New Database Website

jaymaddog

Hello All,

Call me crazy if you want, but I am developing a new database website for all model aircraft - dubbed none other than Model Aircraft Database, or MADb for short.

The mission is simple: Create a modern, community driven service to find and track model aircraft.

Current features:
  • A majority of models from GeminiJets, Inflight200, Hogan Wings, Herpa, JC Wings, NG Models, and SkyMarks
  • Search/filter/sort using multiple parameters
  • List of latest releases
  • Collection tracking system (registered users only)
  • Data correction system (registered users only)
Ideas/Features coming soon:
  • Personalized collection pages
  • Photo upload
  • Featured collections
  • Trade availability notifications
  • More brands
No plans to implement:
  • Forum (this forum is clearly already a great place for conversation; no need to compete)
  • Store (this is important: I have no affiliation with any retailer or reseller)

The website is now available to the public, but certain features are limited to registered users, which is currently on an invite-only basis. For the initial invitees, I am looking for collectors that have been in the community for a decent amount of time. There is no strict limit, but I believe those that have dedicated a good portion of their own time to the hobby will be most helpful in directing MADb's future. If you are interested in becoming a test user, please DM me your email, with a brief description of yourself (how long you've been collecting, what types of models do you collect, or whatever you think is most important) and/or why you think you'd be a good test user. I am especially looking for those that want to provide constructive feedback.

After some basic testing, I will also be seeking moderators. The current dataset is incomplete. To help clean it up, I will need the help of those with great knowledge in specific areas. After we get that sorted, the database will still need to be highly dependent on user collaboration to keep it up to date. Any user will be able to submit data correction, but moderation will be required. If you are interested in being a moderator in the future, also feel free to send me a DM with a brief description of your knowledge base.

If you become a registered user on MADb, I encourage you to use the feedback button on the website. If you are not yet a registered user, I welcome any comments/feedback/questions here. Like I said, call me crazy if you want. Just be nice about it. :)

The website is easy to remember: www.modelaircraftdatabase.com

Cheers!
Jay

P.S. A bit about me, since I just realized that I must look like a random passer-byer: I have spent the past 18 years in aviation, both professionally and privately. I have had many job titles over the years and worked in many different departments. I started collecting models about 6 years ago, to build a showcase of my work thus far. All of the models in my collection represent the various aircraft that I have had the privilege of working in, on and around. I've poked around in the forums from time to time, but I have not been much of a conversationalist online. I prefer to spend my spare time building things, like MADb. But I'm always up for talking airplanes in person. And I'd much rather be flying!

Hello All,

Call me crazy if you want, but I am developing a new database website for all model aircraft - dubbed none other than Model Aircraft Database, or MADb for short.

The mission is simple: Create a modern, community driven service to find and track model aircraft.

Current features:
  • A majority of models from GeminiJets, Inflight200, Hogan Wings, Herpa, JC Wings, NG Models, and SkyMarks
  • Photo upload
  • Featured collections
  • More brands
No plans to implement:
  • Forum (this forum is clearly already a great place for conversation; no need to compete)
  • Store (this is important: I have no affiliation with any retailer or reseller)

The website is now available to the public, but certain features are limited to registered users, which is currently on an invite-only basis. For the initial invitees, I am looking for collectors that have been in the community for a decent amount of time. There is no strict limit, but I believe those that have dedicated a good portion of their own time to the hobby will be most helpful in directing MADb's future. If you are interested in becoming a test user, please DM me your email, with a brief description of yourself (how long you've been collecting, what types of models do you collect, or whatever you think is most important) and/or why you think you'd be a good test user. I am especially looking for those that want to provide constructive feedback.

After some basic testing, I will also be seeking moderators. The current dataset is incomplete. To help clean it up, I will need the help of those with great knowledge in specific areas. After we get that sorted, the database will still need to be highly dependent on user collaboration to keep it up to date. Any user will be able to submit data correction, but moderation will be required. If you are interested in being a moderator in the future, also feel free to send me a DM with a brief description of your knowledge base.

If you become a registered user on MADb, I encourage you to use the feedback button on the website. If you are not yet a registered user, I welcome any comments/feedback/questions here. Like I said, call me crazy if you want. Just be nice about it. :)

Cheers!
Jay

P.S. A bit about me, since I just realized that I must look like a random passer-byer: I have spent the past 18 years in aviation, both professionally and privately. I have had many job titles over the years and worked in many different departments. I started collecting models about 6 years ago, to build a showcase of my work thus far. All of the models in my collection represent the various aircraft that I have had the privilege of working in, on and around. I've poked around in the forums from time to time, but I have not been much of a conversationalist online. I prefer to spend my spare time building things, like MADb. But I'm always up for talking airplanes in person. And I'd much rather be flying!
would be happy to contribuite to the 1:600 part of the database since i have a few

Loving the database so far! IMO these databases work way better when the release months are included when available. I look forward to joining the forum when it’s all opened up!
Many models do have release months, but some are missing. Crowd-sourcing will be key to getting a complete dataset.

And I have no plans to add a forum to MADb, if that's what you meant. From what I can tell, MAF is doing a great job at that.

This is awesome! Love to have a release month added when you’re like me and love to log the models I have in my collection! Plus yours is so much more updated and easier to use on mobile too! Thanks and would be happy to share anything if I come across it!

