Aeroclassics May speculations

So good to see people praising Dragon Wings nowadays. I love their models, really sad that they're no longer around.
Their 747 mould still have a fantastic shape after all these years. The 727 also looks very good!

Here's a snap of my catch from this set. This is a very important addition to my collection. My first precision die-cast model was a Herpa Federal Express DC-10 in 1:500 (the original one is in pieces back home, but I have since re-purchased it). The first time I saw the Purpletop livery was at CCS, and the aircraft wearing it was a 727 (can't remember the series).

The entire run seems to suffer from too low cockpit windows, but otherwise, my example is very good, except for the fact that someone seems to have taken a bite out of that "r." Thanks, @AKlein707

DSC_2112.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a snap of my catch from this set. This is a very important addition to my collection. My first precision die-cast model was a Herpa Federal Express DC-10 in 1:500 (the original one is in pieces back home, but I have since re-purchased it). The first time I saw the Purpletop livery was at CCS, and the aircraft wearing it was a 727 (can't remember the series).

The entire run seems to suffer from too low cockpit windows, but otherwise, my example is very good, except for the fact that someone seems to have taken a bite out of that "r." Thanks, @AKlein707

View attachment 16621
I see what you mean about the low cockpit windows. As far as the 727 you saw at CCS, my guess would be it was a 200. If I recall correctly, the 100s didn't fly much internationally other than Canada. Nice model, I'm very happy with mine.

800px-Boeing_727-233-Adv(F),_Federal_Express_AN0230167.jpg
I don't see how the cockpit windows are too low, they are just above the white line. Although the last window seems to point upwards a little too much. The shape is not steep enough which probably makes it look like the windows are too low, but this is a mould issue.

View attachment 16625
I don't see how the cockpit windows are too low, they are just above the white line. Although the last window seems to point upwards a little too much. The shape is not steep enough which probably makes it look like the windows are too low, but this is a mould issue.

Yes, I also noticed that the windows actually seem to be well positioned in relation to the rest of the livery, but they do look odd nonetheless. Something weird going on in the nose area definitely.

The 727 cockpit windows are positioned correctly, but they're pinched at the centres - thus making this awkward frown / angry expression.

Yes, I also noticed that the windows actually seem to be well positioned in relation to the rest of the livery, but they do look odd nonetheless. Something weird going on in the nose area definitely.
I think the cockpit windows itself are good, but if you apply them to a not-so-perfect mould it will always look a little weird like you said. You either have to modify the mould or change the cockpit window printing in such a way that it still looks good. I don't know exactly how the printing process works, but if it's some sort of digital image being printed by a computer it may not be too difficult.