How do you display your collection?

Hi all,

I am always curious to see how others display their collection. I prefer to keep my models in a glass cabinet and away from dust as much as possible. That's why I started out with an IKEA Detolf cabinet. The downside however was that I had to look down at the bottom shelfs and could not see the models properly.

That's why I decided to search for a hanging glass cabinet. That search was not easy (hard to find a glass cabinet at a decent price and right measures for model planes in the Netherlands). In the end only one option was a good one given my budget and style. But I am pleased how it turned out.

Curious to see how others display their models :)

Attachments

• 20221009_092026.jpg
    20221009_092026.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 20221008_181235.jpg
    20221008_181235.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20221008_151714.jpg
    20221008_151714.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221008_151506.jpg
    20221008_151506.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 39
Ahh, this will be interesting. I have been looking for new ideas to display my collection, I am sure this thread will come in useful. I love how you display your collection, were your cabinets custom-made or bought?

My collection is not so big, so I have them all on display on one shelf, always out of sunlight. They only get dusty quite quickly 😶

Indeed, suitable glass cabinets are hard to find at a sensible price. I have my collection in Kryss cabinets that were made by IKEA, but no longer. Therefore I have had to hunt for these on E. Bay and at collectors' fairs. Also they only had four shelves, so I have added extra glass shelves. IMG_0373.JPG

I keep my models in 2 IKEA "Billy" bookshelves with glass doors. I put in extra shelves so that I have 12 shelves in each unit. I also put in LED lighting above each shelf. I have room for well over 500 models now, so I still have plenty of space for growth... I'll post some photos of them shortly.

Mine was very inexpensive overall. I purchased everything before all of the price increases.
I do have photos of my display... I have the doors open to reduce glare/reflections.
First is the overall view...sorry for the poor quality of the photos.
Display overall.jpg
Next is cabinet one, on the left side:display unit 1.jpg
Csbinet 2, on the right side:display unit 2.jpg

Mine was very inexpensive overall. I purchased everything before all of the price increases.
I do have photos of my display... I have the doors open to reduce glare/reflections.
First is the overall view...sorry for the poor quality of the photos.
View attachment 2569
Next is cabinet one, on the left side:View attachment 2570
Csbinet 2, on the right side:View attachment 2571
Interesting that you display your models in the "other" direction. Actually looks pretty nice!

Interesting that you display your models in the "other" direction. Actually looks pretty nice!
Thank you. There's actually a reason for that. I have a few "tail draggers" that absolutely refuse to stand properly. When I anchored my cabinets to the wall, they are at a slight angle, so if I display them tails out, all of the tail draggers stay with their nose gear on the ground.

Last edited:
Thank you. There's actually a reason for that. I have a few "tail draggers" that absolutely refuse to stand properly. When I anchored my cabinets to the wall, they are at a slight angle, so if I displaythem tails out, all of the tail draggers stay with their nose gear on the ground.
That is very clever! We must always be adapting in our constant fight against the tail-draggers! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, and it actually worked. Even on my first Southwest 737-500 that refused to stay nose gear on ground no matter what I did. This is the only solution that has worked so far.