Retro Sioux Falls Airport

Here are some of the newspaper clippings. Additional ones talked about 9/11’s effects at FSD, so I’ll save those for another time. I’ll be sure to utilize Newspapers.com in the future to further my research. I recommend zooming on the photos to read the story. All below are from the Argus Leader, a Sioux Falls-based newspaper.

1) A United Express advertisement from 1995, displaying the routes to/from Denver and Chicago. Seems like they used the EMB-120 at this time, likely before the CRJs became more active in the fleet.

2) Front page of the Argus Leader dated March 27, 1997, with the first story reporting on the extension of Runway 15/33. The plan was to reroute the Big Sioux River further north to give way for the additional runway length, and additional plans talked of building another concourse. A parking ramp was also in the works, being planned to open in 2006. Now, we are getting a parking garage constructed, which is slated to open next fall (2024).
Also mentioned is United ending mainline service to Chicago by June 1997.

3) An advertisement for the 2003 Sioux Falls Airshow, featuring the Thunderbirds. They would not return to the airshow until 2019, the most recent event as of June 2023.
View attachment 17069View attachment 17070View attachment 17074

Story from picture 2 continued on another page. Also included is an advert for a local car dealership.
IMG_7105.jpeg

Here we go for more Retro FSD acquistions! All coming from the Airliners International 2023 convention in Dallas, I walked away with a total of five new models for the project, a majority of them I didn't think I'd find. Here they are in chronological order:

First is the Ozark DC-9 by Aeroclassics. An original Gen 1 release from 2001, it has the infamous screw in the belly. For this model, this will be most useful from 1966 up until the mid 1970s, whenever Ozark introduced the newer Stripes livery and also used the larger -30 more frequently.
DSC01329.JPG

Next is the Western 727-200 by Gemini Jets. Another great deal I found this at, this particular type (as far as I know) flew here during parts of the 70s and 80s, when the 737-200 was the predominant type operated by Western. In addition, this is my first Flying W aircraft!
DSC01331.JPG

Next is the North Central DC-9-30 by Aeroclassics, wearing a polished Republic hybrid livery. This aircraft isn't as essential as the others, but it's hard to determine if this flew to FSD at any point in time while sporting these colors. Also, it's Herman the Duck, and most of you know how much I want anything Herman the Duck in my collection, so this'll do. This model was pointed out to me by a friend who saw it whilst walking by the table it was located. I ran over and saw it was being sold for a good deal, so I said "why not?".
DSC01330.JPG

Next is the United 727-100 Saul Bass by Aeroclassics. Fortunately, this was a recent release, and I'd been eying to get this one at Airliners. This type flew briefly in 1989 alongside its larger -200 counterpart.
DSC01332.JPG

Finally is the Northwest 727-200 Bowling Shoe. Thanks to @redriveraviation for this one; I'd been eager to find one to complement the DC-9-30, as the 722 flew intermittently at times in the late 90s.
DSC01333.JPG

On the night of June 24, 2003, a Northwest Airlines DC-9-50 from Minneapolis was about to land on Runway 15 when a tornado was reported northwest of the airport. The plane barely missed the tornado but was knocked off course as a result of its close encounter. Following this, the pilots diverted to Omaha until the nasty weather passed. That same day, 67 tornadoes touched down across the state, which set a record at the time. The one reported near the airport was rated an F0.

KELOLAND News did a story on this a few weeks ago as the 20th anniversary of this event passed; included is footage at the airport during the storm and eyewitness accounts of the event. For me this was quite the event to read up on; originally I discovered this a couple months ago but there wasn’t much to go off of.

From a few weeks ago, after coming back from Dallas, I saw this cool mural on my way out of the terminal. On the left shows the airport in its early years with a North Central DC-3 flying over, and on the right shows FSD in its current (at the time this was created, 1990) state. A United 737-200 is flying over, and down below at the terminal there are Delta, TWA, Northwest, and United planes.
IMG_7455.jpeg

You can see them better here. The TWA is a DC-9, which is a nice touch. The rest are all what I would assume to be 737-200s though NWA never had those.
IMG_0999.jpeg

This book in the middle of the mural shows various old airline logos, including Braniff, United, Northwest, Pan American, Delta, Hanford (who would later become Mid-Continent), and the bottom right I assume is Western.

I should note that PAA never came close to flying here (closest would’ve been MSP and ORD). It’s interesting to see their logo in here though, so I wonder why it’s included?
IMG_1001.jpeg

August’s Retro FSD update goes old-school. Feel free to guess what year this route map is; one of the airlines seen here may trip you up!
IMG_1172.jpeg

On a side note, I'm getting really excited about the scheduling project my son is working on for the IND project. I'm still taking a bit of a break from it, but I'll get started on the window and door decals soon. I'll probably start with concourse A and work my way around.

As we move through August, another Retro FSD update is on the way. For now, feel free to check out the one I did for July, set in 2003. I talk about the Northwest DC-9 incident and as usual showcase the air traffic at FSD during this time. The next update will be based off a route map I’ve recently shared in this thread…

The 1981 Retro FSD update is now available for your viewing pleasure. In addition, here is my plan for upcoming Retro FSD updates:
- The next update will take us back to the 1990s as I still want to complete this decade.
- The following update I tentatively want to do another 2000s update, possibly an early-decade one to bridge the gap between my 2000 and 2004 updates.
- More long-term plans include a mid-90s and early 90s update before we make our way back into the 80s, which will be dependent on model acquisitions and new information for the project.

Yep, those schedules on departedflights.com has been our starting point for the schedule project.
We really need to find historic OAG books... those schedules have so many errors they're almost useless.

If the Indy library has the OAGs, what would you think about scanning the to/from FSD pages to help JJ out?

I would be appreciative of those! Would love to see what those are all about. I am attending a one-day show in Minneapolis next month; if I do find an OAG myself I’ll be sure to pick it up.

On another note, September is starting to wind down, so in just a couple of weeks we will have another Retro FSD update! Here is the route map for this one; feel free to leave your guesses of the year below!
IMG_1776.jpeg