GeminiJets & NG Models are both good...?

Since some folks seem to be ranking brands, here's mine:

NG >= AV400 > JC/GJ > PH

I've no experience with AC, since classics are mostly outside my criteria.

Interesting, in my case, I can't say much about the current Aviation 400 because their releases couldn't be further away from my collecting criteria, though I've been thinking about getting something from them to see firsthand what all the fuzz is about. I do have one (1) of the 707s the old Aviation 400 released a while back, and have used two of their 727s as donors, those models are alright...

As far as ranking brands, it is difficult for me since I usually go for the subject, and who made it becomes largely circumstantial. But it seems like the releases that I expect the most every month are Aeroclassicss/NG then Phoenix, and lastly GJ. Out of the sporadic brands, definitely JC wins for me.

Interesting, in my case, I can't say much about the current Aviation 400 because their releases couldn't be further away from my collecting criteria, though I've been thinking about getting something from them to see firsthand what all the fuzz is about. I do have one (1) of the 707s the old Aviation 400 released a while back, and have used two of their 727s as donors, those models are alright...

As far as ranking brands, it is difficult for me since I usually go for the subject, and who made it becomes largely circumstantial. But it seems like the releases that I expect the most every month are Aeroclassicss/NG then Phoenix, and lastly GJ. Out of the sporadic brands, definitely JC wins for me.
AV400 pack a ton of moulded details into their models - they're the only 400-scale brand to feature jeweled beacon lights. They're better than NG in this regard. I still prefer NG due to better printing, aerials and landing gear. NGs are overall more refined, and are almost indistinguishable from 1:200s. Can't say the same for any other 1:400 brand.

AV400 pack a ton of moulded details into their models - they're the only 400-scale brand to feature jeweled beacon lights. They're better than NG in this regard. I still prefer NG due to better printing, aerials and landing gear. NGs are overall more refined, and are almost indistinguishable from 1:200s. Can't say the same for any other 1:400 brand.

I saw that AV400 was putting jewels for beacons in 1:400 models, very impressive and innovative. That's good to know that looking at the overall product, NG still has a bit of an edge.

I think Gemini Jets has problems but they do produce good moulds and planes, there are some moulds which are bad but ok enough for me to buy if I need it like there 737ng old 777/787s etc along with some pretty decent ones like there new 787. they have some moulds that av400 and Ng don’t have smaller planes in particular like the crj, e175, Q400 and more. To be honest when buying a model whether I am buying from ng av4 or gj is not the first thing I think about. If I have a choice I will pick an av4 or ng but not going to go far out of my way or wait around for an Ng release of the plane.
there are exceptions to that rule depending on the mould though, in my opinion gj a320 with cfms is bad enough I will skip out on a release I want from time to time if I think ng might do it in the future like the aa a319 same with there old crj mould. But besides those too examples and any other odd balls I am ok with what gj makes.
I will also go out of my way to avoid aero classics for modern models if possible along with some phoenix and jc planes but for the most part I am ok with the quality present in 1:400( it also dose seem to be on the up swing with new moulds and updated moulds being released)

I took my time to reply to this thread because I honestly couldn't find anything to add to what already has been said. So I guess I will just repeat the things I agree with most, and add my own points where I think necessary:

Gemini is not my first choice. This is for a few reasons; outdated moulds, inferior printing, and higher prices. Like others here, I have actually had more QC issues with NG than with Gemini. Despite this, NG is my go-to manufacturer and it is tied with Aeroclassics for the most excitement before release. I still buy a lot of Gemini models for two reasons; smaller moulds (Dash 8s, Fokkers, 717s, CRJs) and because they release more models that fit my criteria than any brand other than Aeroclassics.

If we are ranking brands, mine goes like this: NG=AC>AV=JC/GJ>PH. This ranking does not determine whether or not I buy a model, instead it shows my preferences. For example: When PH and NG released the Star Alliance Air NZ A321neo, I chose the NG because it had a superior mould and was therefore higher on my list.

Ultimately, if any brand makes a model that I want, and there is not a better version available, I will buy it regardless. This hobby is about displaying our love of aviation and that is what I care about most in my models. As long as it resembles the real aircraft in some way, I will buy it. That’s my two cents. :D

I'd like to see more diverse releases from Gemini. I have a feeling that their releases are almost the same all the time!
Emirates A380, an American or Air Canada plane, special liveries... and that's all. That's absolutely boring!

I like when they go in full exotic mode. I own a SAFAIR L-100 model from Gemini and I think it's so nice! It could easily be an Aeroclassics release (I don't think they have the mould, but you get my point).

