Phantom's photo phread

After a longer break...

American Airlines 777-223ER, N795AN
NG Models 72046
released June 2023

the model:
done to the typical high NG quality, this model reflects N795AN in conditions seen between a shop visit around summer 2012 and its repaint into new colors in early 2014.
Only thing to nitpick is the slightly crooked printed tail.

the real thing:
not much to say here. 30257/315, delivered new to American Airlines as N795AN in December 2000. The aircraft was repainted into new colors early in 2014 and still is active with the airline.

n795an1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
n795an4 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Is it the paint at the root of the horizontal stab. what places it in the summer 2012-early 2014 period?

Is it the paint at the root of the horizontal stab. what places it in the summer 2012-early 2014 period?

Just some quick window counting around the 2L/R exits - sometimes helps, here as well.
The 5 windows aft of the 2L narrow it down to this timeframe.
Of course, starboard side and other details could depict a totally different timeframe :LOL:

Last edited:
Once again, AA. But this time a much older release.

American Airlines 727-227, N718AA
Gemini Jets GJAAL088
released in 2000

the model:
despite of looking a bit outdated in 2023 this is still a lovely little model and - due to a lack of really good moulds - one of the few 727s in my collection.

the real thing:
20611/894 delivered as a 727-227 to Braniff International as N413BN in August 1972 were it wore "Flying Colors" blue/light blue.
In January 1981 the airframe went to American as N718AA. In April 1985 it lost its engine #3 inflight, luckily with a happy ending.
The aircraft was retired early in 2002, sold to Kalitta to be used for spares. It was finally scraped at Oscoda that same year.

n718aa by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Once again, AA. But this time a much older release.

American Airlines 727-227, N718AA
Gemini Jets GJAAL088
released in 2000

the model:
despite of looking a bit outdated in 2023 this is still a lovely little model and - due to a lack of really good moulds - one of the few 727s in my collection.

the real thing:
20611/894 delivered as a 727-227 to Braniff International as N413BN in August 1972 were it wore "Flying Colors" blue/light blue.
In January 1981 the airframe went to American as N718AA. In April 1985 it lost its engine #3 inflight, luckily with a happy ending.
The aircraft was retired early in 2002, sold to Kalitta to be used for spares. It was finally scraped at Oscoda that same year.

n718aa by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
I bought this model about 13 years ago, it was an old model already then. It is one of my all time favorites. Mine is looking a bit tarnished though.

I bought this model about 13 years ago, it was an old model already then. It is one of my all time favorites. Mine is looking a bit tarnished though.
I like a bit of patina on the old stuff. Nothing's worse than a clean bling chrome model.
I've seen your post about the AA.(y)

Wanted to mow the lawn but instead ended up photographing two SAA 707s flying in close formation over some ragged Bavarian jungle... 😄
zssagh by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

the models:

South African Airways 707-344C, ZS-SAG
Aeroclassics ACZSSAG
released in 2008

nice model in my favourite airliner colors. Only criticism would be the overwing registration on both models which just weren't there.

the real ZS-SAG:
20110/800, originally for Trek Airways with ZS-FKT allocated, but as SAA was able to take ZS-S... regs (outside the usual chronological system) in 1968, 800 was finally built and delivered as ZS-SAG in April 1969 to SAA and took over the place and name of ZS-SAC "Durban" which was about to leave the airline for Trek/"Luxair".
After a short lease to Air Zimbabwe as VP-WGA in 1980/81, the airframe was sold to Israel in 1982 and after a conversion operated by IAF under the regs 4X-BYQ/JYQ - tac.sign "242"
zssag by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

South African Airways 707-344C, ZS-SAH
Aeroclassics ACZSSAH
released in 2008

the real ZS-SAH:
20230/819, originally planned ZS-FKG but built and delivered as ZS-SAH "Pretoria" to SAA in August '69. Later used in full cargo ops with "Aircargo" only titles. To IAF in 1982 and registered 4X-BYS/JYS - tac.sign "246" - later converted to AEW system "Phalcon".
zssah by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Latest arrival is NG's first 747-8F release.

