Southwest special schemes part 1

Yes, I did enjoy that. FedEx had a grand total of 1 flight a day to IND when I hired in there in 1979. There are now more than 105 on weekdays between the night, sunrise, and day sorts.
Talk about progression! Super excited visit one day, it seems like a super nice place!

Yes, it is. FedEx is especially busy on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Saturdays are great too..full day sort.

Very informative, thanks for posting this again here, it allowed me to take a fresh look at the progression of the Southwest special liveries. My favorite one is Shamu in the mustard rocket colors as it was the first one I saw back in the mid-nineties during my first visits to Houston. It was always nice to catch the orca flying around the Houston sky lining up for 12R at Hobby. There was a nice model shop in a tourist area of Houston at the time that carried Herpa 1:500s, I got a model of Shamu and the Silver One from them.

Here is a picture I took N334SW in the canyon blue colors landing at Hobby Jul 26, 2012. Probably the last time I saw it. I did not know it was still the original Shamu; after all those years I would have thought the livery had transitioned to another airframe. Very cool it didn't.

Very informative, thanks for posting this again here, it allowed me to take a fresh look at the progression of the Southwest special liveries. My favorite one is Shamu in the mustard rocket colors as it was the first one I saw back in the mid-nineties during my first visits to Houston. It was always nice to catch the orca flying around the Houston sky lining up for 12R at Hobby. There was a nice model shop in a tourist area of Houston at the time that carried Herpa 1:500s, I got a model of Shamu and the Silver One from them.

Here is a picture I took N334SW in the canyon blue colors landing at Hobby Jul 26, 2012. Probably the last time I saw it. I did not know it was still the original Shamu; after all those years I would have thought the livery had transitioned to another airframe. Very cool it didn't.

Very nice! The Shamu scheme looks excellent with the Canyon blue tail, better than the Desert gold in my opinion.

"Desert Gold" vs. "Mustard Rocket" question...

My understanding was that Southwest original livery was referred to as "mustard rocket." I thought it came from its matte finish and the rocket sound produced by the JT8Ds on the 737-200s. Then I thought desert gold was the name given to their retro aircraft painted in the "mustard rocket" colors but with a sparkly finish. Is this correct? Also, I'm noticing now that even during the "mustard rocket" era, special livery aircraft incorporated a sparkly finish on the "mustard" elements of the livery, making them special liveried aircraft on a "desert gold" base during the "mustard rocket" era. Is this correct?

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful photo.

Glad you liked it, the golden hour.
Epic shot! Hope you had a great spotting day!

Thanks, it was a decade ago 😱. I'm guessing it was a good day haha...
Very nice! The Shamu scheme looks excellent with the Canyon blue tail, better than the Desert gold in my opinion.

It gives it a modern look, and the deep ocean blue goes well with the whale. For nostalgia, the Shamu in my collection is the -500 in the mustard/desert gold base.

I had a SkyMarks 1:150 model of Shamu in the canyon blue colors that I recently sold on eBay, and I was surprised to see how many people were after it.

"Desert Gold" vs. "Mustard Rocket" question...

My understanding was that Southwest original livery was referred to as "mustard rocket." I thought it came from its matte finish and the rocket sound produced by the JT8Ds on the 737-200s. Then I thought desert gold was the name given to their retro aircraft painted in the "mustard rocket" colors but with a sparkly finish. Is this correct? Also, I'm noticing now that even during the "mustard rocket" era, special livery aircraft incorporated a sparkly finish on the "mustard" elements of the livery, making them special liveried aircraft on a "desert gold" base during the "mustard rocket" era. Is this correct?
If I recall correctly, the original Southwest color was ochre..a "mustard" color, kind of a yellowish-brown. The retro gold was actually a metallic gold color. Lighting really affercted the look of it overall.

If I recall correctly, the original Southwest color was ochre..a "mustard" color, kind of a yellowish-brown. The retro gold was actually a metallic gold color. Lighting really affercted the look of it overall.

Thanks,

Here is N348SW in 1989 at OKC. Looks like the ochre/mustard base, the contrast with the black is probably what gives it the gold feel.

1666622714191.png

Here is a pic I took of N714CB wearing the sparkly Dessert Gold retro in 2013.

1666622819791.png