NG will always have my attention due to their fantastic moulds and quality, but I agree they seem to be quite repetitive lately.
I'd like to see a bit more classics from them, but I also understand that modern models will always sell better.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more diverse releases from Gemini. I have a feeling that their releases are almost the same all the time!
Emirates A380, an American or Air Canada plane, special liveries... and that's all. That's absolutely boring!

I like when they go in full exotic mode. I own a SAFAIR L-100 model from Gemini and I think it's so nice! It could easily be an Aeroclassics release (I don't think they have the mould, but you get my point).

NG will always have my attention due to their fantastic moulds and quality, but I agree they seem to be quite repetitive lately.
I'd like to see a bit more classics from them, but I also understand that modern models will always sell better.

It is aggravating because the GJ/JC group holds the biggest selection of 1:400 molds. Including some cool contemporary classics such as the BigBird and GeminiJets 747-100/200 (dated, but the best available) and their superb 747-400. Their 727s are also my favorites, very underutilized. Then there is their MD-80, which is kind of ugly, but still very worthy of holding some of the many neglected MD-80 liveries in 1:400. Heck, even their DC-10 could sell if they put some nice liveries on it a d tweak it a bit, like they did with the 763.

Speaking of GJ, it seem that what I thought was bad luck or coincidence, is a well-stablished weakness in the GJ production process: they have a decades long high incidence of misprinted cockpit windows.

I'd reckon certain classics would vastly outsell some of these 'sticker/special' liveries that other brands have already saturated the market with

Gemini Jets releases certain models based on corporate orders, meaning that airlines order scale models from them. The bulk of the order goes to the airline while the remainder gets released to us, the public. However, I do agree that GJ should go with more diversity in their releases. I’d like to see more interesting stuff in place of the monthly Emirates release or, heck, even some of the US stuff they like to do too, even if I’m a big US collector.

Maybe I‘m not long enough into collecting so that I might not know enough of the brand‘s history but what puzzles me is the huge quality difference between two recent models from GJ that I picked up:

The first GJ plane I got was the Air France 787-9 which was a huge disappointment for me: especially the wing mounts and some missing antenna made the model look awful to me (see all weak spots marked on the picture). But on some pictures or in some videos I see 787s from GJ that seem to have better moulds with better wing mounts and all antennas. How can that be as the Air France 787 is from recent time?!? Anyway, I replaced it with the NG version as soon as I found one on eBay. 😁

The second GJ plane I got is the Cargolux 747-8F “Not Without My Mask” and this one is great. Nothing to complain here… 😊

Now these quality differences between even recent GJ models are confusing me. Does anybody know something about the reasons?

☹️
D66A76C8-F43D-421B-BC8F-9134D3808974.jpeg

😊
A9E2ABF9-7689-40BC-AC70-CE96109E613D.jpeg

I have the 748 as well and it’s superb
But I can’t say anything for a 787 as I have a childish dislike for it lol thus not having any models of it…
Wishing you all a safe and happy new year filled with all the models you want

Aviation yyz/MH aviation

Maybe I‘m not long enough into collecting so that I might not know enough of the brand‘s history but what puzzles me is the huge quality difference between two recent models from GJ that I picked up:

The first GJ plane I got was the Air France 787-9 which was a huge disappointment for me: especially the wing mounts and some missing antenna made the model look awful to me (see all weak spots marked on the picture). But on some pictures or in some videos I see 787s from GJ that seem to have better moulds with better wing mounts and all antennas. How can that be as the Air France 787 is from recent time?!? Anyway, I replaced it with the NG version as soon as I found one on eBay. 😁

The second GJ plane I got is the Cargolux 747-8F “Not Without My Mask” and this one is great. Nothing to complain here… 😊

Now these quality differences between even recent GJ models are confusing me. Does anybody know something about the reasons?

☹️
View attachment 8980

😊
View attachment 8981
Regarding the GJ 787-9, they have used the older mould sometimes. I know recently they did a LATAM and it was on the cradle mould, but they also did a British Airways 787-8 recently with a flaps down release and it got the newer slot-in mould from JC. So I guess it depends on if they do a flaps down to complement the release, they will release it on the newer, better mould.

I have the 748 as well and it’s superb
But I can’t say anything for a 787 as I have a childish dislike for it lol thus not having any models of it…
Wishing you all a safe and happy new year filled with all the models you want

Aviation yyz/MH aviation
I understand... what's up with all those smooth curves and pointy wings? It looks like a spaceship, it lacks the character of a real jetliner 😅. Where have the sharp angles and smokey engines gone?! What a disgrace! I'm mostly kidding, but I can see how someone can instinctively dislike the 787. I have to say that is growing on me slowly, and the A350 is actually starting to call my attention more and more, I think it looks more interesting than the Dreamliner, but still nothing like a 747 or a tri-jet. Only two Dreamliners in my collection and no A350s so far.

