HYJLwings Legend: Air Transat A330 C-GITS - The Azores Glider

YesterAirlines

If you thought NG's 'Ultimate Collection' was overdoing it look away now, as HYJLwings has released its 'Legends' product, featuring an insane level of quality packaging and add-ons. This is very much a collaboration with the captain of the flight it commemorates - Flight236 the 'Azores Glider'. The pricepoint certainly reflects the overall product but it looks impressive.

HYJL_TG236.jpg

If you thought NG's 'Ultimate Collection' was overdoing it look away now, as HYJLwings has released its 'Legends' product, featuring an insane level of quality packaging and add-ons. This is very much a collaboration with the captain of the flight it commemorates - Flight236 the 'Azores Glider'. The pricepoint certainly reflects the overall product but it looks impressive.

View attachment 27717
Holy sh*t! Dude this is actually insane! I love having additional pieces to display along with the model, I hope HYJL drops more of these, especially with other important aviation events, perhaps Sully or the Gimli Glider!

Been looking forward to this one, ever since they'd announced it, more than a year ago or so I think. Curiously this article is so timely haha as I've been thinking about this recently.
An airline-aircraft-reg-avhistory combo that I'd really want - and especially ever since I'd watched the Mayday episode of this one a long time ago.
But that price tag is crazy crazy crazy
Understandable, yes, but crazy
But considering that little Aeroclassics models go for 100-150-200 USD routinely, yeah this definitely is a 'collectible of collectibles'

Last edited:
Been looking forward to this one, ever since they'd announced it, more than a year ago or so I think. Curiously this article is so timely haha as I've been thinking about this recently.
An airline-aircraft-reg-avhistory combo that I'd really want - and especially ever since I'd watched the Mayday episode of this one a long time ago.
But that price tag is crazy crazy crazy
Understandable, yes, but crazy
But considering that little Aeroclassics models go for 100-150-200 USD routinely, yeah this definitely is a 'collectible of collectibles'

Well, they went through the trouble of getting Captain Piché to endorse it - probably not too difficult to do, as I understand he enjoys very much his celebrity status.

Seems worthy of that price to me.

I like Piché, he used to be a drug-running pilot in a previous life. He also screwed up the fuel imbalance checklist the night of the Azores incident (a quite misunderstood checklist in many airliners), did not recognize the leak initially, and transferred fuel from the other side onto the leak, which is what ultimately resulted in the incident. Remarkably good save though. I remember that night ATC changed their proposed route to a more southerly North Atlantic Track due to traffic. Had they been able to stay on the original flight plan they would not have been able to make Lajes, all other things being equal. Pretty fascinating story in my book.

I like Piché, he used to be a drug-running pilot in a previous life. He also screwed up the fuel imbalance checklist the night of the Azores incident (a quite misunderstood checklist in many airliners), did not recognize the leak initially, and transferred fuel from the other side onto the leak, which is what ultimately resulted in the incident. Remarkably good save though. I remember that night ATC changed their proposed route to a more southerly North Atlantic Track due to traffic. Had they been able to stay on the original flight plan they would not have been able to make Lajes, all other things being equal. Pretty fascinating story in my book.
And after TS236, Captain Piché (and FO DeJager) also holds the record for the longest powerless glide in a commercial airliner, one more item to add to his already impressive resume!

Piché might not be perfect, but he was the right man that day. To err is human - I believe the improvements resulting from Flight 236 are far more important than trying to pin the blame on a specific party - Captain Piché has my respect for how humble he is afterward.

On the topic of this model, the original WeChat post is quite a fascinating read. HYJL mentioned that they were hesitant to approach Piché because not even the crew of the Canadian documentary series, Air Crash Investigation, managed to get ahold of him. Now here's a bit of context - Air Crash Investigation is immensely popular in China and has a massive cult following. TS236 was one of their first episodes and as a result, the incident has become iconic among Chinese aviation circles as far as I can tell. HYJL, having done something that not even their favorite show managed to do, definitely gained a massive bragging right, and probably explains why the model sold out in China despite the high price tag. Excellent research and write-up as always, Richard!

View attachment 27717
thats really cool, wayy out of my budget but definitely an incredible release!

Just working the checklist doesn't make heroes it seems.

But I Iike the charity idea behind this model.

Certainly not a cheap model. I think I could pony up the cash for this one. Question is, where to buy it. I’m guessing Threshold will secure some, but those could very well already have owners. Maybe Waffle with his connections?

If anyone hears anything please let me know.