NG's Quality Control Issues

It seems like when an NG wing comes off it generally leaves little to no visible paint chips, and even if it does it isn't really noticeable when you reglue the part back on. Can't say for certain what makes this difference -- and although it's best not to have loose parts at all -- it is definitely better than having paint chips that are beyond simple repair.
Agreed, loose parts that are easily glued back together is one thing. Paint damage is a whole other animal.

It seems like when an NG wing comes off it generally leaves little to no visible paint chips, and even if it does it isn't really noticeable when you reglue the part back on. Can't say for certain what makes this difference -- and although it's best not to have loose parts at all -- it is definitely better than having paint chips that are beyond simple repair.
I wasn't so lucky with my NG SAA 747 SP - a detatched horizontal stabiliser did peel off a substantial amount of paint which was very noticeable! Could not repair that so back it went, was sent a replacement which was in perfect order. Loose parts without damaged paint are a very easy fix.

I wasn't so lucky with my NG SAA 747 SP - a detatched horizontal stabiliser did peel off a substantial amount of paint which was very noticeable! Could not repair that so back it went, was sent a replacement which was in perfect order. Loose parts without damaged paint are a very easy fix.
That's sad, at least you were able to get a good replacement.

That's sad, at least you were able to get a good replacement.
Yeah I hate to see a model go to waste like that - if it doesn't end up in a 'scratch and dent' pile it'll somehow get recycled otherwise I'm sure. Very glad to have gotten it replaced, which was fortunate as a replacement is not always possible - thank god it didn't happen with the Delta L-1011's as those completely sold out pretty much instantly and there were no restocks

Yeah I hate to see a model go to waste like that - if it doesn't end up in a 'scratch and dent' pile it'll somehow get recycled otherwise I'm sure. Very glad to have gotten it replaced, which was fortunate as a replacement is not always possible - thank god it didn't happen with the Delta L-1011's as those completely sold out pretty much instantly and there were no restocks
True, the dealer I pre ordered from sold out before they even came in.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's different with the paint as GJ wings can take off paint with them. Glad the NG is an easy fix.

There's a printing error on my KAL 747SP; the colors on the "pepsi" logo are upside down. Other than that, my experience with NG's QC has been no better or worse than other brands. 20221003_010054.jpg

I discovered that another collector on a FB discussion group shared a pic of his NG Qantas 747-SP, which has the exact same issue mine had. The stabiliser on the very same side as my SAA example had come off, stripping away the paint.

This is certainly due to glue failure (which NG have already confirmed), hopefully it has been contained within a relatively small batch and will be resolved.

Attachments

• 94D817AA-ED41-46D5-86D6-35ABAEBDE9A0.png
    94D817AA-ED41-46D5-86D6-35ABAEBDE9A0.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 126E68A1-F6D0-4B6B-AFB2-FF228068F4C7.jpeg
    126E68A1-F6D0-4B6B-AFB2-FF228068F4C7.jpeg
    683.9 KB · Views: 11
I discovered that another collector on a FB discussion group shared a pic of his NG Qantas 747-SP, which has the exact same issue mine had. The stabiliser on the very same side as my SAA example had come off, stripping away the paint.

This is certainly due to glue failure (which NG have already confirmed), hopefully it has been contained within a relatively small batch and will be resolved.
Funny enough one of those that we had in-stock earlier this year also had the exact same issue. Stabilizer was an easy repair but the paint was unrepairable.

Attachments

• IMG_5713.jpg
    IMG_5713.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5712.jpg
    IMG_5712.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 4
Funny enough one of those that we had in-stock earlier this year also had the exact same issue. Stabilizer was an easy repair but the paint was unrepairable.
Blimey, and again on the very same side. Oddly enough, the retailer I purchased mine from, who went above and beyond in getting me a replacement (Bedfordshire Diecast) were very keen to stress that it was not a QC problem - I let them know that NG had in fact confirmed that it was!

Agreed. Some others can't do that unfortunately.
I think the logistics are very complicated especially in the current climate. Manufacturers are entirely at the mercy of the quality of the skilled workers they have available to them on the factory floor at their facilities - domestic Chinese brands such as NG and the like are at a significant advantage in many ways especially with regular direct supervision, for which companies based externally in the USA etc., has been negatively impacted by Covid with access to their factory sites being significantly restricted. A bit of a 'while the master's away' situation :oops:

I think the logistics are very complicated especially in the current climate. Manufacturers are entirely at the mercy of the quality of the skilled workers they have available to them on the factory floor at their facilities - domestic Chinese brands such as NG and the like are at a significant advantage in many ways especially with regular direct supervision, for which companies based externally in the USA etc., has been negatively impacted by Covid with access to their factory sites being significantly restricted. A bit of a 'while the master's away' situation :oops:
This is exactly right. I wonder what the new happy medium will be post-covid-19.

This is exactly right. I wonder what the new happy medium will be post-covid-19.
I do as well - it will be very interesting to see how this all settles post-Covid and what the new norms will be. It has been an extremely difficult time, I can only imagine how tough it must be running a manufacturing business overseas. I'm sure that if they had the choice, and the economies of it stacked up, they'd bring manufacturing back home again.