in the factory. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually true, because they need to check a lot more models per month, so higher chance of a bad one slipping through. Maybe people were used to the great quality from 2019 and expected it to stay the same despite everything going on in China.

People make that assumption with their logic, not with proof. You can only prove it if you work in the factory. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually true, because they need to check a lot more models per month, so higher chance of a bad one slipping through. Maybe people were used to the great quality from 2019 and expected it to stay the same despite everything going on in China.
While I agree that it is hard to prove it isn't impossible and I would argue people make assumptions with logic - if that were true we wouldn't see so many ludicrous occurences in this world. Back on topic an example that can be proved was the Gemini Delta CRJ with the gears attached backwards which was clearly an issue with the majority, if not the entirety, of the release because there were so many images of the model posted by different people. I didn't see people suggesting GJ should make less models to get their quality back on track and rightly so because the two are not related.

I have not seen enough images of broken NG models to suggest there is any kind of systematic problem. People who expect all their models to come in one piece are the in the wrong hobby. What irks me is that for some reason NG are held to a standard nobody else is, which is nonsense.

Also the suggestion NG's quality was better in the past when they made less also holds little water from me. It should only be expected that when you make more there will be more issues but the only important thing is whether as a % of releases there are more issues and I have seen effectively no evidence that is the case. Also people that say NG's quality was better in 2018 or 2019 probably own 1 or 2 models from that time so don't know what they are on about.

This thread is based on an image of a single model and a lot of conjecture - nothing else.

I really think you are all making a mountain out of a molehill. There is no obvious correlation between relasing more models and lower QC - you are making that connection but with no proof whatsoever. It has been a common suggestion but as far as I can tell the only reason for that is because Ak and his backers constantly bang on about it over at DAC. I wonder why they do that???

Unless someone can produce some useful evidence I don't believe it. In fact I asked 3 major retailers (Waffle, Bedfordshire and Prairie) whether they'd noticed an increase in these issues and they all said they hadn't. They certainly all said that they were no worse than any other brand. I then asked people on Facebook the same question and the general outcome was that most people hadn't had much in the way of issues.

Models have been coming with loose parts forever and it isn't going to stop. NG are no worse than anyone else. They did admit to having some glue issues but one model in this post is no proof of anything. It simply isn't statistically of any value.

I also would say we really do need 20 releases a month. You may buy 1 or 2 models a month but you are all also smashing out huge wishlists all the time and I buy a lot more models. I want as many releases from NG as I can get especially if it means replacing releases from other inferior brands like Phoenix.

I get multiple NG models every month and of the around 30 models from them I have acquired this calendar year 1 has haid loose parts.
I do see your point, and it does make a lot of sense. What doesn't help is when some people (and I'll admit, I'm guilty of it too) point out the loose parts, etc, it does tend to make you think that it's a widespread problem. Out of all of my NG's, I've only had 4 with any issues, which is not bad at all. By comparison, out of my 99 Aeroclassics, I've only had one that arrived with detached pieces...and Gemini, only 5 out of 266 with any issues. So yes, every manufacturer has issues, but when you look at the big picture, it's not the widespread disaster that we sometimes make it out to be.

While I agree that it is hard to prove it isn't impossible and I would argue people make assumptions with logic - if that were true we wouldn't see so many ludicrous occurences in this world. Back on topic an example that can be proved was the Gemini Delta CRJ with the gears attached backwards which was clearly an issue with the majority, if not the entirety, of the release because there were so many images of the model posted by different people. I didn't see people suggesting GJ should make less models to get their quality back on track and rightly so because the two are not related.

I have not seen enough images of broken NG models to suggest there is any kind of systematic problem. People who expect all their models to come in one piece are the in the wrong hobby. What irks me is that for some reason NG are held to a standard nobody else is, which is nonsense.

Also the suggestion NG's quality was better in the past when they made less also holds little water from me. It should only be expected that when you make more there will be more issues but the only important thing is whether as a % of releases there are more issues and I have seen effectively no evidence that is the case. Also people that say NG's quality was better in 2018 or 2019 probably own 1 or 2 models from that time so don't know what they are on about.

This thread is based on an image of a single model and a lot of conjecture - nothing else.
Great assessment, Richard. While it is frustrating that we continue to receive broken models from them, the fix is yet to be found. Hopeful that they can work on it somehow in the future.

I do see your point, and it does make a lot of sense. What doesn't help is when some people (and I'll admit, I'm guilty of it too) point out the loose parts, etc, it does tend to make you think that it's a widespread problem. Out of all of my NG's, I've only had 4 with any issues, which is not bad at all. By comparison, out of my 99 Aeroclassics, I've only had one that arrived with detached pieces...and Gemini, only 5 out of 266 with any issues. So yes, every manufacturer has issues, but when you look at the big picture, it's not the widespread disaster that we sometimes make it out to be.

Yeah I'm not saying there isn't an issue - there may well be. I'm just saying that a single model doesn't tell us anything and we shouldn't read anything into it. Interestingly this year I have had more broken Aeroclassics than NGs and historically certainly a lot more Gemini and Phoenix per % of models collected. I admit that does tend to colour my view but it doesn't really mean anything as the sample size is small even with the number of models I buy.

I certainly don't think it is related to the number of models made - that is just nonsense from other brands wilting under the competition.

Great assessment, Richard. While it is frustrating that we continue to receive broken models from them, the fix is yet to be found. Hopeful that they can work on it somehow in the future.

I'm sure they'll try but fundamentally there probably isn't anything much to answer. The level of QC required for no models with loose parts (and its important to point out that is the only issue NG may have unlike poor model finishing and pointy over polished noses we've seen from Gemini, Aeroclassics and Aviation400 this year) is too high. It requires a cost increase for every model to be checked to this standard and a special postage mechanism that nobody wouuld pay.

The reason NG have been held to a certain standard is because of their USP, which was set from the early days of 2018-2019 when they began delivering accurate moulds with very high attention to detail and accuracy, along with an active engagement during the proofing process with the collectorate, which was something new. It was a big deal. This was the formative period of their existence and that set the tone and expectation; this was the 'buy-in' and the L-1011 mould was the cherry on the cake for many of us, a much-wanted 'grail and the first time that it was delivered as a definitive subject in 1:400. I remember this early period vividly, and NG's USP was a very clever one with good use of PR.

This, then, resulted in the 'high pedestal' status, in turn creating an unrealistic expectation of perfection at every level, so resulting in a highly critical response when things have gone wrong here and there; not just with loose parts but with details on wheel hubs and the accuracy of artwork etc. So yes, I guess in that regard it's not been fair and it's a bit of a pandora's box when offering such a USP in 1:400 - a catch 22.

Case in point, look at all the detail differences NG have offered with the L-1011, right down to the engine variant. They know the devil is in the detail, which collectors want, so no wonder the level of scrutiny is higher. The devil really is in the detail!

In past debates on this subject I've always maintained that without meaningful statistics, there's nothing to prove, regardless on which side of the fence we might be standing regarding QC. Of all the NG models I have collected since 2018, I've only had 2 problem models - 1 having a loose stabiliser with stripped paint, resulting in a return/replacement. The figures have been equally low for Aeroclassics and others; so no when it really come down to it, I can't complain either.

A big positive for NG this year worth mentioning has been resolving the difficulties encountered with the electroplating process for their L-1011 series moulds, which was enough to halt the process for an extended period, due to a high failure rate %.

Great assessment @YesterAirlines. I agree with you about NG being held to a high standard that none of the other brands are. Hopefully all this talk will quiet down.