Phantom's photo phread

Getting nostalgic today with my first ever 1/400 model...

FedEx MD-10-10F, N386FE
GeminiJets GJFDX221
released in 2001/2

the model:
back in 2002, I had already stopped collecting Schabaks (did that since the late 80's) when I found a Schuco-add in a German magazine for a line of models completely unknown to me: GeminiJets? Ok, so I liked what I saw and decided to order one. I remember the moment when I unboxed it, an absolute "wow" moment. It shouldn't be the last 1/400...
Compared to todays standards the model is lacking of course, but I still very much like how it turns out in this picture. A definite keeper in my collection.

the real thing:
46620/138 was built as a DC-10-10 for United Airlines and delivered to this airline in Feb. '74 as N1821U. It was bought by FedEx in 1997 to be converted to the first ever MD-10. It finally entered service with FedEx early in 2001 as an MD-10-10F, registered N386FE. In 2013 it was retired and sent to Victorville for storage/part-out.
N386FE by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Talking about Schabak (Schuco), I just recently re-discovered my 1/250 collection (the mass of 1/600 is still missing). Even though this is the wrong scale section, allow me to post just two of those 1/250s - I rarely see any talk about this scale on the forums.
Both bought aroud 1995/96 I think directly from Schabak.
They weren't all that bad, but the engines sure were their weak point. The yellowing now doesn't make it better...
SchabakNW744 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
SchabakBA744 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Time for a few more pics...

American Airlines 767-323ER, N377AN
Phoenix Models PH404454
released in 2023

the model:
got this one to check out Phoenix' 767 mould - you can't go wrong with anything AA. The mould is as expected, "ok", but I was sure I wouldn't fall in love with it. But when photographed from the right angles it's certainly not bad.

the real thing:
25446/642 built for and delivered to American Airlines in September 1992 as N377AN. It was retired in September 2017 and sold to Cargo Aircraft Management, in first half of 2018 converted to a Freighter by Bedek, Tel Aviv. After conversion it was registered N366CM and then leased to CargoJet Airways in November 2018 where it is still active today as C-GAJG.

N377AN1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

I think I've shown the above pic already. :unsure:
So as a "bonus" here's two less studio like images taken in December's golden morning sun.
Promise you, one day I'll build a diorama to get a better backdrop for my models...🤥

AA flight 767 arriving at the gate
AA by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
AAa by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Thanks all. I think I love taking pictures of these models more than collecting them to be honest.
I so wish I'd have more time to shoot model pictures in natural (sun) light, but most of the time I'm limited to after dark shootings.

@Ciderman, awesome Schabak display you have there. Really brings back some great memories.

Early morning sun in the AA 763 shoot begged for some more shiny metal...

Cathay Pacific DC-3 (C-47-DL), VR-HDB
Aeroclassics PLCXA005
released in a set with CV-880 in 2006

the model:
what's not to love with Aeroclassics' classic props? I particularly like the bare metal appearance of this model - regardless of how correct (or not) it was done.

the real thing:
cn 4423 built as a C-47-DL for the USAAF and delivered in June 1942 as 41-18385. After surviving WWII it was sold to Roy Farrell in October '45 and transfered into civil register as NC58093.
It was operated by Shanghai based Roy Farrell Import-Export Company from Feb'46 until operations relocated to Hong Kong where the company was registered as Cathay Pacific Airways in September that year. Registration from Oct'46: VR-HDB.
It was sold to Australia in 1953 and registered VH-MAL and delivered to Mandated Airlines. After going through different hands in Australia - always as VH-MAL - it ended up with Air Queensland and was finally sold back to Cathay in 1983, repainted back in Cathay's original colors and transfered to the Hong Kong Science Museum where it still should be on display carrying its original reg. VR-HDB

vrhdb by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
vrhdb2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Alex, I really want to see if you could trick the screeners over at jetphotos with your superb photography by uploading a photo of one of your models on a taxiway diorama, and getting it accepted. 😂😀 Settle a bet. 😉

Hmm, didn't upload there for years but might be worth a try :unsure: :LOL:

In the meantime, an accidental double for today. Ordered one while I had already forgotten about a pending order. Luckily didn't end up with two of the same😂

Aegean Airlines A320-232; SX-DNB
NG Models 15040
Aegean Airlines A320-271N; SX-NEC
NG Models 15038
released in August 2023

the models:
actually the first ever A320s in my collection (!) but I had to have them as they serve my favorite holiday destination.
I really love how they are executed to NG's well know high standards. Absolutely lovely little moulds. The -271N correctly has the one extra window on the aft cabin (SpaceFlex) printed while the -232 has not. Nice attention to detail there.
The one real - but also NG typical - letdown are the titles. I can easily oversee the usual font inaccuracies, but is it really that hard to print "A E G E A N" instead of "A E GE A N"?
One more thing: Is there really not a single 1/400 release with correctly executed overwing exit markings? These two are no exception. Both are "enhanced" A320s, but both have the "classic" markings. Yes, I know NG has modeled a classic A320 layout, but at least a bit of a different artwork there?
Now I need the 321 to go with them...

the real SX-DNB, A320ceo (enhanced):
cn 6832 built as F-WWDJ in Nov. 2015 and delivered to Aegean as SX-DNB the same month and still flying for the airline.

the real SX-NEC, A320neo:
cn 9583 built as F-WWBF in Feb. 2020, delivered to Aegean as SX-NEC in March and still flying for the airline.

sxdnbnec by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
sxnec1 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
Note to self: don't shoot pictures in grazing light without 100% thoroughly dusting the model🫣
sxdnb3 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

Thanks all.

...Also what lenses did you use for the 2nd picture?
I used the Laowa 24mm f/14 2X probe for these "close ups" - barely any other lens type allows for such angles. Brilliant lens for nature/special objects or macro videography, not so much for these "model only" shots. The serious detail diorama builder or model railroader might want this lens though.
Owing to their pretty special constructions the probe's image quality sure falls way short of the quality you get from a Canon L-lens series of course, but they offer views no other lens type does.

Here's some more, 1/200 scale while the last one is a GeminiAces 1/72 Spit.
co741c by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
trall2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr
spit2 by Alexander Kern, auf Flickr

I used the Laowa 24mm f/14 2X probe for these "close ups" - barely any other lens type allows for such angles. Brilliant lens for nature/special objects or macro videography, not so much for these "model only" shots. The serious detail diorama builder or model railroader might want this lens though.
Owing to their pretty special constructions the probe's image quality sure falls way short of the quality you get from a Canon L-lens series of course, but they offer views no other lens type does.

Ah I see. Those look pretty nice! If my 24mm lenses let me, you don't mind if I copy and experiment with your idea right?

Thanks all.

Really cool lens, any other options for Sony users? Would seriously consider getting one sometime!

On the other hand, insane photos! Love how real they feel!

I didn't know of "probe lenses." It will be very useful for ramp shots on a diorama. Better start saving.