Another 2023 list: Who had the best releases in 1/400?

Mark22

Yes, another thread that is looking back on the past 12 months. However, this one is not based on opinions, but statistics! I calculated percentages of 4 criteria, based on variety, of the five main manufacturers: Aeroclassics, NG models, JCwings, GeminiJets and Phoenix. Check out who had the overall best and worst variety here, plus my predictions for 2024:

>>>> https://www.yankeevictor400.com/post/who-had-the-best-1-400-releases-in-2023 <<<<

thumbnails.jpg

This year has had some very nice releases. Overall, I’d say the best brand for releases has been JC for me. There’s been a few good releases and quite A few models that have been made that I’ve picked up aswell as the debut of their new Antonov moulds. Aeroclassics whilst I don’t collect them have had quite a few interesting subjects such as DC 10s and a few 747 classics.
Gemini have been quite average, nothing that interesting and an average 767-400 mould debuted.
Panda haven’t made much and the things they have made haven’t been the best, the Russian Navy Tu134 was quite nice but that’s been the only standout for me.
Phoenix have chosen some very interesting subjects that have appealed to me but their moulds and progress with refining their moulds is annoying.
NG has probably been one of the most disappointing for me. They have made some amazing models but their lack of diversity in releases is really not great and frustrating for a lot of collectors. Their latest set is probably the worst offender with loads of repeats and not very interesting airlines that I can’t see many people collecting. It’s annoying as we all know they can do much better.

Overall, 2023 has been a good year for me with lots of new additions to my collection and a lot of new and promising moulds to come in 2024. I’m hoping that European narrowbodies get more attention but we shall see.

I didn't keep a good record of my purchases of models released in 2023, but just going by memory I can say that Phoenix easily got most of my money during the year.

I believe the order of brands for me from most purchases went like this:

PH
NG
AC
GJ
JC
AV

While I agree that JC had the most varied set of releases, they didn't get a lot of my business for two reasons: Either NG had a better mold available, or GJ was in charge of releasing a subject more in line with my criteria. I did get two of the JC 744s, and also the Conviasa A346 (this one is a future release from 2 years ago that is just now hitting the stores 😶)

I’ve actually been quite impressed with GJ this year, they’ve started listening (a little bit) to some criticism, especially at the end of this year.

2023 is the first year I got back to collecting after last purchase about 8 years ago so there is a lot of catching up, and my purchase list stands like :

NG (>100) >> PH >> AC > GJ ~ JC > AV (2)

Since NG was the sole reason I got back into collecting they naturally take the throne. PH was my previous favorite (8 years ago PH was the biggest player in 400 scale I believe) so they got quite some orders from me as well.

Now I think I still have some of those bad feelings towards GJ/JC from old times so I do hope to give some of JC's new moulds a second chance in 2024 and see if they can redeem themselves.

Last edited:
I like the concept of this analysis but there is definitely a but coming here for me. I feel in places you have rather cherry picked data and I really think you should be showing the raw data showing how you got your numbers because for some of your categories I'm left scratching my head a bit.

Aircraft Types
Comparing aircraft types (or is it aircraft manufacturers it is unclear) doesn't make any sense because it surely entirely relies on what moulds a brand has available. JC Wings has its entire 15 odd year mould catalogue plus all of Gemini Jets 23 year mould catalogue plus all of Witty Wings and Jet-X / Blue Box mould catalogues available. They should win on diversity of aircraft types with such an enormous mould catalogue available (only 1 quarter of which was actually made by them in the first place).

You can hardly criticise NG for not using aircraft types they haven't made in the 6 years they have been around. In 2023 they have literally used all their available moulds (admittedly not well).

Or am I misunderstanding how you scored that section because it isn't very clear to me?

Airlines
On this one the win for JC Wings is something of an illusion. JC Wings poor diversity is merely hidden by the fact that they spread their multiple versions of the same model across multiple years whereas NG don't tend to and release their's immediately. Factor that in and their diversity is not great at all. Take into account JC's extended delivery times for many of the models and this looks even worse.

Modern / Retro
I also think you have skewed this dataset by selecting a rather odd date for considering it retro (1990).