As far as the JC/GJ 748, they did mess up the hump enough for it to jump at me.

I'd reckon certain classics would vastly outsell some of these 'sticker/special' liveries that other brands have already saturated the market with

I think we are definitely at a prime time for what I refer to as contemporary classics (airliners from the 70s-200s), as opposed to vintage classics (propliners, and pre-70s jets).

Plenty of us missed out on the initial wave that took place in the early 2000s, we are still very active and willing to drop cash on a second wave of re-releases in updated molds, and I bet there is even enough demand to warrant certain re-releases in the same old molds that still exist (BB 74s...) As you said, given the current exaggerated response to the perceived higher demand for ultra-modern stuff, and the stiff competition to satisfy that market might make those contemporary classics strong sellers right this minute (low supply high demand). Wait a decade and some of us (the demand) might have moved on. We can see this with the propliner market, it is becoming more and more niche, almost exclusively served by Aeroclassics, and AK himself has recently said multiple times that they are running out of sellable subjects.

I think there will always be demand for classic/vintage/historic types, but it will likely not be enough to warrant mass production and those who want those models will have to look for more artisanal ways to obtain their desired aircraft models.

Or... maybe in some years, we will see a wave of thirst for aviation history among the collectorate, and a 1:400 version of the Wright Flyer will become the hot seller of the moment with JC, NG and Aeroclassics all producing molds for it.

I understand... what's up with all those smooth curves and pointy wings? It looks like a spaceship, it lacks the character of a real jetliner 😅. Where have the sharp angles and smokey engines gone?! What a disgrace! I'm mostly kidding, but I can see how someone can instinctively dislike the 787. I have to say that is growing on me slowly, and the A350 is actually starting to call my attention more and more, I think it looks more interesting than the Dreamliner, but still nothing like a 747 or a tri-jet. Only two Dreamliners in my collection and no A350s so far.

I think we are definitely at a prime time for what I refer to as contemporary classics (airliners from the 70s-200s), as opposed to vintage classics (propliners, and pre-70s jets).

Plenty of us missed out on the initial wave that took place in the early 2000s, we are still very active and willing to drop cash on a second wave of re-releases in updated molds, and I bet there is even enough demand to warrant certain re-releases in the same old molds that still exist (BB 74s...) As you said, given the current exaggerated response to the perceived higher demand for ultra-modern stuff, and the stiff competition to satisfy that market might make those contemporary classics strong sellers right this minute (low supply high demand). Wait a decade and some of us (the demand) might have moved on. We can see this with the propliner market, it is becoming more and more niche, almost exclusively served by Aeroclassics, and AK himself has recently said multiple times that they are running out of sellable subjects.

I think there will always be demand for classic/vintage/historic types, but it will likely not be enough to warrant mass production and those who want those models will have to look for more artisanal ways to obtain their desired aircraft models.

Or... maybe in some years, we will see a wave of thirst for aviation history among the collectorate, and a 1:400 version of the Wright Flyer will become the hot seller of the moment with JC, NG and Aeroclassics all producing molds for it.
As a kid I used to love sleek twins like the 787 or A350, but as I've grown older I've cooled on them somewhat. I've instead developed an affinity for contemporary classics with a modern twist like the 747-8. It's annoying how GJ/JC got the hump and printing so wrong, so I've got huge hopes for NG's version.

Last edited:

Yeah i mean it’s not bad and the a350 is better but it’s no match to a 747 or dc-10
It is just too modern and common for me
Like how many of those has Boeing built probably well over 1,000

As a kid I used to love sleek twins like the 787 or A350, but as I've grown older I've cooled on them somewhat. I've instead developed an affinity for contemporary classics with a modern twist like the 747-8. It's annoying how GJ/JC got the hump and printing so wrong, so I've got huge hopes for NG's version.
Same for me! I think I started to like the 70's-90's era airliners when I was around 11 or 12 and then after I did a bit of Kai Tak research I just didn't like the modern airliners as much.

Same for me! I think I started to like the 70's-90's era airliners when I was around 11 or 12 and then after I did a bit of Kai Tak research I just didn't like the modern airliners as much.
The footage from Kai Tak with the vintage 747s and Tristars is amazing. Though I'm still a modern-type guy, I find the 777 to be horribly boring. It's just so bland and ubiquitous - yet I can't help buying models of it since it's the type I've flown the most on. 787s and A350s weren't around when I was young, so they're at least somewhat novel.

The footage from Kai Tak with the vintage 747s and Tristars is amazing. Though I'm still a modern-type guy, I find the 777 to be horribly boring. It's just so bland and ubiquitous - yet I can't help buying models of it since it's the type I've flown the most on. 787s and A350s weren't around when I was young, so they're at least somewhat novel.
Well the 777 is better than 787 but no match to dc10