Very very nice, a new database website was long overdue. Would it be possible to make a way to import/export collection data as a spreadsheet? There are many collectors, myself included, who have their existing collections stored in an Excel doc, and it would be great to have a convenient way to transfer them over.

Very very nice, a new database website was long overdue. Would it be possible to make a way to import/export collection data as a spreadsheet? There are many collectors, myself included, who have their existing collections stored in an Excel doc, and it would be great to have a convenient way to transfer them over.
Yes, that's on my todo list. Yesterday, actually, I attempted to add a feature that would allow import from... that other database website. But, unfortunately, it's so poorly coded that the pages are not parse-able without a significant amount of extra work. So I tabled the idea for now. Exporting to Excel/CSV will be easy. Importing from a spreadsheet will not be so easy, seeing there are so many ways some people may organize their own data. But I'm up for the challenge.

Hello All,

Current features:
  • Photo upload
  • Featured collections
  • More brands
No plans to implement:

Cheers!
Jay

I would like to become a registered user. I've been collecting for 25 years!

Will there be any quality reviews?

Also it would be nice to have an organized way to track what models haven't been made yet but are wanted by the community, so we can see where the demand is and have concrete data to present to the manufacturers. Both requests for new molds and new paint schemes.

I would like to know who else besides me wants to see a DC-9-10 in 1:400 (the old AC screw belly is atrocious), and 727s and other classics redone to current design standards.

Thank you everyone for the early encouragement!
Yesterday, actually, I attempted to add a feature that would allow import from... that other database website. But, unfortunately, it's so poorly coded that the pages are not parse-able without a significant amount of extra work. So I tabled the idea for now.
I re-visited this problem and came up with a solution. Import from the other database is now possible.

I would like to become a registered user. I've been collecting for 25 years!
Send me a PM with your email. Or send an email to [email protected]

Will there be any quality reviews?
I'll put it in the idea hat. But it won't be a priority. Main goal right now is we need to beef up and clean up the data.

Also it would be nice to have an organized way to track what models haven't been made yet but are wanted by the community, so we can see where the demand is and have concrete data to present to the manufacturers. Both requests for new molds and new paint schemes.
Another great idea!

Its looking very good! Its a much better database than DIMA. I love how easy it is to navigate and find models on it.

Also, if you need, I can provide photos for a JC Wings ANA Fokker 50 (Air Central, JA8200, regular livery and no sticker by nose) as good photos of it are sometimes a bit hard to find online :)

I really appreciate the effort Jay has been putting into this db for the past few months and structurally it is excellent.

I echo his sentiments around data quality though. Personally I wouldn't be expanding the functionality I'd be focusing on the content. A db without quality data is worthless. At present for 400 scale for example MaDB has 3,866 records in it compared to 18,571 records in DiMA.

Photos are also the other big issue as without them model identification is difficult. The standard Gemini photos are also problematic. They show you what was made but don't really give you an idea of its quality and that is one of the main reasons I use DiMA - to look at the model made. One of DiMA's strengths is that every model has 3 photos taken at the same angles, which is excellent for comparisons.

Agree, adding pictures and brands like Aeroclassics, Dragonwings and AV400 should be priority number 1, otherwise it's kinda pointless to keep track of your collection when you can only find half of your models.

I echo his sentiments around data quality though. Personally I wouldn't be expanding the functionality I'd be focusing on the content. A db without quality data is worthless. At present for 400 scale for example MaDB has 3,866 records in it compared to 18,571 records in DiMA.
For now, any functionality that isn't related to the data itself is not on the priority list.

It's all about finding a good balance between quantity and quality. Ideally, we want both to be 100%. But we'll need to sacrifice a little of one to make grounds on the other.

If anyone has any large lists of models that they'd like to share, please send me a message.

brands like Aeroclassics, Dragonwings and AV400 should be priority number 1
Agreed. Regrettably, I do not have any Aeroclassics, Dragonwings, or Phoenix models in my own collection, and I did not realize how popular they are. These will make a huge impact once they are added.

As for pictures... this will undoubtably be the hardest part. Obtaining similar looking photos for every (or even most) models is impossible (unless you have bought and sold every single one of them :censored:). I think they only long-term solution is user uploads, but that brings it's own challenges. So, I am open to suggestions.

For now, any functionality that isn't related to the data itself is not on the priority list.

It's all about finding a good balance between quantity and quality. Ideally, we want both to be 100%. But we'll need to sacrifice a little of one to make grounds on the other.

If anyone has any large lists of models that they'd like to share, please send me a message.

Agreed. Regrettably, I do not have any Aeroclassics, Dragonwings, or Phoenix models in my own collection, and I did not realize how popular they are. These will make a huge impact once they are added.

As for pictures... this will undoubtably be the hardest part. Obtaining similar looking photos for every (or even most) models is impossible (unless you have bought and sold every single one of them :censored:). I think they only long-term solution is user uploads, but that brings it's own challenges. So, I am open to suggestions.
Are there any retailers who would be willing to provide photos, possibly?

Good question. I'll do some research on that. However, most of them just use the manufacturer's images.
I have received permission from GeminiJets and Inflight to use their images, so that is why you see their photos already. But as Richard stated - they aren't the best.

People should be able to upload pictures themselves based on a few criteria to ensure acceptable quality, you as admin just have to approve them. Otherwise it will be very difficult to get pictures of Dragonwings and other brands that no longer exist.