Boeing (Atlas Air) 747-8F, N863GT
NG Models 78001
released September 2023

the model:
I'm so glad NG fixed the shape of the nose. While not perfect it looks ok now. The only things to criticize are the way oversized cockpit/windshield and the superfluous engravings above the inner wings leading edge. Otherwise the typical solid NG quality.

the real thing:
67150/1574, built for Atlas Air as N863GT was the last ever built 747. First flown in December 2022 and delivered in January '23. It wears a special "Joe Sutter - Forever Incredible" sticker.

Who spots the printing glitch in this one?:
n863gt33 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
n863gt2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Removing the light diffusers for this one...
n863gt1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Again without light diffusers to capture the shape, though top down creates a real mess with reflections surrounding the model so I decided to shop them...
n863gt9a by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Looks like an Alien’s forehead with the 2 oversized main cockpit windows. NG, please fix the oversized cockpit windows and this will look great.

Feels like the SP had a better face, this one gives me that weird JCW effect. 1) The entire slope seems too short plus (the real thing has a more pointy nose) 2) the cockpit window is oversized, and 3) compared to the real thing I actually hope they kept the forehead design like on the 747-8 passenger variant.

IMO as things stand Phoenix 100% has better 747-8F (not -8i, that one is messed up just like -400), and unfortunately, I think NG's 748 face section has too big of an issue that it probably needs a complete re-design. Sorry NG you gotta fix this one.

the real thing:
67150/1574, built for Atlas Air as N863GT was the last ever built 747. First flown in December 2022 and delivered in January '23. It wears a special "Joe Sutter - Forever Incredible" sticker.
Who spots the printing glitch in this one?:
Gradient sticking out on top of the Atlas Air sticker maybe.

Aside from that though, a beautiful model -- your photos make it look even better!

Gradient sticking out on top of the Atlas Air sticker maybe.

Aside from that though, a beautiful model -- your photos make it look even better!
Yes, that's it. (y)Very minor issue, for the naked eye anyways.
And thanks. I love photo shooting those models.

Feels like the SP had a better face, this one gives me that weird JCW effect. 1) The entire slope seems too short plus (the real thing has a more pointy nose) 2) the cockpit window is oversized, and 3) compared to the real thing I actually hope they kept the forehead design like on the 747-8 passenger variant.

IMO as things stand Phoenix 100% has better 747-8F (not -8i, that one is messed up just like -400), and unfortunately, I think NG's 748 face section has too big of an issue that it probably needs a complete re-design. Sorry NG you gotta fix this one.

They slightly overdid the re-shaping of the forehead, resulting in a slightly too low position of the windshield and a slightly too far front sitting windshield maybe. Nothing real big though IMHO. They can have my money, granted they fix the cockpit printing.
The real issue here is the cockpit artwork which is way to large for the windshield.
I'm too lazy to either make up a good photo comparison and don't want to ruin the "mint" look by just replacing the cockpit with a properly dimensioned decal, but here's the nose cropped out of a side shot of the model.
n863gt4 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Ok, so out of curiosity I made a quick overlay from a real 747's section 41 picture. The difference certainly is there.
But please bear in mind that we don't know the exact vectors (angle and distance between lens and object, focal lenght, distortion...) so that this image really can only give a rough estimate.
section41b by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Wow thanks for showing this, very interesting. Now I think it's not that big of an error in terms of nose shape, but that cockpit position and shape to me are still too off that they mess up the beautify of 747 (it also created the illusion that the slope is too short, and I agree the windshield is too large, the two pieces in the center). It would've been much better if they didn't trim the forehead and moved the cockpit up by some margin.

Anyways, very nice photographs, hard to get all-crisp image from 45 degree angle, must had a very very small F setting I guess.

Last edited: