IND retro airport project

Purpleplane

As some of you may have seen on other sites, I am currently working on a 1/400th scale model of the old IND airport terminal (circa 1974-2008)
My son did a tremendous amount of work on it, designing it to be 3D printed and also doing custom ground foils for the base board. it will occupy a space 6 ft X 6 ft when completed. I do have a few photos to share of the progress so far:
Completed ground foils:BASE 1.jpgBASE 2.jpg
Concourse A:New Concourse A 1.jpgNew Concourse A 2.jpgConciurse B:New Concourse B 1.jpgNew Concourse B 2.jpgConcourse C:New Concourse C 1.jpgNew Concourse C 2.jpg
And finally, concourse D:New Concourse D 1.jpg
There's still plenty of work yet to do...painting, decals, etc. At least I am able to display it as is for now.

Hoosiers represent! Loving the progress so far. Any plans on getting a backdrop of downtown Indy in the background to complete the look?

As some of you may have seen on other sites, I am currently working on a 1/400th scale model of the old IND airport terminal (circa 1974-2008)
My son did a tremendous amount of work on it, designing it to be 3D printed and also doing custom ground foils for the base board. it will occupy a space 6 ft X 6 ft when completed. I do have a few photos to share of the progress so far:
Completed ground foils:View attachment 674View attachment 675
Concourse A:View attachment 683View attachment 682Conciurse B:View attachment 684View attachment 689Concourse C:View attachment 691View attachment 695
And finally, concourse D:View attachment 696
There's still plenty of work yet to do...painting, decals, etc. At least I am able to display it as is for now.
looks great, love to see retro airports👍

Completed ground foils:View attachment 674View attachment 675
Concourse A:View attachment 683View attachment 682Conciurse B:View attachment 684View attachment 689Concourse C:View attachment 691View attachment 695
And finally, concourse D:View attachment 696
WOW! This model airport setup looks so good! How did you get the mat to be printed on separate peaces of paper? The terminal looks good as does your fleet. I really look forward to seeing more of these updates on your excellent airport!

WOW! This model airport setup looks so good! How did you get the mat to be printed on separate peaces of paper? The terminal looks good as does your fleet. I really look forward to seeing more of these updates on your excellent airport!
Thank you very much.
My son did the ground foils to be printed on 8 1/2 X 11 photo paper and made them to come out 8 in X 8 in after cutting them out. There are 81 sheets total. It was a daunting task to try to get them to line up correctly.

Thank you very much.
My son did the ground foils to be printed on 8 1/2 X 11 photo paper and made them to come out 8 in X 8 in after cutting them out. There are 81 sheets total. It was a daunting task to try to get them to line up correctly.
Yeah, I bet that was quiet a challenge. Did you design the full airport first and the split up the design to each paper? I ask as I am considering doing something similar.

Yeah, I bet that was quiet a challenge. Did you design the full airport first and the split up the design to each paper? I ask as I am considering doing something similar.
I'm pretty sure that my son did the entire ground layout, and then divided them up to fit on the 81 sheets. I do know that with them fitting on 6 sheets of core board each 2 X 3 ft, I had to cut the middle sheets in sections 2, 5, and 8 in half to fit on the panels.

I'm pretty sure that my son did the entire ground layout, and then divided them up to fit on the 81 sheets. I do know that with them fitting on 6 sheets of core board each 2 X 3 ft, I had to cut the middle sheets in sections 2, 5, and 8 in half to fit on the panels.
Well he did a nice job! I could probably do something like that in Adobe Illustrator, have them printed at a shop, and then fit them to the boards.

Well he did a nice job! I could probably do something like that in Adobe Illustrator, have them printed at a shop, and then fit them to the boards.
I'd definitely reccommend having them printed professionally. I started out printing them on my home printer, but it used an unbelievable amount of ink, and they just didn't look right. Had them done at FedEx Office on one of their laserjet printers, they came out much much better.

I'd definitely reccommend having them printed professionally. I started out printing them on my home printer, but it used an unbelievable amount of ink, and they just didn't look right. Had them done at FedEx Office on one of their laserjet printers, they came out much much better.
I will look into that. Thank you!

This is a wonderful project. I'd seen bits of it on Facebook I think but didn't realise it was yours. IND had such a great layout. I love these old US fields with rather random piers and odd shapes. So much more interesting than linear terminals.

The 3D printed terminal looks spectacular.

This is a wonderful project. I'd seen bits of it on Facebook I think but didn't realise it was yours. IND had such a great layout. I love these old US fields with rather random piers and odd shapes. So much more interesting than linear terminals.

Thank you Richard. It's my hometown airport, and I worked on the ramp there in the late 70's.

The old airport was cool but the new KIND terminal opened in 08 also has a great design and is a big step up on the inside for passengers.

Attachments

• 5094B255-6D0D-40CC-B1E6-E207FAFA4044.jpeg
    5094B255-6D0D-40CC-B1E6-E207FAFA4044.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 21D6F559-AAB5-4079-8BD7-AA2575955265.jpeg
    21D6F559-AAB5-4079-8BD7-AA2575955265.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 18
  • 20E45E86-C3E2-4457-89E0-0106D808E612.jpeg
    20E45E86-C3E2-4457-89E0-0106D808E612.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17