Pre-release review! Aeroclassics 1/400 Kingfisher

Mark22

One of my purchases at the Amsterdam Fair. I was actually planning on writing a different kind of article, but I had the chance to do a pre-release review of a model 😁 . For some perhaps not the most exciting model, but anyway. In this review I discuss the Aeroclassics Kingfisher A320 VT-KFD, which is planned to be among the "Autumn 2023" releases. At first glance the model already looked pretty good with no big issues, but it turned out to be even better than I expected, especially considering some questionable QC we've seen in the past months. Read about this model and the airline here:

thumbnails.jpg

Glad to see the show paid off for you Mark! I think you also did well selling many models. The model looks good!

Nice review. I notice you don't score the mould itself. I tend to give the Aeroclassics A320 an 8/10 nowadays. The lack of aerials on an A320 is a little annoying and the nosegear tyres with no tyre hub are not an improvement over the old ones.

I'd have also knocked something off the score for the outline of the main titles too. The gold behind the red should be in shadow form and lower than the main titles but isn't:

titles.jpg

Great to meet you again at the AMS fair and this does look like a nice little model.

Nice review. I notice you don't score the mould itself. I tend to give the Aeroclassics A320 an 8/10 nowadays. The lack of aerials on an A320 is a little annoying and the nosegear tyres with no tyre hub are not an improvement over the old ones.
I don't rate the mould on purpose because it would score the same for every AC A320 anyway and on a small aircraft I don't care about aerials, they would need to be perfectly sized or else it messes up the entire model. Same thing for the nosegear, it's indeed missing the tirehub, but that's not a QC issue.

Fair point about the shadow by the way. They would need to move it by half a millimeter, maybe even less. Will add it to the review, but need to check on the model if it will be noticeable at all.

Last edited:
The Aeroclassics A320 is a great little mould, and one I buy plenty of, but Panda came along and added aerials and a proper tyrehub to effectively the same mould and it looks much better for it. Aeroclassics altered the nosegear tyre, which was too small, to one which now looks a bit odd because of the lack of the hub.

Aerials on an old aircraft like a 727 I can live without but on an A320 I think they should be present personally because there are quite a few. Aerial size can be an issue with JC but isn't a problem with most of the rest. This neo illustrates the benefits of tyrehubs and aerials:

CA_A320N_05.JPG

I think Andrew wants to reduce the chances of his factory workers messing up.

Andrew is so out of luck with his workers all the time. Others seem to have better workers.

Of course, just sticking the tires onto the axle instead of using a more complex axle/hub/tire assembly saves a few dollars. But this is pure coincidence of course.😉