As I understand it you consider the UA Saul Bass 747-400 to be retro even though it post-dates 1990 because the 744 is out of production - right? But you don't consider the 767s to be retro because the type is still in production? Does that mean you also consider a 2023 747-400 to be retro or that recent JC Mexican cargo DC-9 to be retro because if so that is bizarre to me.

Once again with the moulds available only L1011s, 747SP, 757, Tu-154 could possibly fit into your retro range for NG Models. I'm annoyed that NG don't make more classics but your argument here is a bit of a strawman because 2000 is a far more sensible date to choose to make it at all fair I'd say and you should ignore the aircraft type and focus on the airline / aircraft combination not just the type. It might not change the numbers for NG but it would be fairer and JC wouldn't look so good.

Other Brands
Also is there a reason why you missed out Panda Models (who have made 70 models this year) and Aviation400 (who have made 65)?? Some of the comments here in the replies like 'Panda haven't made much' are simply not true and based on not looking at the actual data.

Overall
It seems a little ridiculous to say that JC Wings had the best diversity of releases in 2023 and it is somewhat ironic that nobody on the replies has bought many JC Wings releases at all!!

Basically NG win your first category, JC almost can't lose the 2nd one, JC kind of cheat their way to a win on the 3rd due to their release strategy and they probably cheat their way to the modern / retro win by the unusual way you chose to score it.

I'm not saying NG have had a great year at all and they wouldn't win my selection or many points for diversity but your dataset skews things so they (or other newer brands) can never win. Arguably Phoenix have had the best diversity this year aside from aircraft types. Shame their models are so bog ordinary.

Last edited:
About "Aircraft Types" it is clearly stated that I counted manufacturers and the reason why I did so. If NG does 30/40 releases a month and can't fit a single Tupolev and Lockheed in there, it's not unfair scoring from me, just bad variety. It would also be a huge disadvantage from brands you wanted me to include like Panda and AV400.

About "Airlines" you are using your personal opinion. This scoring is about 2023 and the average variety. Some people rather not have too many models they want to buy in 1 month and some do. So JCs strategy to spread over multiple years is not objectively good or bad. If you want me to take previous years into account aswell to check for re-releases, this alone would take more time than the rest of the entire article, as stated at the start of the article.

Modern/retro is as stated. If I had to check when each of the hundreds of liveries were used, this would be like a fulltime job. I will do it if you pay me sufficiently, but otherwise you are asking for too much. My decision for 1990 is my choice and it's a decision I made before looking at any of the releases. Some people would agree with me and some don't, but it can't be perfect for everyone. Your choice for the year 2000 is again subjective. And indeed, a 767-200 is retro and 767-300F is counted as modern.

About other brands it's simple. I drew the line at the 5 main manufacturers who have monthly releases. AV400 and Panda would be far on the bottom anyway as their releases are pretty much modern Boeing and Airbus only. Little strange how you said NG has a disadvantage over JC as NG has a lot less moulds available, yet want me to include brands with even fewer moulds? Their releases are also so small that they would have a larger advantage over JC in the Airlines category than JC has over NG.

Overall it seems like you want me to change my scoring to get NG higher and JC lower, never have you mentioned AC, Phoenix or GeminiJets whenever they had a (dis)advantage. Yes JC sometimes has an advantage because of my scoring, but so does NG. The raw data are in my drafts, so if you want to see them, let me know.

Last edited:
About "Aircraft Types" it is clearly stated that I counted manufacturers and the reason why I did so. If NG does 30/40 releases a month and can't fit a single Tupolev and Lockheed in there, it's not unfair scoring from me, just bad variety. It would also be a huge disadvantage from brands you wanted me to include like Panda and AV400.
I still don't understand how you did this? Did you go through each month and count Airbus, Boeing, Tupolev etc or did you go through the entire year's run? Doing the former makes no sense as one month NG or PH could make 10 Tu-154s and the next month zero. Doing the latter only scores an artefact of how long the brand has been in existance (how many moulds they own) and how they make models. For example Aeroclassics doesn't do that well here but that is just because they produce much smaller volumes so cast off a batch of a type at once then use them across a short period. JC doesn't do that because it produces 6 times as many models as AC does. So AC loses out and JC wins.

