Aeroclassics May speculations

So this is the first time a purpletop Federal Express 727-200 is released in 1:400? Crazy, you would think such a popular aircraft would have been scratched off long ago when all the sure-seller BigBird 747s were made. Nice to just buy it new at retail price. I associate that type of release with eBay bidding wars and $120 Facebook lisitngs. Nice!

Too bad it comes at a time when the AC 722 mold is starting to show its age and good use. The sample photo looks nice enough.

Yeah that's a scheme I love! Been looking for the 707 in that scheme AC had made many moons ago.
That’s another great model in that scheme, I was lucky to catch that 707 when it came out as well, in late 2015 IIRC. I think that and this latest 737 are the only 2 models to be released in these old Air Malta c/s so far in this scale. The 727s are the next ones we need, plus a 720, but that mould isn’t around anymore sadly.

Is the entire wing root supposed to be gray like that?

Rhetorical question?

It is a drawback of the Aeroclassics wing mount. Here is another example of incorrect markings in that area. Gemini can do a better job with their 722 tooling. Of course, slot-in wings would be ideal. AV400 had a 727 molds with slot-in wings. In spite of it, I didn’t like it.

Rhetorical question?

It is a drawback of the Aeroclassics wing mount. Here is another example of incorrect markings in that area. Gemini can do a better job with their 722 tooling. Of course, slot-in wings would be ideal. AV400 had a 727 molds with slot-in wings. In spite of it, I didn’t like it.
The Swiss DC-10 also has this issue. It's not a dealbreaker, but still very noticable.

Then it's not because of the mould, but the entire area around the wings is white/light grey even though most of should be the same as the belly.

Then it's not because of the mould, but the entire area around the wings is white/light grey even though most of should be the same as the belly.

If I am following correctly, I think we are talking about two different things.

I’m not too familiar with the Swissair livery, but based on your explanation then yes, it does sound like an error in the livery and not an obstacle imposed by the mold.

In the case of the 727-200, I have never seen Aeroclassics go through the hassle of detailing the wing fairing (unrelated to wether they know or don’t how the livery should look like). It seems like the most prominent color is chosen. In this case, that area of the Federal Express 727-200 should be half white and half light grey. Aeroclassics chose to make it grey.

Can it be done correctly, of course, in fact IF200 does apply detailing to theirs in 1:200 (same faring as AC’s). But it clearly adds a whole new layer of complexity to the manufacturing process, likely for very little return in terms of how much better will the model look in 400 scale.

Can it be done correctly, of course, in fact IF200 does apply detailing to theirs in 1:200 (same faring as AC’s). But it clearly adds a whole new layer of complexity to the manufacturing process, likely for very little return in terms of how much better will the model look in 400 scale.
The smallest detail does make it worth it to collectors. We wouldn’t be having these conversation if it didn’t! Technology has gone up in leaps and bounds from the early 2000s. Competition helps others to improve, if you don’t you’ll eventually close shop. If AC doesn’t improve I don’t see them lasting another 10+ years.
But let’s be honest, if Gemini had its printing issue resolved on the 727 and released this purple top next month which one would you buy?

Can it be done correctly, of course, ...But it clearly adds a whole new layer of complexity to the manufacturing process, likely for very little return in terms of how much better will the model look in 400 scale.

Yes, Aeroclassics certainly seems to be cutting production costs as much as possible. Saving an extra pad print step like this, omitting aerials or replacing pad printed details from earlier releases with easier/cheaper to do airbrush stenciling on later stuff ("as long as it looks good from 3ft away"). And of course by milking the last dollar out of seemingly worn out moulds and reducing research to a minimum. Sadly, not much seems to be left from the leading brand I once loved to collect. You hear my fustration?
The "product" Aeroclassics seems to be long since in its degeneration phase and I quite honestly was surprised to see it still beeing alive when NG brought me back to collecting in 2020. This stuff still sells quick regardless and as "classics" are a niche every sold model reduces the potential market for a better product which is a shame if you ask me. Well, I don't give up hoping for a "2023-standard" 727-100/200 mould by whoever is willing to do one.

As I essentially missed any development between 2013 and 2020, when did Aeroclassics come up with some real innovation/new or improved product btw?

If I am following correctly, I think we are talking about two different things.

I’m not too familiar with the Swissair livery, but based on your explanation then yes, it does sound like an error in the livery and not an obstacle imposed by the mold.

In the case of the 727-200, I have never seen Aeroclassics go through the hassle of detailing the wing fairing (unrelated to wether they know or don’t how the livery should look like). It seems like the most prominent color is chosen. In this case, that area of the Federal Express 727-200 should be half white and half light grey. Aeroclassics chose to make it grey.

AC did do it on the Western 727.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
AC did do it on the Western 727.

Oh wow! first time I see it done.

After seeing their Mexicana and DHL examples, among others (like the recent Federal Express), I just assumed they did not mess with that are at all:

image.php

image.php

The smallest detail does make it worth it to collectors. We wouldn’t be having these conversation if it didn’t! Technology has gone up in leaps and bounds from the early 2000s. Competition helps others to improve, if you don’t you’ll eventually close shop. If AC doesn’t improve I don’t see them lasting another 10+ years.
But let’s be honest, if Gemini had its printing issue resolved on the 727 and released this purple top next month which one would you buy?
I would definitely get the Gemini.

Yes, Aeroclassics certainly seems to be cutting production costs as much as possible. Saving an extra pad print step like this, omitting aerials or replacing pad printed details from earlier releases with easier/cheaper to do airbrush stenciling on later stuff ("as long as it looks good from 3ft away"). And of course by milking the last dollar out of seemingly worn out moulds and reducing research to a minimum. Sadly, not much seems to be left from the leading brand I once loved to collect. You hear my fustration?
The "product" Aeroclassics seems to be long since in its degeneration phase and I quite honestly was surprised to see it still beeing alive when NG brought me back to collecting in 2020. This stuff still sells quick regardless and as "classics" are a niche every sold model reduces the potential market for a better product which is a shame if you ask me. Well, I don't give up hoping for a "2023-standard" 727-100/200 mould by whoever is willing to do one.

As I essentially missed any development between 2013 and 2020, when did Aeroclassics come up with some real innovation/new or improved product btw?

I understand. In fact I am going to confess that as much as I look forward every month to the Mata Hari report hoping to find a YV among the hints, part of me hopes that none are released until (if ever) their quality improves somehow. One would have to be blind not to notice that their current product is much inferior to what they were putting out in 2010 with the same molds.

Just because I tend to settle for what's being offered instead of abstaining until the perfect model shows up, it doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to have a lineup of top-notch offerings to choose from. I just don't perceive the act of buying less-than-ideal models as something that "reduces the potential market for a better product."

You keep saying that you'd like to see a bunch of molds updated to 2023-standards (MD-80, 727s). Is that wishful thinking only or have there been signs of a manufacturer trying to do something like that? I just don't see it happening anytime soon, and the longer we wait, the less likely.

I personally think the best shot is someone with the right attitude and loads of extra cash taking over Aeroclassics when AK retires, and bringing the company to 20XX-standards. At any rate, I will always buy what I like and can justify paying for.

Last edited: