NG: Official United* Models

pons399

From NG's Wechat: "Starting in 2024, we will cooperate with United Airlines to issue aircraft model products. The first cooperative product is expected to be available to everyone during the Spring Festival, so stay tuned!"

*This could be referring to China United as well, NG haven't clarified yet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231229_180336_WeChat.jpg
    Screenshot_20231229_180336_WeChat.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Great! I have always thought that licensing, or any form of official partnership with airlines and aircraft manufacturers - whenever possible - is the way to go! Of course, I have to buy unlicensed models, otherwise I would have no 1:400 collection, but when it comes down to all other things being equal, I would go for the licensed/official model.

At any rate, NG does offer a superb product worthy of earning a place in the ranks of airline official products. I'd also love to see GJ getting some competition in that arena.

It would be a dream to see United bring back models for in-flight sales. I'd be broke in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Gemini is NOT going to be happy about this... Someone with a superior product signing a deal with one of their buddy airlines? Nuh-uh! I can already tell 2024 is gonna be good for the popcorn!

On a more serious note, this is great news for us collectors! My fingers are crossed for some 787-9 rereleases, and many excellent 747s!

Is it united or China united, I feel like it could be China united because if it's united then in Chinese it should say 美联航 instead of 联航

I'd really love to see the City livery series being made, those are the most beautiful liveries out there

either way it's good news.

Last edited:
Is it united or China united, I feel like it could be China united because if it's united then in Chinese it should say 美联航 instead of 联航

I'd really love to say the City livery series being made, those are the most beautiful liveries out there

LOL... nevermind then...

I'd really love to see the City livery series being made, those are the most beautiful liveries out there

Ohhh... that's certainly a possibility.

Oh no! Please not China United. Who wants a Chinese fake United Airlines???

Please make the United Airlines 757-300, 767-300ER and 747-400 in the Continental merger livery.

Whether the models are licensed or not makes zero difference to collectors since the quality is not related to it. If it was Gemini would be the best in the business. All it usually does is drive up the model cost like with TAP models.

Personally at this point I'd rather have China United Airlines than United anyway ;) . I've got a couple of weak CUA 737s from Phoenix I'd like to replace and they have some excellent special schemes too.

This crossed my mind too, although admittedly, I expressed joy assuming it's the American United.
I mean, why would they license for an unknown local airline, right? Wrong, actually.

China is the world's largest aviation market.
Numerous regional, national airlines - and flying is integral to the population, in addition to the world's largest HST network, and the best highways in the world (admittedly, yes)

NG would rather secure local licenses as that's their largest market as well, and of immediate benefit.
If it was the American United, then they'd have made this big announcement to western / international markets

Last edited:
Some nice special schemes - much better than Unicon ;)
Yep they do, in fact most Chinese airlines have the best special schemes - and even the best regular schemes - Loong / CZ / Shenzhen / Juneyao / Shanghai / Capital
If this is true - am hoping for more - although licensing and China would mean making these 'official' for sale within airline company premises.

Won't be surprised if these are for inflight sales primarily considering how CUA has like this boisterous branding strategy - and it aligns with NG's vigorous expansion strategy.

Rarely have I seen (contemporary) special schemes from Europe / Americas match that - the recent Luxair 60th is a lovely exception frankly, and it's only in Latin America that one sees colour and vivacity - the recent Copa Panama special scheme is a stunner - surprised these 2 haven't yet been announced by NG

Nonetheless, will be happy even if it is the American United - which seems doubtful now, but their last good-great livery was the Rising Blue / Blue Tulip - and a lot of it has been made already (without licensing) - so of no commercial benefit, besides, I doubt American companies will associate openly with a Chinese firm, even though institutionalised hypocrisy means that they wouldn't mind associating with GJ - which imo is just a pretend US company

Last edited:
I hope NG clarifies whether it’s United Airlines or China United that they’re getting the license for.
Well the message is in Chinese on WeChat and talks about being available in the Spring festival. I'd wager $$ it is CUA not the American copycat :D

Whether the models are licensed or not makes zero difference to collectors since the quality is not related to it
Cannot agree on this.
Take a closer look and you should see which make is licensed and which is not. Or I better say: which maker makes use of the benefits of licensing. That is getting access to corporate colors, templates, guidelines..
Compare GJ vs. NG artwork for example. NG's titles and fonts often are off to some extend while GJ nails these on the same subjects.
Compare United (Saul Bass) titles between GJ and NG. NG's are a mile off compared to GJ. Same for Lufthansa.
Seriousely, NG performes almost as bad as AC in this regard.
Ask me for my corporate color/logo/title reference brand and the answer is GJ because they apparently get something in return for their dollars.
Though I understand that barely anyone cares for these little details or even recognices them. The difference is there pro GJ or Herpa, but I wonder if the money spent on licenses isn't missing in other fields like mould engineering.

I'm curious to see how NG do their version of D-ABYT. GJ very nicely did theirs and I "blame" this on info they received from LH as you hardly see it in pictures. I have the feeling NG will screw the titles as well as light grey vs. silver mica.

in fact most Chinese airlines have the best special schemes - and even the best regular schemes - Loong / CZ / Shenzhen / Juneyao / Shanghai / Capital
Yeah Chinese special schemes are great. It's one of the reasons I collecty Chinese airlines
though dont collect narrow bodies, but talking about special livery, the chinese carriers are either hit or miss.
CUA here obviously has a better taste on the design, the same can be said to Juneyao Air, Xiamen Air, Air China etc.
1703911714080.png

but at the same time, I also do see some hedious ones that are barely tolerable, and most of them are associated with brands' promo livery, which i guess thats why they just dont care the design and anyhow put the logo on the jets.
1703912278424.png

but at the same time, I also do see some hedious ones that are barely tolerable, and most of them are associated with brands' promo livery, which i guess thats why they just dont care the design and anyhow put the logo on the jets.
View attachment 25913
True, there are many schemes that don't work - as you rightly point out - it's when these are essentially corporate advertising billboards.

There are of course remarkable exceptions - like the recent Wuliangye A321 or the Changhong A330 - both Sichuan Airlines - also the Regional / Industry or Trade Promotion special liveries - like the China Southern Guizhou, Hainan, Zhuhai, and of course those spectacular Sichuan Panda Routes - I'm assuming if it's state / government / heritage - they're more conscious of the design - like that quirky but minimal CA Jin Li scheme - just can't get over at how awesome it is in detail and conception.

Last edited: