HYJLwings Air Guilin Trio

YesterAirlines

As you probably know two things I really like in 400 scale are Chinese airlines and unusual airlines so I was very pleased to be able to recently acquire direct from the owner of HYJLwings this trio of Air Guilin A319s. These were actually made as long ago as 2016 at the very start of HYJLwings and were made in low numbers (60, 90 and 120 units). HYJL's first models were A320s and A319s made by Panda Models but in keeping with the upmarket HYJL brand they still came with collector's cards and a handling glove (although it is made for Chinese people so I can't fit my hand in it!). HYJL produced a nice set of models so it's a shame to see them departing the scene. I'll probably try and do a write up for them soon.

AIRGUILIN_A319s_01.jpg

As is often the case in the West you may never have heard of the city of Guilin, in the Guangxi region, but it has a population of over 4 million. It is one of China's most popular tourist destinations thanks to the wealth of historical and cultural heritage it has, plus the region's Karst topography. Air Guilin is one of China's smaller airlines - another joint venture between the regional government and the HNA group. Operations commenced in 2016 with this trio of A319s, one of which, B-6192, wears a special scheme featuring Guilin scenery. Since then the fleet has expanded to 9 with 7 A320s joining (and one of the 319s departing). The airline's hub is Guilin Liangjiang Intnl Airport.

AIRGUILIN_A319s_02.JPG
AIRGUILIN_A319_B-6192_12.JPG
AIRGUILIN_A319_B-6193_06.JPG
AIRGUILIN_A319s_05.JPG

Attachments

• AIRGUILIN_A319s_01.JPG
    AIRGUILIN_A319s_01.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Very intresting models, but the engines on these give the impression to be a bit oversized...
It's the standard Aeroclassics / Panda mould so has been used a thousand times before. They might be slightly too long but it as I think as much of a case of the tyres being a little too small and the aircraft being a 319 not a 320.

桂林航空_Air_Guilin_桂林号_'Guilin'_special_Paint.jpg
AIRGUILIN_A319_B-6192_04.JPG

Always wanted to ask you why is that? I meant to ask you about it when we met in AMS, but I guess we got sidetracked.
I guess there are a few reasons:

- China is so exotic, foreign and diverse. Reading about the cities and culture which the airline aspects leads to is always interesting. Europe and the US are so familiar.

- From an aviation perspective I love the US regulated era and 80s/90s but nowadays the market is mature and rather boring. There's a small number of airlines and most markets are fulfilled already. Europe is the same, plus its filled with tacky LCCs. In China, like other growing markets, there is a massive diversity of airlines and insane growth in the system. It is far more interesting. New airlines and whole airports are popping up regularly and often with fabulous colour schemes and special liveries. You could say the same about India too but...

- Since all the models are made in China there is a good diversity of Chinese airliners being made so there's plenty to collect

- And lastly, running Yesterday's Airlines I need a portion of my collection which is modern so I have a reason to get A350s, 787s etc. China fulfils that need.

I am tempted by other emerging markets and dabble a lot in Indonesian aircraft, and also Iranian but there are a lot less models and a lot less airlines.

I guess there are a few reasons:

- China is so exotic, foreign and diverse. Reading about the cities and culture which the airline aspects leads to is always interesting. Europe and the US are so familiar.

- From an aviation perspective I love the US regulated era and 80s/90s but nowadays the market is mature and rather boring. There's a small number of airlines and most markets are fulfilled already. Europe is the same, plus its filled with tacky LCCs. In China, like other growing markets, there is a massive diversity of airlines and insane growth in the system. It is far more interesting. New airlines and whole airports are popping up regularly and often with fabulous colour schemes and special liveries. You could say the same about India too but...

- Since all the models are made in China there is a good diversity of Chinese airliners being made so there's plenty to collect

- And lastly, running Yesterday's Airlines I need a portion of my collection which is modern so I have a reason to get A350s, 787s etc. China fulfils that need.

I am tempted by other emerging markets and dabble a lot in Indonesian aircraft, and also Iranian but there are a lot less models and a lot less airlines.

I figured it was something like that. That's a good way to use the collection, to learn about unfamiliar places. Work has been taking me to Shenzhen with some regularity, and it reminds me of the first time that I traveled outside of Venezuela all over again. The airport is massive, filled with tons of airlines that I mostly heard about via the media, and many others that I didn't even know existed. As foreign and exotic as China is, it is still relatable; just about every city in the world has some form of Chinatown, not to mention that I grew up in a time in which everything said "Made in China."

So far I only have one model of a Chinese airline in the collection. Shenzhen 737 MAX. To me is the same as when I discovered Southwest Airlines during my first travels to Houston. I got some Southwest models then (1:500).

Air China has been a regular visitor at IAH for just over a decade. I remember I was at work during the first arrival, but made a trip to IAH at midnight to catch the departure (no kids at the time). It was cool to see a new airline at IAH, but it was anything but exotic as CA is a staple at most international airports. I don't feel the need to collect many IAH subjects though. Recently I have been getting some of the United/Continental flown-on types, and if I'm feeling spendy I might go for a model just because it flies into IAH, but in all honesty, that area of my collection feels a bit "forced" and if I decide to thin the collection they could be some of the first to go, and probably won't be missed too much. Like Chinese airlines for you, they are my excuse to get some modern types that I would not get to see otherwise.

The core of my collection is somewhat limited and I keep getting the same airlines over and over, but not bored yet. So far the mainstream classics of the 80s and 90s are by far my most rewarding purchases.