Aeroclassics January speculations

There are some pictures showing HS-TMC with the Thai titles on the #2 nacelle. I also think I see what you mean with the white #2 intake/lip (are we talking about the same part of the engine?). But all the Thai DC-10 pictures that I found show the same style lip. Looking at the pictures of the model seems like the #2 intake piece came out oversized. Maybe that's why they painted half of it white? I could totally be missing the point though.

0282556.jpg

Run down:
Southwest Airlines Boeing 737MAX8 N871HK (Desert Gold Retro)
Air Hawaii Douglas DC-10-10 N904WA
Delta Air Lines Boeing 737-200 N322DL (Colors in Motion)
Delta Express Boeing 737-200 N325DI (Colors in Motion)
Continental Douglas DC-9-32 N3543NY (Red Meatball Tail)
Continental Douglas DC-9-32 N351AT (Black Meatball Tail)
Austrian Airlines Airbus A320 OE-LBU
Thai Airways Douglas DC-10-30 HS-TMC
U.S. Airways Airbus A330-300 N275AY

There are some pictures showing HS-TMC with the Thai titles on the #2 nacelle. I also think I see what you mean with the white #2 intake/lip (are we talking about the same part of the engine?). But all the Thai DC-10 pictures that I found show the same style lip. Looking at the pictures of the model seems like the #2 intake piece came out oversized. Maybe that's why they painted half of it white? I could totally be missing the point though.

0282556.jpg

Blimey - so I was wrong in this case, and glad that I was because your picture confirms that the model is indeed correct for a later era DC-10…evidently my research was not as thorough as that of the BA 747s 😅 However, at some point early on those #2 titles were removed, as the picture I attach of the same aircraft shows; and all the others I had checked showed that later fleet minus the titles on #2. Again all this underlines how nothing is ever straight-forward with the differences in details!

Yes, we are talking about the same part - that #2 intake was also painted white at some later stage on these DC-10-30ER variants they operated, this might have been after the ‘Thai’ on the #2 was removed though however. But, this is a minor thing.

So, the model is another variant of the later DC-10-30ER fleet, adding to previously released HS-TMA in 2008. Which means we are still missing an original 1970s delivery example from AC 😂

Attachments

• 06387744-5245-4087-A37B-EADC762945C2.jpeg
    06387744-5245-4087-A37B-EADC762945C2.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Blimey - so I was wrong in this case, and glad that I was because your picture confirms that the model is indeed correct for a later era DC-10…evidently my research was not as thorough as that of the BA 747s 😅 However, at some point early on those #2 titles were removed, as the picture I attach of the same aircraft shows; and all the others I had checked showed that later fleet minus the titles on #2. Again all this underlines how nothing is ever straight-forward with the differences in details!

Yes, we are talking about the same part - that #2 intake was also painted white at some later stage on these DC-10-30ER variants they operated, this might have been after the ‘Thai’ on the #2 was removed though however. But, this is a minor thing.

So, the model is another variant of the later DC-10-30ER fleet, adding to previously released HS-TMA in 2008. Which means we are still missing an original 1970s delivery example from AC 😂
I googled just out of curiosity, to see what were you guys talking about. Digging deeper, I agree, HS-TMC only wore the Thai titles on the #2 engine very briefly. Andrew has always shown a tendency to produce rare subjects, and it seems like in recent times it's taking it to whole new level, purposely producing aircraft of which even pictures of the real thing are difficult to find.

Done a bit more digging and it gets more complicated 😂

The info I can find on HS-TMC confirms a delivery date of 26.05.1988 and the picture I already attached is dated June 1988 - it’s factory fresh - and no titles on #2! Other early photos confirm this as well - another one from 1990:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8805517

Can you confirm a date for your picture? As it looks like a narrow window in which the #2 titles were applied and it would be interesting to know when this was. Even decal sets are made representing the DC-10-30ER (& MD11) minus those #2 intake titles, as pretty much all the pictures confirm this as the prototypical livery. Aeroclassics, true to their form, have definitely picked out a very niche variation here!

Attachments

• 19FA58BF-7FAE-4973-8B32-ED6F279CA40A.jpeg
    19FA58BF-7FAE-4973-8B32-ED6F279CA40A.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 54008D0D-6309-494C-A769-A9BA48E27C38.jpeg
    54008D0D-6309-494C-A769-A9BA48E27C38.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 2
I googled just out of curiosity, to see what were you guys talking about. Digging deeper, I agree, HS-TMC only wore the Thai titles on the #2 engine very briefly. Andrew has always shown a tendency to produce rare subjects, and it seems like in recent times it's taking it to whole new level, purposely producing aircraft of which even pictures of the real thing are difficult to find.
We were doing this at the same time - just posted my bit of extra research now 😂 Exactly, this is on another level, I was really keen on a 1970s delivery example, as it fits my criteria. With an 80s/90s version already made I fully expected it to be just that, so this brief variant has really thrown a wobbler! I think I’ll still get this though, I quite like all this trivia behind it and it’s almost like Andrew is having a bit of fun with this release, it certainly tripped me up that’s for sure!