About "Airlines" you are using your personal opinion. This scoring is about 2023 and the average variety. Some people rather not have too many models they want to buy in 1 month and some do. So JCs strategy to spread over multiple years is not objectively good or bad. If you want me to take previous years into account aswell to check for re-releases, this alone would take more time than the rest of the entire article, as stated at the start of the article.
It is not my opinion. If you took a longer timescale then JC and NG would look the same as it is just a case of when they release the models. JC make all the models at the same time and then string them out. I'm not saying you should look at all the previous years but I am saying by not doing so and by not calling out the way brands release all you have done is create a false result.
Modern/retro is as stated. If I had to check when each of the hundreds of liveries were used, this would be like a fulltime job. I will do it if you pay me sufficiently, but otherwise you are asking for too much. My decision for 1990 is my choice and it's a decision I made before looking at any of the releases. Some people would agree with me and some don't, but it can't be perfect for everyone. Your choice for the year 2000 is again subjective. And indeed, a 767-200 is retro and 767-300F is counted as modern.
I just don't think your concept of retro or modern makes any sense. In your view a Super Constellation still flying in 2023 would be retro and a 1987 Air France A320-100 would be modern!
About other brands it's simple. I drew the line at the 5 main manufacturers who have monthly releases. AV400 and Panda would be far on the bottom anyway as their releases are pretty much modern Boeing and Airbus only. Little strange how you said NG has a disadvantage over JC as NG has a lot less moulds available, yet want me to include brands with even fewer moulds? Their releases are also so small that they would have a larger advantage over JC in the Airlines category than JC has over NG.
It just seems odd to exclude brands that make up a significant proportion of the scale nowadays. They are each 75% the size of AC and GJ. I agree they probably wouldn't fare well in a diversity test, especially the way you're doing it, but leaving them out is odd.
Overall it seems like you want me to change my scoring to get NG higher and JC lower, never have you mentioned AC, Phoenix or GeminiJets whenever they had a (dis)advantage. Yes JC sometimes has an advantage because of my scoring, but so does NG. The raw data are in my drafts, so if you want to see them, let me know.

I was using NG as a proxy - partly because they are the closest to JC in terms of releases, strategy and numbers. I think NG would be low and should be - I in fact wrote a fairly damning appraisal of NG production earlier in the year if you recall. However, what I want is a fair and balanced analysis and I don't feel you have done that as well as you might have. The way you have scored has allowed JC to sneak in for a win they simply don't deserve. I understand looking at the data in detail takes a lot of time but really? DiMA does exist and you're young so have plenty of time :)

My literal job is analysis so although I appreciate more and more people writing and looking at the scale I'd prefer it was analysis that actually did what you profess it to do - look at the numbers and report on them rather than set really arbitrary boundaries, ignore the ways of working of different brands and then produce graphs that can't be proven because you don't include any data.

Did you go through each month and count Airbus, Boeing, Tupolev etc or did you go through the entire year's run? Doing the former makes no sense as one month NG or PH could make 10 Tu-154s and the next month zero.
The first thing is exactly what I did yes. Why would it not make sense? In the end it's about the average of the entire year, so it doesn't matter if one month has 10 and next month zero.
It is not my opinion. If you took a longer timescale then JC and NG would look the same as it is just a case of when they release the models. JC make all the models at the same time and then string them out.
This is about 2023. Why should I look at the future or the past? JC announced 12 monthly releases this year so that's what I am using for comparison.
I'm not saying you should look at all the previous years but I am saying by not doing so and by not calling out the way brands release all you have done is create a false result.
I don't understand this? First you say I shouldn't use data from previous years and then say I should have for fair results? Which one is it? I did mention in the article that NG splits their batches into different registrations, which does not benefit them in terms of variety, but if any of the other 4 manufacturers did it, they too would have a disadvantage. We can't bend the rules to make the releases of one brand score better, because then I should change the geography scoring too because GJ chooses to target the American market, or the modern/retro ratio because AC does lots of classics.
I just don't think your concept of retro or modern makes any sense. In your view a Super Constellation still flying in 2023 would be retro and a 1987 Air France A320-100 would be modern!
This is undeed not a completely fair way of scoring, but again, then it would be a fulltime job to make everything as fair as it could have been. I don't make any money and my articles are purely for fun.
It just seems odd to exclude brands that make up a significant proportion of the scale nowadays. They are each 75% the size of AC and GJ. I agree they probably wouldn't fare well in a diversity test, especially the way you're doing it, but leaving them out is odd.
Panda has loads of retail exclusives and subbrands. Besides that, how many official releases they got this year? And how many models in each release? I remember that there were only a few models in them, mostly Airbus A320s and 737's, of which most with US or Southeast Asian airlines, and a couple government TU-204's spread over 12 months. AV400 has more yes, but I simply chose not to include them due to lack of diversity and consistent releases.
I was using NG as a proxy - partly because they are the closest to JC in terms of releases, strategy and numbers. I think NG would be low and should be - I in fact wrote a fairly damning appraisal of NG production earlier in the year if you recall. However, what I want is a fair and balanced analysis and I don't feel you have done that as well as you might have. The way you have scored has allowed JC to sneak in for a win they simply don't deserve. I understand looking at the data in detail takes a lot of time but really? DiMA does exist and you're young so have plenty of time :)
If you can explain where JC got an undeserved high score (looking at 2023 data only), then let me know and I will consider it for 2024. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I have plenty of time. I have a fulltime job now and still can't afford a small (but decent) house/apartment, so don't think I'm spending every free weekend writing about diecast models ;)

Again, if you want the full lists of data of each manufacturer in the way I scored them, I can send them to your email for you to verify my results are correct.

Last edited:
The first thing is exactly what I did yes. Why would it not make sense? In the end it's about the average of the entire year, so it doesn't matter if one month has 10 and next month zero. NG can have 25 Airbusses, 25 Boeings, 1 Tupolev and 1 Tristar and it would still have the same score as when JCwings does those 4 manufacturers equally spread out, so NG had a huge advantage and still didn't win. That says a lot more about their releases than my scoring. And why should I look at previous years if this is about 2023 only? Then it this entire article would make zero sense.
That part of the article does make zero sense! NG doesn't have a huge advantage as they have a fraction of the mould catalogue as do all the new brands. You have merely scored the seniority of the brands here or the way they produce their castings.
Again, this is about 2023. Why should I look at the future or the past? JC announced 12 monthly releases this year so that's what I am using for comparison.
Because the way JC release their models on to the market means that what you are doing makes no sense.
I don't understand this? First you say I shouldn't use data from previous years and then say I should have for fair results? Which one is it? I did mention in the article that NG splits their batches into different registrations, which does not benefit them, but if any of the other 4 manufacturers did it, they too would have a disadvantage.
JC Wings do do the exact same as NG does but they release the models across multiple years and so get around your scoring mechanism. If NG did what JC did then they would benefit. Do you not see this?
We can't bend the rules to make the releases of one brand score better, because then I should change the geography scoring too because GJ chooses to target the American market, or the modern/retro ratio because AC does lots of classics.
You have bent the rules by not understanding how the manufacturers produce and release the models. Because of that some brands are naturally disadvantaged (Aeroclassics especially) and some advantaged (JC especially). It isn't a real comparison.
This is undeed not a completely fair way of scoring, but again, then it would be a fulltime job to make everything as fair as it could have been. I don't make any money and my articles are purely for fun.

Panda has loads of retail exclusives and subbrands. Besides that, how many official releases they got this year? And how many models in each release? I remember that there were only a few models in them, mostly Airbus A320s and 737's, of which most with US or Southeast Asian airlines, and a couple government TU-204's spread over 12 months. AV400 has more yes, but I simply chose not to include them due to lack of diversity and consistent releases.
It is irrelevent whether Panda makes models for retailers or sub-brands (JC, NG and AC all do too just less successfully). They are still real releases and their production run is at least 120 units, which is larger than most Aeroclassics runs which you all include. Panda made at least 90% of the volume of models as Aeroclassics did in 2023.

If you can explain where JC got an undeserved high score (looking at 2023 data only), then let me know and I will consider it for 2024. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I have plenty of time. I have a fulltime job now and still can't afford a small (but decent) house/apartment, so don't think I'm spending every free weekend writing about diecast models ;)

Again, if you want the full lists of data of each manufacturer in the way I scored them, I can send them to your email for you to verify my results are correct.

I still think they score unfairly on aircraft types as brands with less moulds (NG, PA, AV) are at a disadvantage and brands that produce smaller volumes and batch produce castings (AC) are also disadvantaged.

I also think they score unfairly on the airline side of things because they are doing the same as NG but just dripfeed the releases out over multiple years, which makes it look like they are more diverse than they are when you don't take into account the other years. Gemini also have a smaller advantage here because they do the same.

These are just my thoughts. Being young trust me you do have plenty of time you just don't realise it yet!!! ;)

That part of the article does make zero sense! NG doesn't have a huge advantage as they have a fraction of the mould catalogue as do all the new brands. You have merely scored the seniority of the brands here or the way they produce their castings.

Because the way JC release their models on to the market means that what you are doing makes no sense.
Being a younger brand with less different moulds available just makes their releases less diverse, but that's how everything in life works. Can't be equal for everyone, because then you get communism. I get your point with counting by month or by year as it does change the results and I will consider changing it next time. I did this because if I see a release with only Airbusses and next month only Boeings, it would be more dissapointing than a release with 50% Airbus and 50% Boeing. So more diversity in a single month feels better than a list full of the same aircraft. I think it would also be better for collectors, because otherwise there's a good chance there will be more good models than they can afford that month!

JC Wings do do the exact same as NG does but they release the models across multiple years and so get around your scoring mechanism. If NG did what JC did then they would benefit. Do you not see this?

You have bent the rules by not understanding how the manufacturers produce and release the models. Because of that some brands are naturally disadvantaged (Aeroclassics especially) and some advantaged (JC especially). It isn't a real comparison.
JC can release one model now and another variant next month, or next year, or in 5 years. Nobody knows and as clearly stated, I used 2023 data only. It would make zero sense to take releases from 2022 and earlier into account when the statistics are about 2023. NG would get a huge advantage as the other brands have much more history I would have to look into, making their releases suddenly less diverse. So then I can use your own argument about moulds for the Airlines section.

It is irrelevent whether Panda makes models for retailers or sub-brands (JC, NG and AC all do too just less successfully). They are still real releases and their production run is at least 120 units, which is larger than most Aeroclassics runs which you all include. Panda made at least 90% of the volume of models as Aeroclassics did in 2023.

I still think they score unfairly on aircraft types as brands with less moulds (NG, PA, AV) are at a disadvantage and brands that produce smaller volumes and batch produce castings (AC) are also disadvantaged.
Quantity of each release is totally irrelevant here. A model that is produced 1000 times still adds the same amount of variety as one that is produced 100 times. It's not like they put all 120 units on the release poster. I will not include unannounced models in my comparisons as it would be a pain to find all of them, and I doubt DIMA has them all.

And oh, I am well aware of the free time I have. I hear enough stories from my older brothers, nieces and nephews :ROFLMAO:

Either way. I was already going to make the aircraft types more detailled (as in counting actual aircraft types), but then I find it unfair when an A320 and A330 score the same as a B747 and a Tristar! If you have more suggestions, then let me know, this time I won't start writing halfway in November, so enough time for more fair comparisons.

The way I see it is that obviously the intended audience of the article are experienced collectors who can fill in a lot of the blanks by virtue of being familiar with which brands own what molds, etc.

It is also apparent to me that the article's purpose is mainly recreational for both, the writer and the reader. It is interesting to see some of the results, knowing the methods used.

@YesterAirlines you say that the way JC releases their models allows them to cheat their way into winning. So what? That is what the collectors see on the front end and ultimately take into account when deciding which brand offers the most variety. No one is preventing NG from doing the same, especially if it helps them not to be perceived as the model brand with the most boring release sets as of late.

@YesterAirlines, you seem to be a hardcore advocate for hard facts, but the world is a subjective place. The irony is that you have authored much of the data and product scorings in the hobby of 1:400 scale collecting, most of which is also subjective and not 100% accurate all the time.

To that end, I agree with the cutoff year (1990) and other criteria that Mark used to differentiate retro from modern. An A320 manufactured in 1988 will still be perceived as a modern subject by the average person with some aviation knowledge as it might as well been built in 2021. The fact that some of us are keenly aware of how regs. and small livery variations place an airplane in a specific period is not enough of a justification to put in the considerable extra effort that will take to do such scoring by factoring aircraft/livery combo. Similarly, the recent Mexican DC-9-30F by JC is a retro aircraft. Sure, a modern subject once you factor the operator, but it can be argued that the release is interesting only because there are not that many DC-9s flying anymore today.

Likewise, regardless of your feelings for Panda and AV400, they are small players. Simply put, if GJ, AC, PH, JC or NG skip a monthly set of releases collectors are quickly going to pick up on it and start asking questions about it. Panda and Aviation400 could not release anything else for a year before any significant number of collectors would start to notice their absence.

Last edited:
Ultimately it's your site so you can publish what you like but I can't say I agree with the way the data has been presented for the reasons I've given, which I don't think you've countered. If you are presenting data as facts then I think it is up to the site to provide the best quality information it can, analyse it so it can be explained and not suppose people know things. It would help if you did the basic research so you didn't accidentally mislead people too.

Last edited:
Ultimately it's your site so you can publish what you like ...

Just to clarify, I'm not sure "publishing" is the most appropriate word. I think "posting" stuff online better describes what we are talking about here. While I believe that blogging does carry a higher level of responsibility with the audience compared with simply posting on Facebook or a message board, it is still nothing more than another way in which many of us enjoy the hobby. I created the site and I take care of the costs associated with running it, but in the case of this article, as with any other articles not authored by me, I am completely hands off of the "publishing" process.

-------------------------

Anyway, I hope you are not as wrapped around the axle with this article as you make it seem.

I honestly think it is a fair enough representation of the release choices of the manufacturers in question, and how they used their available molds. Maybe only using the aircraft manufacturer as a gauge for type diversity is a bit too vague, for instance. But that is not completely left unchecked as the retro/modern metric does give more credit to a manufacturer that, for example, released a 747-200 and a 737 MAX in the same month.

In fact, I can tell that the way NG scored well on "Aircraft types" (70%<), and then so poorly on "Modern/retro ratio" (20%>) matches the underutilization of their "retro" molds in 2023. Yes, they don't have that many "retro" molds available, but had they used them more, those percentages would not have been so spread out.

Last edited:
Nah not too wrapped up. I am tempted to see if I can do something similar with more detailed data and see if the results change. I agree NG have been poor this year so I have no expectation that they should win anything really when it comes to diversity, however JC winning seems wrong too.

Nah not too wrapped up. I am tempted to see if I can do something similar with more detailed data and see if the results change. I agree NG have been poor this year so I have no expectation that they should win anything really when it comes to diversity, however JC winning seems wrong too.

I thought Phoenix was going to win, but after seeing the results it downed on me that popular subjects, don't equal to diversity. After all, all but two of my purchases from them were European and North American subjects. Their other forte is Asia, so yeah, not the best geographical diversity.

I actually crunched the majority. of the JC numbers, using the parameters developed by Mark, and honestly, they came across as pretty diverse. One because, as we all know, they have more molds than anybody else. But also since GJ heavily takes care of "their" North American and European subjects, JC seems to be forced to get creative in choosing which airlines/operators to use on their extensive mold catalog.

It would be interesting to see what you come up with.

I thought Phoenix was going to win, but after seeing the results it downed on me that popular subjects, don't equal to diversity. After all, all but two of my purchases from them were European and North American subjects. Their other forte is Asia, so yeah, not the best geographical diversity.

I actually crunched the majority. of the JC numbers, using the parameters developed by Mark, and honestly, they came across as pretty diverse. One because, as we all know, they have more molds than anybody else. But also since GJ heavily takes care of "their" North American and European subjects, JC seems to be forced to get creative in choosing which airlines/operators to use on their extensive mold catalog.

It would be interesting to see what you come up with.
I've been looking at it this morning. I have the benefit of having spent way too much time recently creating an Excel based copy of DiMA for 400 scale, which allows me to sort the data much more quickly and in some detail.