NG Models Classics Production

YesterAirlines

Part 3 of my analysis of NG Models production focuses on the classics. First and foremost I am a classics collector and at first it did seem that NG was a company that shared that passion. They have made, and continue to make, some amazing classic releases but clearly it is not an area that they are focusing on, as the numbers here show:

NG_classics.png

I think what we need is another manufacturer like Witty Wings or Aviation400 (2008-2012) they had one of the best release variety. + Decent Quality (All though probably not better then NG is today) But with the current climate of 1/400, This would be unlikely.

Two words. Not Enough!

There is clearly a market for classics, and Aeroclassics, with their subpar moulds and awful QC is not filling it. When or even if NG will realise this we can only guess.

I think what we need is another manufacturer like Witty Wings or Aviation400 (2008-2012) they had one of the best release variety. + Decent Quality (All though probably not better then NG is today) But with the current climate of 1/400, This would be unlikely.

Agreed.
I like how Av400 released a series of nice L-1011s and 707s. Here are a few releases:

L-1011:
Air Atlanta Icelandic
Air Ops
Tradewinds
Royal
Aer Lingus + Caledonian hybrid

707:
Air Hong Kong
Anglo Cargo
TAROM
Ladeco
Aerosur
Challenge Cargo

These are all quite obscure and Aeroclassic-ish releases, and all on great mould.
NG could put Buchannan to follow this path and also release this kind of stuff. While some hybrids and wet-leases are definitely cool (Iberia L-1011 was a great release!!!), some others are really too niche and almost nobody really care.

I fully agree with @pons399 statement: "Buchannan could've worked as a NG sub-brand dedicated to classics, it's a shame they're only making obscure hybrids nobody really cares about."

I can only hope that Buchannan (and NG) will have a wake-up call and start releasing some good stuff.

Buchannan could've worked as a NG sub-brand dedicated to classics, it's a shame they're only making obscure hybrids nobody really cares about.
I think it could still work if they made more desired models. Making Buchannan a sub-brand for classics under NG would also free up some more room in the regular release sets, which could improve their variety.

Agreed.
I like how Av400 released a series of nice L-1011s and 707s. Here are a few releases:

L-1011:
Air Atlanta Icelandic
Air Ops
Tradewinds
Royal
Aer Lingus + Caledonian hybrid

707:
Air Hong Kong
Anglo Cargo
TAROM
Ladeco
Aerosur
Challenge Cargo

These are all quite obscure and Aeroclassic-ish releases, and all on great mould.
NG could put Buchannan to follow this path and also release this kind of stuff. While some hybrids and wet-leases are definitely cool (Iberia L-1011 was a great release!!!), some others are really too niche and almost nobody really care.

I fully agree with @pons399 statement: "Buchannan could've worked as a NG sub-brand dedicated to classics, it's a shame they're only making obscure hybrids nobody really cares about."

I can only hope that Buchannan (and NG) will have a wake-up call and start releasing some good stuff.
Where’s the 707 mold today? That looks pretty good. Is AC using it?

I think it could still work if they made more desired models. Making Buchannan a sub-brand for classics under NG would also free up some more room in the regular release sets, which could improve their variety.
Buchanan’s would still come out of the same pipeline. NG looks like is having problems unceasing production capacity a là Airbus A320 lines. NG can’t deliver those A318s (and others) they promised 4 months ago.

No. It's owned by JC Wings
Apart from that Shanghai Airlines 707 JC made, did they ever make any more or ever show plans for using it again? It doesn't make sense to me that they'd sit on that mould for so long, when there are clear sellers like Pan Am or even CAAC that JC could be making with that mould

Honestly i don't collect the classics, and i see more people focused on the airlines of today... IG it's full of people that are creating diorama of airport with current airlines....

rarely i see people focused on the classics...
I think that you deserve better mould than the ac but.... The market ask more the current airlines.

Maybe we need more LATAM versions... (Also if I'm not collecting but i think that there are also in SA the collectors)

Honestly i don't collect the classics, and i see more people focused on the airlines of today... IG it's full of people that are creating diorama of airport with current airlines....

I think that you deserve better mould than the ac but.... The market ask more the current airlines.
I would say that people stay away from classics simply because a lot of the good classics tend to be really hard to find. I personally have been trying to create a diorama of Karachi Jinnah in the 80's, but finding the aircraft that flew there during that timeframe is rather annoying. Good luck finding any non 747SP Pan Am or anything BOAC, since someone seems to care more about aftermarket value for those models(This still doesn't make sense to me so if someone could explain it I'd be quite happy to know).

I do agree that the market wants more current models. More collectors tend to be younger and most younger people don't have that same connection with airlines like BOAC, LTU or National Airlines. They never flew them or hell, ever seen them fly so what does it matter to them? They'd rather see things that they've seen fly.

It's still a shame that don't see as many classics as we should, there's a lot of ground that can be covered with classics. I know damn well if I saw an A300, DC-10 or a 707 made with 2023 standards, I would grab them up quickly, and so would others. You could see this with the NG L-1011 mould, I remember seeing someone grab one of those Alia L-1011's, simply because they heard the mould was good. Although you could argue this is an incredibly optimistic argument, just having a good mould could be enough to spark interest towards classic aircraft with a younger audience. They just simply have to be made.

Although you could argue this is an incredibly optimistic argument, just having a good mould could be enough to spark interest towards classic aircraft with a younger audience. They just simply have to be made.
Or maybe the young person has good taste! But Tropicalista's point is something I heavily disagree with. I personally prefer more classics but I don't go onto social media and rant about it as I tend to avoid the popular social media apps. Maybe we could get a few European narrow bodies or some forgotten airlines further east or south though. And obviously more Kai Tak lettuce sandwiches and 1970s-1990s US narrowbodies!!!!!

Maybe we need more LATAM versions... (Also if I'm not collecting but i think that there are also in SA the collectors)
To add to this point, Asian classics are barely popular among Chinese collectors (where most brands are based off), let alone classics from the west. So although I agree with many people that the current state of classic moulds need a refresh, I unfortunately don't see that happening in the foreseeable future as the demand for modern airliners in the market heavily outweighs that for the classics.

To add to this point, Asian classics are barely popular among Chinese collectors (where most brands are based off), let alone classics from the west. So although I agree with many people that the current state of classic moulds need a refresh, I unfortunately don't see that happening in the foreseeable future as the demand for modern airliners in the market heavily outweighs that for the classics.
I honestly think a lot of folks overrate the size of the Asian market. Unlike the West, aviation culture is almost nonexistent here, and related conventions/gatherings aren't a thing at all. Most diecast aircraft releases concern major Western airlines and cater to Western collectors, because that's where the demand comes from. High demand for modern stuff comes primarily from the West, and that isn't a surprise considering the popularity of modern US majors + Southwest models even among hardcore collectors.

Last edited:
If I hit the lottery, we will have a manufacturer dedicated to classics. I already have a name and a product line all figured out. I just need the ability to make it...

I honestly think a lot of folks overrate the size of the Asian market. Unlike the West, aviation culture is almost nonexistent here, and related conventions/gatherings aren't a thing at all. Most diecast aircraft releases concern major Western airlines and cater to Western collectors, because that's where the demand comes from. High demand for modern stuff comes primarily from the West, and that isn't a surprise considering the popularity of modern US majors + Southwest models even among hardcore collectors.
"Aviation culture" encompasses a wide range of things, I would not comment on the entirety of it but in terms of plane-spotting and model-collecting in particular where I have experience in.

Unlike the West, aviation culture is almost nonexistent here, and related conventions/gatherings aren't a thing at all.
This is not the case for sure. Gatherings happen day in and day out, conferences such as G20 where lots of VIPs fly in can easily draw 200+ spotters all together at once, let alone large airshows like Zhuhai Airshow where hundreds of thousands attend. Sure there might not be a convention like the one that just happened in Dallas, but it's coming. In terms of plane spotting particularly, the size of the hobby has most likely surpassed that in the US, and most of these spotters collect models. In terms of culture, I personally think nowhere comes as remotely close as that of Japan.

Just to be sure, I only try to provide a hypothesis as to why classics aren't being made/produced at a rate some people here like to see (which could be wrong) and have no intention whatsoever to start a debate or anything.

Last edited:
"Aviation culture" encompasses a wide range of things, I would not comment on the entirety of it but in terms of plane-spotting and model-collecting in particular where I have experience in.

This is not the case for sure. Gatherings happen day in and day out, conferences such as G20 where lots of VIPs fly in can easily draw 200+ spotters all together at once, let alone large airshows like Zhuhai Airshow where hundreds of thousands attend. Sure there might not be a convention like the one that just happened in Dallas, but it's coming. In terms of plane spotting particularly, the size of the hobby has most likely surpassed that in the US, and most of these spotters collect models. In terms of culture, I personally think nowhere comes as remotely close as that of Japan.

Just to be sure, I only try to provide a hypothesis as to why classics aren't being made/produced at a rate some people here like to see and have no intention whatsoever to start a debate or anything.
Fair enough, starting a debate was not my intention either.