Done a bit more digging and it gets more complicated 😂

The info I can find on HS-TMC confirms a delivery date of 26.05.1988 and the picture I already attached is dated June 1988 - it’s factory fresh - and no titles on #2! Other early photos confirm this as well - another one from 1990:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8805517

Can you confirm a date for your picture? As it looks like a narrow window in which the #2 titles were applied and it would be interesting to know when this was. Even decal sets are made representing the DC-10-30ER (& MD11) minus those #2 intake titles, as pretty much all the pictures confirm this as the prototypical livery. Aeroclassics, true to their form, have definitely picked out a very niche variation here!
Indeed it gets more complicated. There were two (2) Thai DC-10-30s registered HS-TMC. Here is the link to the picture I posted, It shows July 3 1987, it is former HS-TGD, which was re-registered as HS-TMC throughout 1987 before it was sold to SAS as OY-KDC.

The new Aeroclassics model is in fact correct as it shows the name Chaiprakarn under the windshield, making the model the re-registered version of HS-TGD. Crafty Andrew!

Indeed it gets more complicated. There were two (2) Thai DC-10-30s registered HS-TMC. Here is the link to the picture I posted, It shows July 3 1987, it is former HS-TGD, which was re-registered as HS-TMC throughout 1987 before it was sold to SAS as OY-KDC.
Crikey, great work…this explains a lot! So the model is in fact a DC-10-30 from the original 1970s batch, re-registered as HS-TMC after 1980 as the original reg. was given to a B.747. This explains why it has ‘Thai’ on the #2! They kept this one in the fleet for a while before selling it on…so it’s accurate for early-mid 1980s. Very interesting. The ‘new’ HS-TMC was the DC-10-30ER delivered in 1988 with HS-TMA & B, and the MD-11s, all of which did not have titles on the #2. Mystery solved!

So we’ve got ‘half’ of a ‘70s delivery version - just need another with an original reg. for a 100% version 😂

Last edited:
Crikey, great work…this explains a lot! So the model is in fact a DC-10-30 from the original 1970s batch, re-registered as HS-TMC after 1980 as the original reg. was given to a B.747. This explains why it has ‘Thai’ on the #2! They kept this one in the fleet for a while before selling it on…so it’s accurate for early-mid 1980s. Very interesting. The ‘new’ HS-TMC was the DC-10-30ER delivered in 1988 with HS-TMA & B, and the MD-11s, all of which did not have titles on the #2. Mystery solved!

So we’ve got ‘half’ of a ‘70s delivery version - just need another with an original reg. for a 100% version 😂

Correct. Fun fact, the airplane ended it service life with Ghana Airways, and today is a restaurant in Accra called La Tante DC-10 Restaurant. I am now becoming intimately familiar with this airframe, might need to get myself a copy! Good marketing strategy @AKlein707 !

Correct. Fun fact, the airplane ended it service life with Ghana Airways, and today is a restaurant in Accra called La Tante DC-10 Restaurant. I am now becoming intimately familiar with this airframe, might need to get myself a copy! Good marketing strategy @AKlein707 !
Brilliant, it just keeps getting better! I’ve got to hand it to Andrew, the research and choice of subjects is fantastic. I didn’t expect to go down this road, and have learnt a lot yet again in the process. A must-buy for certain after all this, and it actually does work for my criteria in the end!

Brilliant, it just keeps getting better! I’ve got to hand it to Andrew, the research and choice of subjects is fantastic. I didn’t expect to go down this road, and have learnt a lot yet again in the process. A must-buy for certain after all this, and it actually does work for my criteria in the end!
I have to agree...Andrew does an amazing job with the choice of subjects and also the research to go along with it.

Otherwise, after Air Hawaii I don’t think there’s many other original subjects left to be made on this particular casting - before any other ‘direct’ reissues might be made. Not sure that this is likely to happen though? I think the last few subject variations with particular detail/period differences are now being covered while this mould is still in use?
I think you're forgetting the requests for Laker Airways and British Caledonian with early capital letters and later lower case titles, to replace the old GJ versions.

I think you're forgetting the requests for Laker Airways and British Caledonian with early capital letters and later lower case titles, to replace the old GJ versions.
Absolutely, those 2 would be very welcome and are much needed, these indeed would be among those very few original subjects left to make. I've also mentioned these before in other threads...Laker Skytrain and British Caledonian 1970s delivery with 'capital' titles are top grails! I don't think the early style BCAL DC-10 has ever been made actually. The GJ release was the lower-case '80s version, which AC also released in 2021, with a polished belly.