Advice for cleaning models?

757heklaaurora

Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this, let me know if I need to delete it and ask somewhere else!

I just received an MD-11 model from ebay and it’s in good condition, except that it’s really dirty. It had a lot of finger prints on the top of it that I tried to rub off with water and that did nothing. Isopropyl alcohol helped but I can still see it in certain lighting. The bottom of the model is also dirty- like something greasy on it, but won’t come off easily. It’s like the marks and finger prints are embedded in the material.

Any suggestions on how to clean this? I’ve never had this problem with any of my model with a similar shiny metal surface. Any finger prints I’ve ever seen on my models wipe off easily, but wiping it with water and alcohol a few times hasn’t really done much. I’m not sure what else is safe to use to try to clean it, but I’d really rather not have to see someone else’s dirty fingers on my model…

CC6EF789-83C6-46B6-A144-C7C374E08BF1.jpeg
3C13257B-C18A-45E3-A5E5-8E02E4416B2A.jpeg

Going by those reflections I'd think that those finger prints are within the clear coat. As if someone touched it before the applied coating cured. Would also explain why you cant wipe them off.

If that is a "polished" model, the finger prints may not come out. There has been a problem with polished models sitting in the boxes reacting to the plastic strips used to protect the models, but reacting to the metal finish and tarnishing and staining the models forever. I have a few myself unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies!
If that is a "polished" model, the finger prints may not come out. There has been a problem with polished models sitting in the boxes reacting to the plastic strips used to protect the models, but reacting to the metal finish and tarnishing and staining the models forever. I have a few myself unfortunately.
This is what I was worried about. Too bad because it’s a model I was really excited for (the first MD-11

Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post this, let me know if I need to delete it and ask somewhere else!

I just received an MD-11 model from ebay and it’s in good condition, except that it’s really dirty. It had a lot of finger prints on the top of it that I tried to rub off with water and that did nothing. Isopropyl alcohol helped but I can still see it in certain lighting. The bottom of the model is also dirty- like something greasy on it, but won’t come off easily. It’s like the marks and finger prints are embedded in the material.

Any suggestions on how to clean this? I’ve never had this problem with any of my model with a similar shiny metal surface. Any finger prints I’ve ever seen on my models wipe off easily, but wiping it with water and alcohol a few times hasn’t really done much. I’m not sure what else is safe to use to try to clean it, but I’d really rather not have to see someone else’s dirty fingers on my model…

View attachment 16734
View attachment 16735
I had a similar problem with a Gemini Qantas 707... After trying to wipe it off with microfiber cloths, I got impatient and tried soaking it in warm water in an attempt to remove to marks. Bad idea. It dissolved some of the glue, and the cradle fell off. I glued it back on and just let it be.