NG Models Production 2023 To Date - An Analysis

I'm enjoying this series. I love these massive release sets and think they are great for diversity if utilised correctly. That, unfortunately, is where NG have been failing. Obviously everyone has their own opinion, but I believe NG has massively misread the market.

Sorry, if the next section offends anyone, but it is my opinion and that means you don't have to agree with it. Gemini already covers the US. We do not need more modern US aircraft. I understand this is affected by my geographical location, but whenever I visit my local store, they still have US releases from 2018. Most of the time, those are narrowbodies from Southwest, United or the like. Yes, I understand that people want Southwest models, but there have been so many releases across all manufacturers that they are a dime a dozen. The same goes for Qatar. I like Qatar as an airline - Their livery is attractive, their fleet is diverse, and before October last year, high-quality Qatar models were relatively hard to come by. Once NG joined the fray, they pumped out more Qatar models in the past year than models from the entire continent of Africa since 2018!

I'm also part of the problem. As I said, everyone has their own bias and opinion, and I am someone who regularly contacts NG with suggestions. I think I speak for most of us when I say that NG makes the highest quality models. And I want them to continue doing so. I can deal with delays, but repetition is what drives me crazy. Obviously, making multiple models with just a minor livery change is a huge cost-saver, and I am fine with that, but releasing them all in one go, like the recent Icelandair MAX9s, is too much. I'm glad (And my wallet is too) that the Jetstar A320s have been spread out over 4 months!

I'm enjoying this series. I love these massive release sets and think they are great for diversity if utilised correctly. That, unfortunately, is where NG have been failing. Obviously everyone has their own opinion, but I believe NG has massively misread the market.

Sorry, if the next section offends anyone, but it is my opinion and that means you don't have to agree with it. Gemini already covers the US. We do not need more modern US aircraft. I understand this is affected by my geographical location, but whenever I visit my local store, they still have US releases from 2018. Most of the time, those are narrowbodies from Southwest, United or the like. Yes, I understand that people want Southwest models, but there have been so many releases across all manufacturers that they are a dime a dozen. The same goes for Qatar. I like Qatar as an airline - Their livery is attractive, their fleet is diverse, and before October last year, high-quality Qatar models were relatively hard to come by. Once NG joined the fray, they pumped out more Qatar models in the past year than models from the entire continent of Africa since 2018!

I'm also part of the problem. As I said, everyone has their own bias and opinion, and I am someone who regularly contacts NG with suggestions. I think I speak for most of us when I say that NG makes the highest quality models. And I want them to continue doing so. I can deal with delays, but repetition is what drives me crazy. Obviously, making multiple models with just a minor livery change is a huge cost-saver, and I am fine with that, but releasing them all in one go, like the recent Icelandair MAX9s, is too much. I'm glad (And my wallet is too) that the Jetstar A320s have been spread out over 4 months!
To me I personally want more classics from them. They have very good moulds like the TU154 and the L1011 but they aren't getting the best usage compared to the other stuff.

To me I personally want more classics from them. They have very good moulds like the TU154 and the L1011 but they aren't getting the best usage compared to the other stuff.
Yes, because classics is not where the money is.
With Aeroclassics' depressingly low quality in recent years you'd think (hope) there would be some else jumping in. But apparently the sales of a good 1960/70s jetliner still don't yield the revenue of just another modern Qatar, Southwest...

Yep, if there's any segment covered exceedingly well by every manufacturer, it's modern US/UK stuff. Although the US big 3 and BA are popular, there are plenty of other major carriers that deserve more attention from NG. Obviously I'm biased, but zero modern Cathays and not a single Singapore since 2020 are quite frustrating.

Diversity isn't a complex fix either, there's so much unnecessary "dead weight" in NG's release sets. NG could stop releasing multiple US big 3, BA, Qatar and PRC big 3 stuff every single month. No airline should be represented twice per set. Dedicate the freed-up slots to underrepresented major carriers and in-demand classics.

Once again, an excellent write-up! Although we've seen quite a few new carriers this year, NG's release sets are honestly becoming fairly predictable. Hopefully this changes soon.

What's interesting about the legal letters that Delta sent NG is that NG is still releasing a 1:200 scale Delta Connection CRJ-200 in the 2002 Olympics Soaring Spirit livery (this is for the May release set), so I wonder if there are any restrictions on producing Delta models to begin with (or if they only apply to 1:400 scale)?
52063.jpg

I did request some 1:400 Delta aircraft to NG back in March and they said that they would make most of them (who knows when though), so I wonder when Delta sent this legal letter.

Last edited:
Once again, an excellent write-up! Although we've seen quite a few new carriers this year, NG's release sets are honestly becoming fairly predictable. Hopefully this changes soon.

What's interesting about the legal letters that Delta sent NG is that NG is still releasing a 1:200 scale Delta Connection CRJ-200 in the 2002 Olympics Soaring Spirit livery (this is for the May release set), so I wonder if there are any restrictions on producing Delta models to begin with (or if they only apply to 1:400 scale)?
52063.jpg

I did request some 1:400 Delta aircraft to NG back in March and they said that they would make most of them (who knows when though), so I wonder when Delta sent this legal letter.
It might be likely that NG is just ignoring the letter, or they struck a deal with Delta for licensing. I can’t speak for them on that but I think it’s either or.

52063.jpg

Yeah I'm probably wrong. NG just don't fancy DL this year. The letter is quite old - dated March 2021 so probably irrelevent.

Remember though @Bulgogi77 nothing NG say about making model requests means anything!

52063.jpg

Maybe they don't care as long as the livery doesn't explicitly scream "Delta." That special livery looks nothing like Delta's normal colors.

I'd definitely agree there, America is massively covered by Gemini and it's very well covered, pretty much every modern livery from the past 10 years has been done twice over. It's about time other regions got better coverage.

Yep, if there's any segment covered exceedingly well by every manufacturer, it's modern US/UK stuff. Although the US big 3 and BA are popular, there are plenty of other major carriers that deserve more attention from NG. Obviously I'm biased, but zero modern Cathays and not a single Singapore since 2020 are quite frustrating.

Diversity isn't a complex fix either, there's so much unnecessary "dead weight" in NG's release sets. NG could stop releasing multiple US big 3, BA, Qatar and PRC big 3 stuff every single month. No airline should be represented twice per set. Dedicate the freed-up slots to underrepresented major carriers and in-demand classics.
I'd agree on long haul UK aircraft but short haul hasn't been that well covered. I'd say Europe gets the odd release but alot of airlines haven't been that well covered.

African airlines such as Tunis Air, Royal Air Maroc, Air Algerie, Royal Jordanian and MEA have had little or no release in the history of the scale so if any airlines deserve a release, it's them!