Phantom's photo phread

Phantom

I'm dedicating a thread to detailed photos of some of my models with a bit of info on the real airframes as well as some nitpicking here and there.

My first and so far only JC Wings 400 model will also be my first featured model here:

United Airlines 747-422, N183UA as delivered ("Saul Bass")
JC Wings XX40087

2022/23 release

the model:
a pretty impressive mould - way better than the BB400 for example - even though there are a few things I'd like to see different like the engines not having their intake lips as separate casts. Still this is a great model and a nice addition to the fleet.

the real thing:
25379/911 built for United as a 747-422. First flown and delivered to the airline as N183UA in April 1992. The aircraft was already retired from UA service and put into storage in 2001. In 2005 it went to Corsair as F-WLOV but apparently was only a dessert queen befor it finally returned to service with the airline in 2006, now as F-HLOV. Corsair withdrew it from service in 2013, sent it to storage at Kemble where it was broken up.

n183ua2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
N183UA3 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
N183UA4 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Oh, this is going to be good...

The front shot of the UA 744 highlights one of the issues I have with that mold, the main landing gear bogies wobble too much, seems like it could benefit from something sturdier. It is a lovely mold and model though, I have one myself and love it.

I really hope JC (or GJ) put this wonderful mould to good use. I think I would buy any of these in a heartbeat: Lufthansa (1990s), Lufthansa (2020s), KLM (early 1990s), British Airways (Landor), British Airways (Rendezvous), Air France (1990s), Qantas (1990s), United Airlines (Battleship) and many more.

Oh, this is going to be good...

The front shot of the UA 744 highlights one of the issues I have with that mold, the main landing gear bogies wobble too much, seems like it could benefit from something sturdier. It is a lovely mold and model though, I have one myself and love it.
Is it fixed in this angle or can you make them point forward? I really want one of these new JC 744's but not if it has such obvious issues.

Is it fixed in this angle or can you make them point forward? I really want one of these new JC 744's but not if it has such obvious issues.
The gears are tilting and move pretty much. So yes, you can put them into position. I just didn't do it and shot the image as is when I was happy with the model's position

Last edited:
I hope I'm not spamming Alex's photo thread with my mobile pic. But here are both configurations.

If there is anything you may criticise about these beautiful models, it's the windshield placement. Mine are slightly tilted (and in different directions).

Attachments

• JC United.JPG
    JC United.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 34
Minus one engine today.

Alitalia DC-10-30, I-DYNA, "Galileo Galilei"
Aeroclassics ACIDYNA
released in 2008

the model:
From the times when Aeroclassics was putting out reference quality. Amazing mould, crisp printing. A lovely model. Only thing to nitpick would be the h.stabs that better be white. But when I unboxed it again today after all those years I had to realize that the fuselage has turned yellow which is also easily visible in the pics - sadly it's not the only AC DC-10 affected. Such a shame as this is such a beautiful model otherwise.

the real thing:
47861/75 first flew in January 1973 and was delivered to Alitalia the following month being their first airframe of the type. It was registered I-DYNA and named Galileo Galilei. After 10 years the airframe returned to MDD as N3878P and was leased to Aeromexico. By 1989 was re-registered with this airline to XA-RIY. By 1994 it carried the reg N17804 with CIT before it went to Skyjet Antigua as V2-LEH the following years were it saw a few more lease operators. By late 1996 became XA-TFM with TAESA and on to Continental in April'97 were it flew in their full colors as N39081 until it was retired in late 2001 and finally broken up at Roswell the following year.

IDYNA by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
IDYNA2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Amazing photos! These could be stock photos if MAF had a database.

Thanks, photographing those little models is real fun!

Next one...

Atlantis DC-8-63CF, D-ADIX
Aeroclassics ACDADIX
released in 2005

the model:
models of less known subjects is what I loved Aeroclassics for. This one is a perfect example. Very nicely done model but with the AC typical sloppiness in detail. A painted h.stab and a side cargo door would have been nice. Still a lovely looking keeper in my collection.

the real thing:
Atlantis was a German airline founded in 1968. DC-8-63 were ordered mainly for routes to the US.
46137/527 was the first of three sistership DC-8-63CF and delivered to the airline in April 1970, registered as D-ADIX. Lufthansa did their best to get rid of the unwanted competitor and the airline had to cease ops in October 1972.
D-ADIX was sold to Greyhound in December (N65518) that year and on to World Airways as N804WA. It was leased to various carriers like Trans America over the following years. From 1985 it was used by Emery as N957R. In 1992 was damaged when the nose gear collapsed during a rejected t/o.
The airframe ended up with Skymaster as PR-SKM from 2002 and was finally retired in Campinas in September 2009. Not sure whether plans to turn her into a restaurant ever came to fruition.

dadix1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
DADIX2a by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Thanks, photographing those little models is real fun!

Next one...

Atlantis DC-8-63CF, D-ADIX
Aeroclassics ACDADIX
released in 2005

the model:
models of less known subjects is what I loved Aeroclassics for. This one is a perfect example. Very nicely done model but with the AC typical sloppiness in detail. A painted h.stab and a side cargo door would have been nice. Still a lovely looking keeper in my collection.

the real thing:
Atlantis was a German airline founded in 1968. DC-8-63 were ordered mainly for routes to the US.
46137/527 was the first of three sistership DC-8-63CF and delivered to the airline in April 1970, registered as D-ADIX. Lufthansa did their best to get rid of the unwanted competitor and the airline had to cease ops in October 1972.
D-ADIX was sold to Greyhound in December (N65518) that year and on to World Airways as N804WA. It was leased to various carriers like Trans America over the following years. From 1985 it was used by Emery as N957R. In 1992 was damaged when the nose gear collapsed during a rejected t/o.
The airframe ended up with Skymaster as PR-SKM from 2002 and was finally retired in Campinas in September 2009. Not sure whether plans to turn her into a restaurant ever came to fruition.

dadix1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
DADIX2a by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Yeah something about model plane photography is really fun! And that's a lovely looking model.

Olympic Airways 747-212B, SX-OAC "Olympic Spirit" (early 1990s)
Aeroclassics ACSXOAC
released in 2007

the model:
Aeroclassics release made on the well known BB400 mould. Many love the mould, personally I've never been a fan of it. This model is one of the few on this mould still in my collection as I doubt there will ever be another 747 release of this rather short lived scheme.

the real thing:
21683/387, a 747-212B built for and delivered to Singapore Airlines in August 1979 as 9V-SQH. In September 1984 the airframe went to Olympic where it was registered SX-OAC and named "Olympic Spirit". Early in the 1990s (734 delivery in 1991?), Olympic introduced a new livery - OAC was one of the airframes to receive it - but the colors failed to gain customer acceptance and so it was updated to a single tone blue by 1995.
After Olympic retired their 747s early in the 2000s, OAC left Greece in Feb.'02 heading for Jakarta for Aero Nusantara (?). Though it never got a reg assigned but instead was scrapped at CGK until 2003.
sxoac1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
sxoac2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Aeroclassics ACSXOAC
released in 2007

the model:
Aeroclassics release made on the well known BB400 mould. Many love the mould, personally I've never been a fan of it. This model is one of the few on this mould still in my collection as I doubt there will ever be another 747 release of this rather short lived scheme.

the real thing:
21683/387, a 747-212B built for and delivered to Singapore Airlines in August 1979 as 9V-SQH. In September 1984 the airframe went to Olympic where it was registered SX-OAC and named "Olympic Spirit". Early in the 1990s (734 delivery in 1991?), Olympic introduced a new livery - OAC was one of the airframes to receive it - but the colors failed to gain customer acceptance and so it was updated to a single tone blue by 1995.
After Olympic retired their 747s early in the 2000s, OAC left Greece in Feb.'02 heading for Jakarta for Aero Nusantara (?). Though it never got a reg assigned but instead was scrapped at CGK until 2003.
That's a beautiful modelh. I have this model on my wanted list for a long time, will find it eventually.

Aeroclassics ACSXOAC
released in 2007

the model:

the real thing:
Impressive photos like usual! What type of lighting do you use for them?

After a longer break...

American Airlines 777-223ER, N795AN
NG Models 72046
released June 2023

the model:
done to the typical high NG quality, this model reflects N795AN in conditions seen between a shop visit around summer 2012 and its repaint into new colors in early 2014.
Only thing to nitpick is the slightly crooked printed tail.

the real thing:
not much to say here. 30257/315, delivered new to American Airlines as N795AN in December 2000. The aircraft was repainted into new colors early in 2014 and still is active with the airline.

n795an1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
n795an4 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr